Author Topic: Another fun challenge to political views  (Read 7509 times)

Offline bytemaster

FYI.  Voting is a coordination problem. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
I've been considering some of the arguments in this piece. Section 2 covers co-ordination problems (why boycotts don't work etc), and I wondered if the following solution could work as co-ordination tool without the need for state law. Let's say a polling tool is available, whereby passionate people can request a public call to action on some issue. But the agreed action is not taken until some specified critical mass supports the action. When that critical mass is reached, all participants know that their action will be effective, and the action goes ahead successfully. For example, it might be boycotting a consumer product for a month, which is more than the company can bear, but which is not a difficult (and only temporary) sacrifice for each individual. This might overcome the hurdle of people not willing to make a sacrifice when they are uncertain others will act similarly and that their sacrifice will be meaningful. Thoughts?

Offline bytemaster

Wow so much unoriginal hogwash.   

It starts out poorly... the wasp owner is clearly an aggressor in the same way someone with aggressive attack dogs or out of control robots.  The owner of property is responsible for damage caused by that property.

Every single "alternative" proposed is "everyone votes to pass a law".

The problem with everyone voting to pass a law is the same "coordination problem" that already existed.  There is a rational ignorance where the cost of learning how to vote responsibly is greater than the value of the vote.  Thus no one learns how to vote responsibly. 

Look at this video by David Friedman on Market Failure:
http://cryptogeeks.com/bitcoin-understanding-bitcoin-market-right-now

Bottom line.. resorting to violence is a shortcut to finding creative alternatives. 

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
A good title for this post might be "A list of unresolved coordination problems". BM's response might simply be "you're not creative enough".

I'd be interested in an argument that characterizes what kinds of market failures can't be solved without force which doesn't primarily rely on examples of market failure in the past.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
Yes, as the author points out of people's views on the state, I've noticed in forums such as this that many of us have also the view that ideal freedom is to be equated to maximum decentralisation and the non-existence of state, but is this just an emotional connection rather than logical outcome?

I wonder whether centralisation around certain activities is sometimes preferred even in the context of individual freedom - the freedom to delegate choices to others when we have higher priorities, and to form organisations of common interest to perform certain actions more effectively. I wonder if a balance of decentralisation and centralisation is actually the natural order that best serves our goals of freedom.

Anyway, must give the article a full read when these markets settle down a bit!....

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
I got through till section 6. Very good read.

I think blockchain technology and applied cryptography will be able to solve the problems of coordination problems. I think bytemaster needs to read this, I'm sure he would be inspired to create solutions here.

Offline roadscape

Wow, based just on quickly skimming it, this looks great. Bookmarked for later reading. Thanks.

Same. Thanks for sharing, Vitalik!
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
Wow, based just on quickly skimming it, this looks great. Bookmarked for later reading. Thanks.