Author Topic: Draft Content for New Bitshares.org HomePage  (Read 7404 times)

Offline pseudoscops

I literally think that this list/or some version of it is all that should be on the homepage. Take a look at these top websites:

https://www.tumblr.com/
https://asana.com
https://twitter.com/
https://www.paypal.com/
https://www.netflix.com
https://www.linkedin.com
https://www.pinterest.com

Each one of the above examples has minimal information on their homepage and one very obvious call to action to download or sign up - all of this above the fold. We should do something similar. You see this pattern with many successful online brands that require account creation. Don't give visitors the option to get side tracked or bored.

We should use the left hand side of the page above the fold for the points. Perhaps  the points could appear carousel style as they probably won't all fit on for standard desktop view, or just jquery fade in and out from one set of points to the next. The right hand portion of the screen should be reserved for a very obvious call to action button. A big download/create account button and perhaps a short youtube video taking you through the steps required to set up an account once you've installed the wallet. Seeing the wallet in action will show people it's a real working piece of software. A real distributed bank and exchange. We could auto-detect the platform (OSX, Win, Linux) so there is just one big button and not many. That's it. Everything else can be setup on specific landing pages (e.g. merchant specific stuff, whitepapers etc etc).

Within the format I've suggested above we should then start doing some A/B testing for the copy/order of the points, perhaps the videos (A/B test some of Max's longer BitsharesTV interviews)  and A/B the text used on the Wallet button download (e.g. Download Wallet, Open Account, Get Wallet etc...) and compare conversion rates based on these A/B experiments.

Yesterday we got 854 visitors (up from our usual 400-500 visitors):

https://clicky.com/stats/?site_id=100787377&date=2015-01-05

In the last 24 hours bitsharesblocks.com is reporting that we have had 40 new accounts created. That is a conversion rate of 4.6% visits to actual accounts - this isn't too shabby, but I'd wager it would be higher if we had a homepage that led people by the hand a little more and put downloading and installing the wallet in order to create an account right there first and front and centre.

Long term I would suggest that some web based sign up would be even better for conversions instead of pushing a download of the full client. I'm assuming some of the tech from the lightweight clients could be leveraged to make this possible on the main site eventually?

I'd be happy to consider working with Cass and Adam to make all this happen if it needs someone to code and project manage it. If BM and the team feel they need my help here then just ask. I'm spending so much time on this forum I may as well put some of my skills to use.

Anyway here's my mashup of all the suggestions, including some of my own. A little longer, but with the right design and optimization of the important one's, via A/B testing, I think we'd start to see better conversions from visitors to actual BitShares accounts. This as Adam mentioned is a very important KPI.

BitShares
The Decentralised Bank & Exchange

Secure
Ditch fractional reserve banking, risky centralised exchanges & fraudulent accounting.
Your balances are always 100% accountable & secured by an average of 300% collateral that's fully transparent and viewable in real time.

Maximise privacy
With BitShares your account is completely private. No personal details are required.

Low fees
Our fixed fee of $0.01 for any transaction or trade is one of the lowest in the world.

Earn Variable Interest
Balances earn a variable interest rate. Currently averaging APR X%

Fast
Transactions & trades execute in less than ten seconds.

Broad Selection
Keep balances in any major national currency or crypto-currency as well as gold, silver, oil & many more.

Decentralized
BitShares is simultaneously located in many countries at once, so it can never be shut down.

No Limits
Being decentralized means there are no withdraw limits.  You can trade any amount, at any time, from anywhere. 

Inclusive
Any one can create an account regardless of citizenship and without any identification.

Revolutionary
Remember how peer-to-peer file sharing revolutionized the film & music industry? The world of banking and finance is now evolving too! Get a wallet and see what all the excitement is about.

Any Currency. Any amount. Anywhere. Anytime.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 01:17:04 pm by pseudoscops »

Offline Rune

• View Profile
I think we should focus more on being a decentralized exchange, rather than a decentralized bank. There's not really any (conscious) demand for a decentralized bank, but there's plenty of demand for a decentralized exchange. I much prefer pitching bitshares as a decentralized exchange first and foremost, that also happens to work as a decentralized bank.

Offline jckj

• View Profile
Just had a quick look I think it looks really good.

My thoughts & input -

BitShares

Maximise privacy
With BitShares your account is completely private. No personal details are required.

Low fees
Our fixed fee of $0.01 for any transaction or trade is one of the lowest in the world.

Earn Variable Interest

Broad Selection
Keep balances in any major national currency or crypto-currency as well as gold, silver, oil & many more.

Decentralised
BitShares is simultaneously located in many countries at once, so it can never be shut down.

Secure
Ditch fractional reserve banking, risky centralised exchanges & fraudulent accounting.
Your balances are always 100% accountable & secured by an average of 300% collateral that's fully transparent and viewable in real time.

Fast

Good.

Offline davidpbrown

Let us approach this not with the mindset of finding the one true way, but rather to find multiple intuitively good drafts that we can test scientifically. Without multiple drafts and split testing and other scientific, data-driven methods, finding a unique solution comes down to intuitive voodoo. Metrics: Traffic, time on site, number of downloads, number of email signups, number of social media shares, quality of leads and inbound links.. What else?

