Author Topic: Some thought by currency traders on BTC and the Swiss abandoning the Euro Peg  (Read 1654 times)

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
what consequences could this have to other countries in Europe? Any particular concern people should have for Greece, Portugal, etc?

The swiss did this because it was getting ridiculous how much money they were spending to maintain the peg. With draghi doing qe soon it was only going to cost more to attempt to maintain it.

The problem is that the euro banks have unknown exposure to the swiss. An event like this can cause insolvency, particularly for already troubled Greek and Portuguese banks.

I have know doubt that the ecb rides to the rescue and bails them out, but the debt weight is starting to become as unsustainable as maintaining the Eur/chf peg.  Once this is realized, the moves we will see in markets will make the swiss move look like nothing...

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
what consequences could this have to other countries in Europe? Any particular concern people should have for Greece, Portugal, etc?
It is not about the consequences in my mind but more about the reasons behind that move...  it is obvious a sell signal for the euro they are practical shorting the Euro ...  it seems the attacks/war  against Europe will not stop... now....  (after OIL , je suis Charlie, terrorism(?) ALQAIDA , CHF/EUR , Elections in Greece, PIGS, RUBBLE decline, WHO KNOWS WHAT COMES NEXT? )

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 997D

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Frodo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: frodo
http://traderspodcast.com/episode325/

They mention how bitcoin is going to be accumulated down here by the large investors... Rob isn't a big crypto pom pom cheerleader, he's the kind of person open to the idea of cyrpto but doesn't have a ton of knowledge on it.

Also the talk about the Swiss national bank abandoning the Euro peg is interesting as well.

Interesting. Thanks.

Pretty sick what was going on with Euro peg. I have to admit I didn't know that this peg existed and I'm absolutely surprised. Seems like the best word to describe this is official market manipulation.

I'm not an economist but it must have been pretty obvious that this wouldn't be feasible in the long run. Especially with the weak euro and EZB "fighting deflation". The EZB is even planning to buy government bonds now.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 09:19:01 pm by Frodo »

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
http://traderspodcast.com/episode325/

They mention how bitcoin is going to be accumulated down here by the large investors... Rob isn't a big crypto pom pom cheerleader, he's the kind of person open to the idea of cyrpto but doesn't have a ton of knowledge on it.

Also the talk about the Swiss national bank abandoning the Euro peg is interesting as well.