Author Topic: Problem with Protoshare Wallet  (Read 3930 times)

Offline r05

• View Profile
Re: Problem with Protoshare Wallet
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 09:42:14 pm »
Thanks allot, am defiantly getting you a beer  :)

So I was still detecting my old wallet because I had not deleted my wallet.dat file in the hidden .protoshares folder, right?
I shall now make some more backups of my wallet.dat file found here just to be safe.
I shall then cut and paste my whole .protoshares folder with its wallet.dat file onto a flash drive so that I can just plug the flash drive in when I want to make a transaction.
Then I can download the client again and I should have a new wallet.
Yep - that's more or less it. That wallet.dat file is your wallet. The application you launch and use is just a client for communicating with the Protoshares network, but that wallet.dat file is what identifies your client as corresponding to your wallet. If you delete this file, then the client will generate a new wallet ID. You were seeing your old wallet (most probably) because that wallet.dat file still existed - despite you deleting the client application. Because that wallet.dat persisted through the uninstall/reinstall of the client, your old wallet ID was still being used.

The way the Protoshare cryptocoin works is your client (again, the application you launch) will use your wallet ID as an identifier. When you open the client application, this client/wallet combo will query the network for any and all transactions involving your wallet ID (this is why you need to download the new blockchains every time you fire up the client before it displays the most recent transactions). It will display any transactions it sees in the blockchains with your wallet ID into the client. This is why you can easily port your wallet to another machine or back it up/restore it and the amount of funds in your wallet will remain the same - as the wallet/client combo relies on the network to essentially 'show' it any transactions and your client will calculate your current funds based on those transactions. This is also why if you loose your wallet ID, you cannot recover from it - because your ID is lost, those transactions cannot be modified or re-routed - simply due to the nature of how the network operates. Although the transactions exist, you have lost the wallet ID to interact with them. So they are adrift in cyberspace, so to speak :P

I hope that gives you a brief background - BitCoin operates a very similar system. Read up on it here if you're interested: http://bitcoin.org/en/how-it-works

Thank you muchly - appreciated. :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:59:48 pm by r05 »
If I have helped you, please consider buying me a beer:
PTS: PZ6ZED8q1i7nQqnZiwFHdgLMELi3sgpnzL
BTC: 1CPF64k1AraWAUiDSh2QthRhbtJJznzRtw

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 09:27:22 pm »
Thanks allot, am defiantly getting you a beer  :)

So I was still detecting my old wallet because I had not deleted my wallet.dat file in the hidden .protoshares folder, right?
I shall now make some more backups of my wallet.dat file found here just to be safe.
I shall then cut and paste my whole .protoshares folder with its wallet.dat file onto a flash drive so that I can just plug the flash drive in when I want to make a transaction.
Then I can download the client again and I should have a new wallet.

Offline r05

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 01:40:54 pm »
Ok thanks for this.
What I have been doing is creating backup .dat files and saving those.
To my understanding the .dat file should be all you need to restore your wallet and all your funds, correct?

How can I make my .protoshares folder visible so that I may copy it.
The wallet.dat file is all you need to restore your wallet yes but your funds are not stored on the wallet - they are stored against your wallet address/ID. Whatever computer you import your wallet into, it will pickup your funds from the network.

To make the .protoshares folder visible, follow the instructions here: http://www.mikesel.info/show-hidden-files-mac-os-x-10-7-lion/

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 12:09:08 pm »
Ok thanks for this.
What I have been doing is creating backup .dat files and saving those.
To my understanding the .dat file should be all you need to restore your wallet and all your funds, correct?

How can I make my .protoshares folder visible so that I may copy it.

Offline r05

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 12:20:16 am »
i have a strange problem with my protoshare wallet.
i have downloaded the client (using a mac), deposited my coins, encrypted the wallet and made some backups on flash drives and cds.

i then deleted all protoshare related content from my laptop.

i then wanted to start a new protoshare wallet to add some protoshares to that.
i downloaded the client from invicus website, but when i ran the client it was my old wallet that showed up.

how do i remove all client information from my laptop (i do not want to leave sensitive info on the laptop). and how do i create a new protoshare wallet?

thanks
You should have created a new thread.

Open Terminal and type the following:

cd ~
rm -rf .protoshares

This will delete your wallet and all funds in it.

Open the Protoshares client again and it will create a new wallet.

The .protoshares folder is a 'hidden' folder (Finder in OSX doesn't show it by default) that holds your wallet.dat file. This wallet.dat file is your wallet. If you want to have your wallet on multiple machines, this is the file to copy. If you want to back it up, this is the file to copy. If you want to delete it then this is the file to delete.

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 12:13:05 am »
i have a strange problem with my protoshare wallet.
i have downloaded the client (using a mac), deposited my coins, encrypted the wallet and made some backups on flash drives and cds.

i then deleted all protoshare related content from my laptop.

i then wanted to start a new protoshare wallet to add some protoshares to that.
i downloaded the client from invicus website, but when i ran the client it was my old wallet that showed up.

how do i remove all client information from my laptop (i do not want to leave sensitive info on the laptop). and how do i create a new protoshare wallet?

thanks

Offline Hurlie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 02:32:37 pm »
Tnx for the quick answer.

Offline alexr

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 01:10:58 pm »
When you'll send pts the wallet will ask you your pwd
Donations/donazioniSezione italiana

Offline Hurlie

• View Profile
Problem with Protoshare Wallet
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 11:30:56 am »
Hello,

I' ve crypted my wallet with a password.
(I have written it on a paper, so I can't loose it.)

When starting the program, in the right bottom appears a lock-symbol.
But the program doesn't aks me for the password.

Is my wallet useless?
When do I have to enter the password?

Thanks for your help,

Hurlie