Author Topic: BitShare investing/trading  (Read 11002 times)

Offline bytemaster

Just send a transfer to yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline joele

• View Profile
If your funds are not touched for 1 year, 5% is destroyed and the transaction is moved forward.
If the balance is less than the minimum trx fee, then 100% is destroyed

You mean we need to trade at least once a year at any amount so our fund will not get 5% deduction?

Offline mint chocolate chip

How are dividends paid?

What currency are they paid in, where do dividends go (to your wallet?) and how often are they paid out?

Every transaction destroys currency which increases your cut when displayed as a percentage of remaining BTS.

BTS are infinitely divisible and at any time the network could perform a 'stock split'

I am having trouble understanding this, so the number of BTS (4 million) actually decreases over time? until (there are no more BTS???)?
The money supply is infinitely divisible, so losing supply is not a problem.
Bitshares will have the bitcoin quality of being highly divisible.

Instead of having a complicated method of transferring dividends and taking away fees, Invictus has thought of the simple and elegant solution of simply destroying BitShares as a way of charging fees. Less Bitshares in existence means that the remaining shares become more valuable (akin to that of a listed company buying back its own shares to increase shareholder value).

For the stock splitting I'm assuming that this would mean for example: if the number of bitshares is reduced to say 2million, then a stock split could reward share holders by giving them a free bitshare for every bitshare they have. This will bring the total number of bitshares back to 4million.
Brilliant. This whole idea as it rolls out is going to be exciting and a lot of fun. godspeed

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
How are dividends paid?

What currency are they paid in, where do dividends go (to your wallet?) and how often are they paid out?

Every transaction destroys currency which increases your cut when displayed as a percentage of remaining BTS.

BTS are infinitely divisible and at any time the network could perform a 'stock split'

I am having trouble understanding this, so the number of BTS (4 million) actually decreases over time? until (there are no more BTS???)?
Bitshares will have the bitcoin quality of being highly divisible.

Instead of having a complicated method of transferring dividends and taking away fees, Invictus has thought of the simple and elegant solution of simply destroying BitShares as a way of charging fees. Less Bitshares in existence means that the remaining shares become more valuable (akin to that of a listed company buying back its own shares to increase shareholder value).

For the stock splitting I'm assuming that this would mean for example: if the number of bitshares is reduced to say 2million, then a stock split could reward share holders by giving them a free bitshare for every bitshare they have. This will bring the total number of bitshares back to 4million.

Offline bytemaster

How are dividends paid?

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

How are dividends paid?

Offline bytemaster

How are dividends paid?

How are dividends paid?

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Oh ok. Guess that makes sense. For some reason I thought dividends would be received through circulating BitShares.

Actually this may be much better if you think of the tax implications. Capital gains tax might still apply, but not income taxes which are ridiculously high in some places.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
If your funds are not touched for 1 year, 5% is destroyed and the transaction is moved forward.

The act of destroying BTS is how dividends are paid, so dividends do not disappear into a black hole.

I gave this some more thought and it actually makes allot of sense as a method of charging fees and paying dividends. It just takes a bit of a cognitive restart to accept/understand this alternative method.

Something else ive been wondering about.

For someone to purchase a bitAsset, someone needs to short that bitAsset.
So what if someone purchases a bitAsset and holds it. But persons holding short positions cash out their short positions. And the majority of people holding shorts cash out their positions.

What happens to the people who own the bitAssets, do their bitAssets no longer exist? because the bitAssets are no longer being lent into existence?

In this way, is their risk in holding a bitAsset over the real asset (given that BitShares never reaches a non-zero value)?

Those who hold short positions cannot 'cash out' without buying from those who hold long positions.  If the longs don't want to give up their position then the price will rise at which point in time longs may wish to sell for a profit or new shorts will enter the market at the higher prices and thus allowing the old shorts to exit and serving to keep a check on the price if it starts to deviate more than a couple of percent from the value of USD/BTS
And once again Bytemaster's elegant logic saves the day.
Thanks!

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
BitShares depends upon one detail, the they must have non-0 value.  So TestShares must be carefully designed to make sure this is true.

Perhaps set aside 100 PTS (or 500 or 1000) and award them to TestShare holders in proportion to how many they have and the end of the test period (before the real BTS freeze)?
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline bytemaster

The act of destroying BTS is how dividends are paid, so dividends do not disappear into a black hole.

I gave this some more thought and it actually makes allot of sense as a method of charging fees and paying dividends. It just takes a bit of a cognitive restart to accept/understand this alternative method.

So what if someone purchases a bitAsset and holds it. But persons holding short positions cash out their short positions. And the majority of people holding shorts cash out their positions.

What happens to the people who own the bitAssets, do their bitAssets no longer exist? because the bitAssets are no longer being lent into existence?

In this way, is their risk in holding a bitAsset over the real asset (given that BitShares never reaches a non-zero value)?

Those who hold short positions cannot 'cash out' without buying from those who hold long positions.  If the longs don't want to give up their position then the price will rise at which point in time longs may wish to sell for a profit or new shorts will enter the market at the higher prices and thus allowing the old shorts to exit and serving to keep a check on the price if it starts to deviate more than a couple of percent from the value of USD/BTS

Offline zhang8862686

• PkrX7zWBe76uu825XAcN8urVbiMiRV4npo
    • View Profile
hum, i will invest both PTS and  FUCKING  ags
PkrX7zWBe76uu825XAcN8urVbiMiRV4npo

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
Oh ok. Guess that makes sense. For some reason I thought dividends would be received through circulating BitShares.