Author Topic: Are we forking?  (Read 1726 times)

Offline ElMato

• View Profile
Ok, it seems that we are NOT forking at a global level.

But, the node in the server continued doing the same until i deleted peers-db and restarted.
Now its staying on the main chain (100% delegate participation).

The question is, how is possible that a node in a minority fork force my node to switch to that invalid fork?
I was in the main chain!!

It happened to me once and the client (v0.4.27.2) managed to get back to the main chain without restarting... . (if you had v0.4.27 It would be definitely worst...you would  stay on the minority fork)

edit:   
from skype group: "BitShares | Delegates Coordination"

Saturday, December 20, 2014
[11:26:16 AM] Emil Velichkov: as we saw even 0.4.27.1 forks occassionaly (even if it corrects itself)
[11:26:27 AM] Emil Velichkov: it is possible for a fork to be kept alive by delegates on prior versions
[11:26:32 AM] Dan Notestein: that doesn't necessarily indicate a bug, however
[11:26:48 AM] Emil Velichkov: well the issue with the users is that they cannot be sure if they are on a fork or not
[11:27:06 AM] Dan Notestein: a working client can temporarily move to a fork if it doesn't have all the info from each side of the fork
[11:27:10 AM] Emil Velichkov: how could one spend money if he cant verify he is on the right fork ?
[11:27:30 AM] Dan Notestein: you can tell if you're on the right side of the fork by your delegate participation

Thanks liondani.
What we are going to do is don't allow any transfer/buy/sell if we are below 90% delegate participation rate.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

But, the node in the server continued doing the same until i deleted peers-db and restarted.

The question is, how is possible that a node in a minority fork force my node to switch to that invalid fork?

It happened to me once and the client (v0.4.27.2) managed to get back to the main chain without restarting... . (if you had v0.4.27 It would be definitely worst...you would  stay on the minority fork)

edit:   
from skype group: "BitShares | Delegates Coordination"

Saturday, December 20, 2014
[11:26:16 AM] Emil Velichkov: as we saw even 0.4.27.1 forks occassionaly (even if it corrects itself)
[11:26:27 AM] Emil Velichkov: it is possible for a fork to be kept alive by delegates on prior versions
[11:26:32 AM] Dan Notestein: that doesn't necessarily indicate a bug, however
[11:26:48 AM] Emil Velichkov: well the issue with the users is that they cannot be sure if they are on a fork or not
[11:27:06 AM] Dan Notestein: a working client can temporarily move to a fork if it doesn't have all the info from each side of the fork
[11:27:10 AM] Emil Velichkov: how could one spend money if he cant verify he is on the right fork ?
[11:27:30 AM] Dan Notestein: you can tell if you're on the right side of the fork by your delegate participation

« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 08:27:57 am by liondani »

Offline ElMato

• View Profile

Offline ElMato

• View Profile
- Desktop node was in a 100% delegate participation chain.
- Server node was in a low participation chain (about 12% or 0.12% don't remember well), 2hs behind.

I wanted to get in the main chain again, so i added hosts listed (in the client) by network_get_peer_info to the server.
Quickly the server was again in the main chain (info returned 100% participation rate)

But suddenly the participation rate started to drop (in the server).
As i'm writing this is at 66% and going down.

Last block in the server 1466059.
Last block in the client 1466114.

--- update
Participation rate in the server node stopped at ~61%.
Added a new node to the server and we are back on the main chain ... :|

« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 12:09:08 am by ElMato »