Author Topic: BTS sent to BTSX address... can I get access to them, or are they lost?  (Read 2593 times)

Offline DavidMc0

Just as I posted that the issue resolved its self:  I don't think it's because I did this, but I ran the command "wallet_get_account_public_address" in the client, and it then updated to the balance including from the old address.

The transaction is still not listed in my client, so it's a bit strange, but I do have the balance, which is the most important thing.

Thanks to all who replied to help with this.  I still don't understand this, but I'm glad it's sorted!

Offline DavidMc0

If you have the private key then you should have access to the funds. The wallet scans every balance in the blockchain and checks if you have the key for it. Are you sure you are looking at the right address? If you want, you can PM me the withdrawal transaction ID from Bter and I can take a look.

I've sent you a PM - thanks for your help.

Offline vikram

The new address with the dropped "X" should function exactly the same.

If you do "wallet_dump_private_key BTSX6..." with the old address (or maybe you have to delete the X), is your wallet able to find the private key?

Yeah, I'm able to get the private key, but unfortunately it's exactly the same with the old & new address, so importing it to the new client has no effect & doesn't allow the funds to be accessed.

Strange, and very annoying to have private keys but no access to funds!

Edit: I wonder if I could somehow work out how to do a manual transaction without the client, as if I have the old address & private key, I should be able to send funds from the old address to the new one?

Or would this not work, as the old address is no longer recognised by the blockchain for new transactions?

If you have the private key then you should have access to the funds. The wallet scans every balance in the blockchain and checks if you have the key for it. Are you sure you are looking at the right address? If you want, you can PM me the withdrawal transaction ID from Bter and I can take a look.

Offline DavidMc0

If you do "wallet_dump_private_key BTSX6..." with the old address (or maybe you have to delete the X), is your wallet able to find the private key?

Yeah, I'm able to get the private key, but unfortunately it's exactly the same with the old & new address, so importing it to the new client has no effect & doesn't allow the funds to be accessed.

Strange, and very annoying to have private keys but no access to funds!

Edit: I wonder if I could somehow work out how to do a manual transaction without the client, as if I have the old address & private key, I should be able to send funds from the old address to the new one?

Or would this not work, as the old address is no longer recognised by the blockchain for new transactions?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 10:16:40 am by DavidMc0 »

Offline vikram

Offline DavidMc0

Thanks for the replies.

My addresses pre and post merger are the same I believe so yours should to
The addresses should be the same.

My address is different before and after, but only that the 4th letter (X) is dropped.

Address before: BTSX6...................etc
Address in new client: BTS6.............etc

So is it not normal that the address has dropped the 'X'?  Should the old address still function with funds appearing in the new address?

My new client is fully synced, and the withdrawn BTS haven't appeared - just the old balance I had before buying the new BTS.

Thanks again for the help, and I hope I can get this figured out!

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
My addresses pre and post merger are the same I believe so yours should to.

It won't show the BTS you transacted because like you said, it didn't load the blockchain, meaning it isn't synced. Once it is, your new balance should appear. Now as why it doesn't sync I don't know, mine usually takes some time.

But I think your BTS balance should be fine.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline DavidMc0

I recently bought some BTS on BTER, to top up a few I bought previously.

When withdrawing, I saw that BTER had remembered my address, so knowing I had the keys went ahead with the withdrawal.

I was still running the BitsharesX client, as apparently it was up to date (no new update available it told me, and still does!).

It won't download the blockchain properly, and when I run the new client, it shows my old BTSX now as BTS, but doesn't show the new BTS I withdrew to the same address, but with BTSX instead of BTS at the front.

Is there any way of accessing these BTS that I've sent to my BTSX address?

Thanks for any help!