Author Topic: possible way to optimize the bts client  (Read 4542 times)

Offline xiahui135

• View Profile

The bts client is hard to use on my coputer. Opening the client often leads no response, and once opened i need to download all the blocks Which is useless for me.

I wonder whether can the client just download the  latest blocks for average user.

Let us look at a situation like this:
Average joe want to receive money from another.  Joe firstly want to open the client ,and then watch his/her account credit. 
Now joe have to try to open the client many times, and have to wait a whole day to finally find her credit in the account.

So i think it may be better firstly allow open the client, then load the newest blocks and the higher blocks. The history blockchain may load after those.
I do not know whether the client can be developed like this, or some simpler client has already exist.
If there is some mistakes, please correct me.

In the future we might provide client downloads that contain the blockchain state already and only need to download latest blocks, but there is much other work to do before that, and basic light wallet will be out before then.
Bitcoin in v0.10 introduces a new feature where the block headers only are downloaded first, which then allows parallel downloading of the entire blockchain. This will increase download speed greatly, could we use a similar feature?

I'm not familiar with the method they are using, but I think it only works because of the PoW system they have.

In any case, downloading the blocks is not our bottleneck. Applying the blocks is, and that has to be done sequentially.
downloading the blocks is the bottleneck for me. Maybe my RAM is not enough, only 4GB.
I have download tree times, and the client just stopped with no response. Every time i have to restart, reset the database.
Another problem is that starting the client is very slow.

Offline svk

The bts client is hard to use on my coputer. Opening the client often leads no response, and once opened i need to download all the blocks Which is useless for me.

I wonder whether can the client just download the  latest blocks for average user.

Average joe want to receive money from another.  Joe firstly want to open the client ,and then watch his/her account credit. 
Now joe have to try to open the client many times, and have to wait a whole day to finally find her credit in the account.

So i think it may be better firstly allow open the client, then load the newest blocks and the higher blocks. The history blockchain may load after those.
I do not know whether the client can be developed like this, or some simpler client has already exist.

In the future we might provide client downloads that contain the blockchain state already and only need to download latest blocks, but there is much other work to do before that, and basic light wallet will be out before then.
Bitcoin in v0.10 introduces a new feature where the block headers only are downloaded first, which then allows parallel downloading of the entire blockchain. This will increase download speed greatly, could we use a similar feature?

I'm not familiar with the method they are using, but I think it only works because of the PoW system they have.

In any case, downloading the blocks is not our bottleneck. Applying the blocks is, and that has to be done sequentially.

Yea if download speed is not the issue that wouldn't help at all.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline vikram

Offline svk

Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Apart from Bitcoin there's probably no other blockchain that has a lightweight client. BTS is awesome +5%
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 11:06:25 pm by speedy »

Offline vikram

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
my machine is almost 7 years old .. wallet still working smoothly .... under linux ..

Offline xiahui135

• View Profile

I don't think it's really that bad, I'm running it inside a VM with 4GB RAM, and it's still have ok performance. My host machine is a 3 year old computer with i7 2600k CPU and 8GB RAM.
Mine is a 1.5 year computer with i5 cpu and 4GB RAM. Sometimes it will fail to start with no response. After start i have to wait long hours to download the useless blocks (old blocks is useless for me). And i tried twice, but just failed to finish download the block and the client can't be opened correctly.
This sounds a long complaint, but it is real, and i am trying the third time, downloading...

Offline kokojie

• View Profile
I don't think it's really that bad, I'm running it inside a VM with 4GB RAM, and it's still have ok performance. My host machine is a 3 year old computer with i7 2600k CPU and 8GB RAM.

Offline davidpbrown

Confidence comes from the root not from the last transaction. I cannot see how this would be useful beyond what is already planned. Mobile/lite wallets and shorter blockchains that act like new genesis blocks might help.

What I would like to see optimized is the compile in Linux.. it seems to use a lot of memory and perhaps there are steps in the compile process that can be looked at to avoid stress on hardware.. though I have no idea about how to go about that.
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
is there some dev feel this will work?
JavaScript libraries are under heavy development as can be seen from http://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-js

Offline xiahui135

• View Profile
is there some dev feel this will work?

Offline xiahui135

• View Profile

I remember something about a lightweight wallet being released this month or next month. That should help.
Thanks for information. I will wait for that.

Offline xiahui135

• View Profile

我是普通的双核电脑运行目前的客户端没有任何问题,如果你是中国人,可以加下QQ群247971500这里有很多在研究接入BTS支付方面的人
Yeah, the client may run on normal computer. I was complaining it is too heavy for average people.

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
I remember something about a lightweight wallet being released this month or next month. That should help.
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi