Author Topic: I bought Protoshares a long time ago, got sick, recovered, what happened??  (Read 1378 times)

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
1) What changes took place in protocol(s) and what is the future of Bitshares/PTS?

Protoshares was rebranded to BitShares PTS about a year ago. The protocol remained unchanged until about 6 weeks ago, when BitShares-PTS was upgraded to a DPOS chain. Check out our forum at http://ptstalk.org/ .

To be precise: the original PoW-chain still exists and is apparently still being mined by some people at a very low rate.

2) What happened to my shares? Do I deserve any new shares? If so, how do I claim them and my snapshot shares?
I only have access to old skool wallet.dat file and its keys.

Your old Protoshares (more precisely: the keys holding them) entitle you to BitShares (from the original genesis as well as in the form of a vested balance sharedropped later on DNS, PTS and VOTE holders). You can import your wallet.dat into the BitShares client to claim your shares. In the same way, you can import your wallet.dat into the new PTS client and claim your new PTS.

You will also receive shares in the upcoming Music and Play DACs, so keep your wallet.dat around.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
So far here's what I think I understand has happened while I was gone:
Protoshares -> Protoshares PTS -> Bitshares PTS -> Bitshares <- Bitshares X
Voting snapshot, DNS snapshot, Gaming snapshot, Music snapshot
Price way up -> Price way, way down
Supply slowly burning -> Supply suddenly grows, something about a merger?

What is most crucial for me is to at least understand are these two main points:
1) What changes took place in protocol(s) and what is the future of Bitshares/PTS?
2) What happened to my shares? Do I deserve any new shares? If so, how do I claim them and my snapshot shares?

Save your finger dexterity if there are links that already fully explain that.

Thank you thank you so much for taking your time to help me get back in the loop :)

Well, right now I'm working on a series over on bitcointalk that, when finished in the coming week, should be a resource to answer such Rip Van Winkle type questions.  For example:

The Origin of BitShares, Part 5

So far, there are seven installments there and I've covered the first six months since the birth of Protoshares in November 2013.

I'm trying to post there every day, and I should get to your specific questions in the next few posts.

Meanwhile, perhaps others can point out the most helpful links...
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline sharingthebit

• View Profile
So far here's what I think I understand has happened while I was gone:
Protoshares -> Protoshares PTS -> Bitshares PTS -> Bitshares <- Bitshares X
Voting snapshot, DNS snapshot, Gaming snapshot, Music snapshot
Price way up -> Price way, way down
Supply slowly burning -> Supply suddenly grows, something about a merger?

What is most crucial for me is to at least understand are these two main points:

Save your finger dexterity if there are links that already fully explain that.

Thank you thank you so much for taking your time to help me get back in the loop :)