Author Topic: Locked out of Wallet - Help  (Read 3064 times)

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
That was my worries also!

I'm talking to Toast on another thread!

Appreciate your comments :)

Okay great! No problem. I really hope you can get everything sorted out.
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline bitAndy

• View Profile
That was my worries also!

I'm talking to Toast on another thread!

Appreciate your comments :)

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
I will try to talk to one of them if I can!

Do you think I should import the json file into the computer i'm already using or import onto a new computer?

I am not sure and don't want you to mess up your account. I would PM "Toast" or "Xeroc".
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline bitAndy

• View Profile
I will try to talk to one of them if I can!

Do you think I should import the json file into the computer i'm already using or import onto a new computer?

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
The client has randomly opened once before when I was hashing in the passphrase. I'm hoping it will do it once more so I can send my funds to another account.

It seems the same thing is happening to me as it did to you.

Thanks I might take a look into cracking passwords, I know for a fact the new password I have is the one I typed into the console since I took a photo of it after it gave me the OK.

I'm young and terrible with programming! I was thinking I could just import the older json file (which has all my funds on it) with my old passphrase and see if that works?

Thanks

That should work. Since the password is just encrypting the json file. You might want to talk to one of the devs so they can fix the bug in the next version.

Offline bitAndy

• View Profile
The client has randomly opened once before when I was hashing in the passphrase. I'm hoping it will do it once more so I can send my funds to another account.

It seems the same thing is happening to me as it did to you.

Thanks I might take a look into cracking passwords, I know for a fact the new password I have is the one I typed into the console since I took a photo of it after it gave me the OK.

I'm young and terrible with programming! I was thinking I could just import the older json file (which has all my funds on it) with my old passphrase and see if that works?

Thanks

Offline oldman

• View Profile
My original wallet from the early days did this exact same thing to me.

One day it just didn't let me log in.

I panicked and sat there for hours typing/cut-pasting the password over and over - I use a password manager and have no doubt the password was correct.

Eventually and randomly the client opened.

I transferred most of my BTS to a new a account, but towards the end the transactions started stalling and throwing errors. I exported my private keys and then kept at it until about 10% of total holdings were left... then my wife restarted the computer.

I have not been able to log in since. I imported my keys into the new account to no avail - still have 10% stuck in the old account.

In the intervening months I have done research into cracking passwords, and I think this may be the only way for you to recover your funds. Because you know the password is should not take long to crack the hash.

Unfortunately I am old and terrible with programming, and all of the password cracking software requires compiling and command line stuff. I also have no idea where to find the hash of the password in the backup file.

Not much help, but perhaps gives you a direction to move in.

Offline bitAndy

• View Profile
I've tried both the old & new password. I have both the json's for both the old & new passphrase on seperate usb sticks. (both taken today)

How do I make extra backups of my wallet folder? (Sorry, I'm a computer noob)

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
Any chance of a mixup between different backups secured with different passwords?  Have you tried both passwords?

I suggest making extra backups of your wallet folder and the .json backups just to be sure since you're doing troubleshooting as a guard against frustration induced carelessness.

Offline bitAndy

• View Profile
Thanks for your reply!

I've had the wallet since almost the week BTSX came out. This is the first time I've ever been locked out, although it's the first time I've changed my passphrase. It's Windows 4.27.2, and I believe it said it had a corrupted database & would ask if I wanted to rescan the blockchain or just continue, I'd usually just press continue, but im re-scanning right now. Put in passphrase and it seems laggy, its not confirming, nor denying it.

No sleeping cats, I might try copying & pasting. It's strange, as when it randomly logged me in I checked the console & took a photo of the passphrase change...it's definitely correct...

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
That is indeed odd.  How long had you been using it without issue before this happened?  Can you think of anything that changed recently that could be related?  What OS and wallet version?  Does your system seem slow or laggy otherwise?  Is there a cat sleeping on your keyboard?  Have you tried copying and pasting the password rather than typing it there to control for more variables?

Just brainstorming here...

Offline bitAndy

• View Profile
It's decided to lock me out again...

Has anyone got any idea as to what's going on with my wallet??

Offline bitAndy

• View Profile
Haven't got a clue what just what happened there but it's just let me enter the wallet. The password was correct so I've no idea why it took me 10+ attempts for it to work.

Not gonna lie I was shitting myself.

Offline bitAndy

• View Profile
I just exported the json file of my wallet to a usb stick & then decided to change my passphrase afterwards. I did this & when I attempted to log back in it says wrong password?

what do I do?  :(