Author Topic: So Bitcoin seems to be taking Bitshares down with it...  (Read 7539 times)

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
actually if we have a small rebound, all this fear of loss might turn in fear of missing out the next spike so people might just start panic buying turning the market bullish. that's a lot of "if"s but that's how people think
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline abelljefrry

While cryptos are being slaughtered, maybe this chart will work for guessing the future, someone will have to get it right eventually, lol

https://www.tradingview.com/v/8ss69KFu/

Need a designer for your project? Hire me! I accept BTS as payment :)

View my BitShares design portfolio here : bit.ly/BitSharesPortfolio

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
"Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked."

Warren Buffett

Offline vlight

• View Profile
  • BitShares: vlight
While cryptos are being slaughtered, maybe this chart will work for guessing the future, someone will have to get it right eventually, lol

https://www.tradingview.com/v/8ss69KFu/

Offline triox

• View Profile
  • BitShares: triox
I predict that if bitcoin goes down then ltc will go down with it. That is a prediction.

Again, you're not telling us anything about the future. You may claim that there's some link between both prices but you still don't know the future price of neither. You can observe that "today Bitcoin went down and without looking I predict that Litecoin went down also" but this is only applicable to the present and the past.

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
Every market goes through swings in sentiment. The only reason that the mined BTC coming to market, or retailers selling BTC, or anything else is an issue right now (as opposed to 14 months ago) is because sentiment is moving in the opposite direction. In late 2013, this was no issue at all because sentiment was on a massive upswing. Its the same sentiment cycle affecting all coins together, no manipulation required.

In my view, every day that BTC survives is a day that makes it stronger on the path toward a mainstream crypto-money. Investors then regular people will come more and more to believe in the security of the BTC block chain. Anecdotally, the amount of venture capital now looking in that direction is tremendous, and this investment will improve the utility of the network and ecosystem. In this context, volatility is a growing pain on the path to become mainstream. Volatility is not an innate property of any coin - it simply reflects the maturity of the market. We can't know for sure if BTC will be the one to get there first, but at this point, even deep into a bear market, there are no clear contenders close to rivalling BTC.

So I am not one to write off BTC just yet because of bear market. However there is still an opportunity for leadership change. If BTS or any other coin is to vie for this position, it must unambiguously demonstrate its added value to users and potential investors in the VC community, but there is a window of opportunity to prove this out before the growing network effects carve out all the secondary contenders.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
With all due respect, those models depend on volume. I question whether they can predict meaningful trends on something as thinly traded and subject to manipulation by a handful of market participants. My prediction: we get a functional client and we're off to the races. Until then, it probably won't move too much; how it does is anyone's guess. But if you're predicting upward movement, I'm always glad to hear it!

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
We should have a bottom within the next week, but bitcoin could drop into the 230s or so first. 

Based on Ryan and Chessnut's EW counts, we are in the fifth and final part of and endind diagonal which is the final move of the bear.  This move started last weekend and continues now. 
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline wesphily

• View Profile
I have a rule regarding "predictions":

All claims about sufficiently complicated chaotic future are fraudulent.
If btc is falling then ltc will fall and most alt coins.

This doesn't tell me anything about the future, it's not a prediction.

I predict that if bitcoin goes down then ltc will go down with it. That is a prediction. If you plan to further argue the definition of prediction then say your piece. I don't plan to further respond on the matter.

Offline triox

• View Profile
  • BitShares: triox

All claims about sufficiently complicated chaotic future are fraudulent.
If btc is falling then ltc will fall and most alt coins.

This doesn't tell me anything about the future, it's not a prediction.

chryspano

What if some traders (hard core bitcoiners) on normal days are buying and trading all major crypto and when bitcoin crashes they dump all the "altcoins" they have to increase their btc holdings?  can this method of trading be also a safety mechanism for bitcoin? What would happen if this bitoin crash was at the same time with the ripple rally a few weeks ago? bitcoin panic?

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Thanks to temporarily cheap energy, the U.S. dollar is killing everything else right now. Gold, oil, BTC: these commodities are all following fairly similar paths.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Most likely selling to report tax losses.  :P

A few days too late for that... more likely selling to cover taxes due.

Fortunately we have sold the last of our BTC in the 330 range.

Time to buy it back now! ;)  Or buy BTS!

Offline wesphily

• View Profile

All claims about sufficiently complicated chaotic future are fraudulent. It's impossible to predict outcomes outside of one's immediate control. We just keep telling ourselves that we can guess the future because prediction is the primary function of the neocortex and it was evolutionary advantageous to make random predictions than none at all.

I can guess a future with 100% accuracy until the mold is broken.............If btc is falling then ltc will fall and most alt coins. Only a onzie twozie alt coin will perform against bitcoin.

Why? In order to cash out you have to go through bitcoin which makes bitcoin the index. If you watch S&P 500 you will see that even the best performing stocks will pennant off when a bad drop is happening to the index.

If you ever see bitshares or some other 2.0 coin clearly go up against bitcoin going down then my prediction will no longer be valid. Till then, btc rules them all.