Author Topic: BitShare investing/trading  (Read 11003 times)

Offline bytemaster

If your funds are not touched for 1 year, 5% is destroyed and the transaction is moved forward.
If the balance is less than the minimum trx fee, then 100% is destroyed

The act of destroying BTS is how dividends are paid, so dividends do not disappear into a black hole.

The money supply is infinitely divisible, so losing supply is not a problem.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
I believe after 1 year the network starts reclaiming inactive addresses
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
Going back to the 5% inactivity fee, where dividends would more than compensate for this.
This may become a problem if people loose their bitshares (lost passphrase, hard drive etc). In such a situation, their address will continue to collect dividends, which will accumulate, collecting more dividends. This will create a blackhole for BitShares.

Stretch this out over a long period of time and BitShares will disappear into this black holes! Perhaps this will take very long and is nothing to worry about, but it is still a potential problem.

Maybe after 5 years of inactivity dividends stops being paid to those BTS. Then inactivity fees will recirculate the BTS back into the ecosystem.

Offline bytemaster

Correct only if you are in a short position

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
Yes, but this would only apply to persons holding positions in BitAssets and not persons simply holding BitShares for capital growth, correct?

Offline bytemaster

When reading through the bitshares white paper in came across inactivity fees and dividend dust as a way of collecting fees for the bitshare, dac. How will these fees come into play. I hope to hold bitshares for their capital appreciation and not use them for trading. Will fees apply to me.

Those fees only apply to inactive Bitshares. However, you could simply transfer your Bitshares to your own address to get out of the fees. As long as you do this once a year, you'll be fine. (If the original wallet doesn't do this automatically, someone will make a wallet that does)

This will save you the 5% penalty fee, but there will still be the normal transaction fee.  That said, dividends earned should more than compensate for this fee.
What other fees should steely eyed bit share holders look out for so as to not loose their precious assets?

If there is a margin call there is a 5% fee.

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
When reading through the bitshares white paper in came across inactivity fees and dividend dust as a way of collecting fees for the bitshare, dac. How will these fees come into play. I hope to hold bitshares for their capital appreciation and not use them for trading. Will fees apply to me.

Those fees only apply to inactive Bitshares. However, you could simply transfer your Bitshares to your own address to get out of the fees. As long as you do this once a year, you'll be fine. (If the original wallet doesn't do this automatically, someone will make a wallet that does)

This will save you the 5% penalty fee, but there will still be the normal transaction fee.  That said, dividends earned should more than compensate for this fee.
What other fees should steely eyed bit share holders look out for so as to not loose their precious assets?

Offline bytemaster

Offline phoenix

• View Profile

Protoshares: Pg5EhSZEXHFjdFUzpxJbm91UtA54iUuDvt
Bitmessage: BM-NBrGi2V3BZ8REnJM7FPxUjjkQp7V5D28

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile

Offline bytemaster

BitShares depends upon one detail, the they must have non-0 value.  So TestShares must be carefully designed to make sure this is true.

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
I would assume that BitShares would be improved, has bug fixes etc relative to each test share version. And if people know that test shares is only for testing, they wont take it seriously and for example spend all their test shares on one high risk trade.

It would therefore be in their best interest to use BitShares when it launches.

Offline 8bit

• View Profile
I find the benefits of holding BitUSD or any other BitAsset over simply holding onto BitShares rather confusing.

By this I mean; if I assume the value of BitShares will appreciate over time against fiat: would it be better to buy long on a particular BitAsset, or simply hold onto the BitShares.

I understand the benefits of buying BitAssets in order to speculate.

For this aspect of Bitshares, the advantage of holding a Bitasset instead of Bitshares is that whenever you buy long on a Bitasset, someone else has to short the same Bitasset. They give up their dividends on the collateral they used on the Bitasset, and the people who bought long get to collect those extra dividends.

As for how to get the maximum value from Bitshares in the first few months, my best advice is to pay attention to the final plans for Bitshares. Bytemaster has suggested several plans for Bitshares, from a six month waiting period for mining rewards to mature, to proof of stake instead of proof of work mining. Not all of these plans will actually be implemented, but you should keep an eye on them. Then, when Bitshares are about to be released, you should look at what's actually going to be used, and make your own market predictions from there.

... and we will probably release an iteration or two of "testshares" so you can experiment with it before you begin playing for "keeps".

How do you plan to prevent testshares from competing with bitshares?
Code: [Select]
wallet_approve_delegate eightbitA VOTE FOR EIGHTBIT IS A VOTE FOR CRUDE DICK ART

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
Thanks! can't wait for testshares!

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
I find the benefits of holding BitUSD or any other BitAsset over simply holding onto BitShares rather confusing.

By this I mean; if I assume the value of BitShares will appreciate over time against fiat: would it be better to buy long on a particular BitAsset, or simply hold onto the BitShares.

I understand the benefits of buying BitAssets in order to speculate.

For this aspect of Bitshares, the advantage of holding a Bitasset instead of Bitshares is that whenever you buy long on a Bitasset, someone else has to short the same Bitasset. They give up their dividends on the collateral they used on the Bitasset, and the people who bought long get to collect those extra dividends.

As for how to get the maximum value from Bitshares in the first few months, my best advice is to pay attention to the final plans for Bitshares. Bytemaster has suggested several plans for Bitshares, from a six month waiting period for mining rewards to mature, to proof of stake instead of proof of work mining. Not all of these plans will actually be implemented, but you should keep an eye on them. Then, when Bitshares are about to be released, you should look at what's actually going to be used, and make your own market predictions from there.

... and we will probably release an iteration or two of "testshares" so you can experiment with it before you begin playing for "keeps".
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.