Author Topic: Import old json file & password - Help  (Read 2213 times)

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
The new password did include a space character....but so did my old one which I never had a problem with!

thats the problem !!!
You have this problem when you change the password from the console!
The first time you created the password was when you created the wallet? Right?
I assume the gui take you password automatic between  strings ( "  "  or something like that ) so it recognize the spaces also... but that is not the case when you change the password from console... So the second new right password  was whatever you typed before the space.....

for example for:

dskjd7^^%$jjd KLHGF93

if you used only :
dskjd7^^%$jjd

you would unlock your wallet with the new json backup  8)

Offline bitAndy

• View Profile
The new password did include a space character....but so did my old one which I never had a problem with!

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
could it be the case that your new password included a space character?  if that is the case your right password is only the characters before the space.... I had such an experience one time because my password manager generated a password with spaces also included...  as for bm suggesting not to use a wallet on multiple computers it had to do with bitasset orders etc. I think

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 997D

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Honestly I don't know why BM suggested not to use the same wallet on multiple computers. Maybe it was in the context of delegate operations (to avoid double-signing)?

If you're fine with hackers having 2x as many computers to target then its no problem.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline bitAndy

• View Profile
Synced block-chain on new computer with old json. All funds are intact.

I don't know what you mean by sweep funds to a new wallet? Should I just delete the original files that were on the first computer so I only have the wallet running on one computer?

I appreciate your responses, I'll send you some bts for it :)

Offline toast

• View Profile
I changed the wallets passphrase but it says 'Wrong Password' whenever I type it in.

I haven't tried that yet as I was waiting for someone knowledgeable to tell me what to do. Bytemaster had said not to use the same wallet on two computers so I didn't want to make things worse. If your giving me the OK i'll try that.

If you change the passphrase it doesn't somehow go and encrypt an old backup with the new password. It just makes your future backups use the new password.

If you're concerned about security of having the wallet in multiple places, you can always sweep your funds to a new wallet.

Finally, the next release will have an import feature which will let you import private keys from arbitrary JSON. If all else fails you can wait for that.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline bitAndy

• View Profile
I changed the wallets passphrase but it says 'Wrong Password' whenever I type it in.

I haven't tried that yet as I was waiting for someone knowledgeable to tell me what to do. Bytemaster had said not to use the same wallet on two computers so I didn't want to make things worse. If your giving me the OK i'll try that.

Offline toast

• View Profile
What do you mean you're "locked out"?

What happens when you import your old wallet with the old password onto a new computer?

Offline bitAndy

• View Profile
I posted on the Bitshares Technical Support thread but haven't had much luck with responses in what to do.

I've been locked out my Bitshares wallet (even though my new password is correct).

I exported the json file before changing my password. Could I try importing that json file with my old password onto a new computer?

Any help would be appreciated.