Author Topic: [FYI] Nxt release Monetary System (MS)  (Read 3568 times)

Offline testz

Holy shit this is weird.  So you can back coins with NXT and then let people mint new ones by using hash algorithms just like POW.  It is POW but for distribution, not security.  lol...  I don't even know what to think.
and people say BitShares is complicated :)

I've always been skeptical of the "Monetary System." It seems like a feature that would have been wildly popular a year ago, but is totally obsolete now because there are so many platforms for creating assets (Nxt, BTS, XCP, etc). Maybe there's some tiny value in being able to back your coin with Nxt. I don't know.

I've always been skeptical of the "Monetary System" because I thinking that Nxt devs as an talented programmers will do "Monetary System" product for programmers and not for the business - probably I was right, will see soon.

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil

Holy shit this is weird.  So you can back coins with NXT and then let people mint new ones by using hash algorithms just like POW.  It is POW but for distribution, not security.  lol...  I don't even know what to think.

I've always been skeptical of the "Monetary System." It seems like a feature that would have been wildly popular a year ago, but is totally obsolete now because there are so many platforms for creating assets (Nxt, BTS, XCP, etc). Maybe there's some tiny value in being able to back your coin with Nxt. I don't know.
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline gamey

• View Profile
There has already been a ~2 page thread on this but I found this interesting from the wiki link ...

Mintable
ALGORITHM: The hashing algorithm to use. Select SHA256, SHA3, Scrypt, or Keccak25.
A mintable currency is issued with an INITIAL SUPPLY of currency that can increase over time until the TOTAL SUPPLY is reached; thus TOTAL SUPPLY is better named MAXIMUM SUPPLY in this case.
The currency supply is increased through a minting process, governed by the above properties. Minting does not secure the currency as mining does for some other virtual currencies such as Bitcoin; the currency is already secured by the Nxt blockchain and network.

I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline monsterer

Haven't had time to look into this yet. Can anyone that has provide a quick summary?

Main feature is targeted at altcoin community - ability to build your own POW altcoin on top of NXT protocol.

NXT currencies (which are different to assets) can be made redeemable for base amount of NXT (purchase price), sort of like an insurance policy against the price tanking.

It also has various other attributes to support legal crowd funding like the bitshares UIA will have.

edit: no market pegged currencies because the NXT community doesn't believe they are possible
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 01:34:26 pm by monsterer »
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline edilliam

Haven't had time to look into this yet. Can anyone that has provide a quick summary?

Offline testz

https://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/wiki/Monetary_System
https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/20959-create-your-own-cryptocurrency

I read few times, looks powerful, but too complicated and doesn't have Market-Pegged Assets.
Nxt it's "Microsoft", BitShares it's "Apple" - doing same, but in different way.