Author Topic: Default Vote for Core Devs???  (Read 24940 times)

Offline Thom

How many people can actually vote right now? I can't. Clicking "update vote" does nothing. And I am on the latest version (linux; re installed today).

I can vote fine, v0.4.27.2 (built from source) on linux.

It would also be nice if there was a way for delegates to retire and reject all current votes, instead of just dropping block production and waiting to be voted out.  There are still init delegates that have more support than some developers.

Yet more info to support the claim one of BitShares fundamental building blocks (i.e. voting) needs much more attention paid to it. Not just the act of voting but also the infrastructure about the delegates, slates, metrics / performance stats etc. IMO most of that should be available inside the wallet.

There's been discussion on various threads about putting info on the blockchain. Delegate info should be published there, if nothing else as a public record of accountability for each delegates performance.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline Rune

• View Profile
I can't believe that we even discuss this... I don't even want to mention why this is a bad PR idea as I will give bad actors and FUDers food for thought..

I have another proposal as well... Let's make a delegate that is always voted and pay AGS shareholders every week. AGS shareholders were the ones who supported the project without expecting anything in return anyway..

Please delete this thread before too many people see it..

There's no need to censor this thread. It's obvious that BM just wants a discussion about this since a lot of the core devs are getting scared of losing their paycheck. Losing a core dev is still a lot worse than putting default votes in the official client, but I don't think either needs to happen. We just need to vote these guys in.

How about instead of having default votes, our entire community makes sure to make a lot of noise here in general discussion over the next couple of weeks to get everyone to vote for our core devs. They'll all be voted in soon enough.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
How many people can actually vote right now? I can't. Clicking "update vote" does nothing. And I am on the latest version (linux; re installed today).

It would also be nice if there was a way for delegates to retire and reject all current votes, instead of just dropping block production and waiting to be voted out.  There are still init delegates that have more support than some developers.
Voting def. doesn't work for me and I have the latest version (built from source today).

Delegate retiring would make a lot of sense.

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
I can't believe that we even discuss this... I don't even want to mention why this is a bad PR idea as I will give bad actors and FUDers food for thought..

I have another proposal as well... Let's make a delegate that is always voted and pay AGS shareholders every week. AGS shareholders were the ones who supported the project without expecting anything in return anyway..

Please delete this thread before too many people see it..

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
I think eventually the client needs a 'Delegate Campaigns' tab which shows delegate bids right in the client, possibly also with 'Delegate Slate Campaigns'. We could have a semi-annoying reminder every once in a while, or the delegate campaigns tab glowing a different color until they vote.
+5% +5% One example why this would be a good idea: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=12666.msg169179#msg169179

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
I think eventually the client needs a 'Delegate Campaigns' tab which shows delegate bids right in the client, possibly also with 'Delegate Slate Campaigns'. We could have a semi-annoying reminder every once in a while, or the delegate campaigns tab glowing a different color until they vote.

Offline callmeluc

• View Profile
I think that this is a terrible idea leading to a very bad PR and I would delete this thread before many people see that proposal and start spreading unnecessary FUD. We cannot afford any more BTS dumping and if you go down that road this will undoubtedly happen.

agree,
they can just come to one word, "privilege". people who spread FUD don't care what you really mean.
BTS_自扯自淡

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
How many people can actually vote right now? I can't. Clicking "update vote" does nothing. And I am on the latest version (linux; ....27.2-1; re installed today).
Link to issue: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=12519.msg166051#msg166051
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 06:08:37 pm by delulo »

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
I support a dialog on initial load, giving the user the ability to see who are in the slate, and a link to a thread describing the roles of each dev.

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
I think that this is a terrible idea leading to a very bad PR and I would delete this thread before many people see that proposal and start spreading unnecessary FUD. We cannot afford any more BTS dumping and if you go down that road this will undoubtedly happen.

+5%

How many core developers are not getting voted in anyway?

Offline davidpbrown

As per Rune.. keeping the controversy outside the client might be best. Pointers on how to in the wiki and have the forum host detail of slates, with perhaps a sticky slate detail of the core devs by way of strong indicator.

I think there is some advantage in making the core devs more apparent.. perhaps biographies, even if fictional can help their getting votes. Are the ~business cases put somewhere easy to navigate?.. Perhaps could add those to the wiki.

There's a rather good exhibition on at the London V&A about political movements and identity Disobedient Objects, which had me wonder that part of the way community and identity is encouraged is by tokens that acknowledge roles. Perhaps the forum could acknowledge people's roles in some way, so devs are less anonymous among the crowd.
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
While I am for this in principle, a slate might be a friendly comprise.

BTS wildpig brings up a good point that if a default YES vote for devs was included in the client it might help to continue to draw parallels between this project and memory coin.

A yes/no dev vote during installation would also be a good solution.

Its transparent and offers the same support.

It should be stated though how many delegates each Dev is requesting support for 

Offline callmeluc

• View Profile
Many of the core developers are critical to the success of BTS and they are implicitly trusted by everyone who downloads the wallet. 

For this reason I would like to suggest that the next release of the BTS wallet set the "default" approval for the following core developers:

Me, Toast, Nathan, Vikram, Valentine, James, Ben, Dan N., Eric F.   

Each of these guys is implicitly trusted and contributing directly to the github source.    This would really help the core team to get and keep the votes necessary without having to worry much about their salary.   Users could always "unvote" them.   

Thoughts?

Bad idea.
We all trust these guys, who have done a great job already. But what if someone don't deserve a delegate position anymore, or maybe just don't want this job anymore, for family reason or whatever it is, do we need a required upgrade to kick him out?

The easier BTS wallet becoming to use,  the less "default" there will be, the more vote they will get. No need to worry about that.

BTS_自扯自淡