That's a good catalyst.. spawns a thought that perhaps everything about this space is "Consensus. Consensus. Consensus.". So, any evidencing the reality of BitShares could be useful too. Data and statistics up front that support confidence and encourage consensus. Number of accounts (with balances - is that possible cf TITAN), number of members in the forum;reddit;twitter;xyz. Perhaps market data for assets too? If simple, perhaps also a GUI view with all live data in the same form as the GUI client, allowing users to explore immediately [Your Balance Goes Here]? Also data about delegates and the earning they make - that's a big positive. Hooks to draw new developers - number of active developers; number of commits; list of DACS active and ambitions. ?Job opportunities.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 11:34:20 am by davidpbrown »
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Let us approach this not with the mindset of finding the one true way, but rather to find multiple intuitively good drafts that we can test scientifically. Without multiple drafts and split testing and other scientific, data-driven methods, finding a unique solution comes down to intuitive voodoo. Metrics: Traffic, time on site, number of downloads, number of email signups, number of social media shares, quality of leads and inbound links.. What else?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 10:47:01 am by CLains »

Offline davidpbrown

It needs to be punchy and needs not to look like just another old bank advert.

I think some thought might be needed about who the audience is.. there will be different interests, naive individuals; financially savvy; crypto-curious random businesses; and potentially big money financial houses.

I would suggest more something like:

BitShares: Blockchain Bank & Exchange

Welcome to next generation banking!

Decentralised
BitShares uses blockchain technology to secure your account.

Currency Selection
Keep balances in any major national currency or crypto-currency as well as commodities such as gold; silver; and oil!

Earn Interest on Your Savings
Balances currently earn a variable interest rate averaging APR X%!

Privacy & Security
Your account is entirely private and being within the blockchain is entire secure. Note: that it is your responsibility to keep your account details safe, no third party companies are involved. Please keep backups of your wallet offline in a safe place.

Low fees
Transaction fee are among the lowest in the world. Current transaction fees are only $0.01.

BitShares Assured

Fast

Fun
The world of banking and finance is evolving! Get a wallet and see what all the excitement is about.

For more information see our FAQ at:
For other questions join our forum at:

Get an account for free here:
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
Better use BROAD instead of HUGE.

+5% I changed it.

Was just some thoughts. BM's original stuff is fine too. NullStreet are working on content as well.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 09:29:34 am by Empirical1.1 »

Offline CryptoPrometheus

• View Profile

My thoughts & input -

BitShares

Maximise privacy

Low fees

Earn Variable Interest

Huge Selection

Decentralised

Secure
Ditch fractional reserve banking & fraudulent accounting. Your balances are always 100% accountable & secured by an average of 300% collateral that's fully transparent and viewable in real time.

Fast

Good "active voice" & commanding. I like this wording much better than the op draft
"Power and law are not synonymous. In fact, they are often in opposition and irreconcilable."
- Cicero

Offline kisa

• View Profile
Better use BROAD instead of HUGE.

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile

My thoughts & input -

BitShares

Maximise privacy

Low fees

Earn Variable Interest

Broad Selection

Decentralised

Secure

Fast

« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 09:26:28 am by Empirical1.1 »

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop
When I introduce bitAssets to people, I said like, "You can invest foreign currency (USD, EUR, etc.) or gold/silver with 5% interest! No penalty, no high fee!"

For laypeople, an ability to invest any foreign currency and commodity with high interest is attracting.
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop

Offline mike623317

• View Profile
https://github.com/bytemaster/bytemaster.github.io/blob/master/home.html

I see that we have two simple pitches:

Our service - distributed escrow and order matching - aka distributed exchange.
Our product - frictionless, private, and stable currency with a 5% incentive to hold.

I think you are too worried about fallacies and covering every possible base when you pitch.  From now on, just pitch it simple.

I think this is true.
When i introduce BitShares to people usually they are not exactly sure what is is and it looks complicated in some respects. I think we need to keep the message simple and make the points obvious. You go to ripples website and its immediately obvious and easy to use.

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile

Bytemaster -- I've been following you for over a year now.

I see that we have two simple pitches:

Our service - distributed escrow and order matching - aka distributed exchange.
Our product - frictionless, private, and stable currency with a 5% incentive to hold.

I think you are too worried about fallacies and covering every possible base when you pitch.  From now on, just pitch it simple.
If you pitch it simple and they ask how's that? we then tell them that it's all written here in this whitepaper. 
If they can read the whitepaper, they're hooked; if they can't totally comprehend the whitepaper, they default to assuming it must be true.
Either they hit the simple pitch or they hit the white-paper pitch.

Thank you for all you are doing. Looking forward to getting this marketing stuff hammered out.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 04:22:44 am by Carpet Ride »
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile

Current website proposal looks just like old website.  We need to cut to the chase. Simple hooks, backed up by strong white papers. 
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline jshow5555

• View Profile
The Stable Bitcoin!

The Faster Bitcoin!

The Interest/Dividend Producing Bitcoin!

Meats the Decentralized Bitcoin Exchange!

To Form BitShares!