Author Topic: An open challenge to Bytemaster  (Read 10423 times)

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
I would love to hear how critical bitcoin infrastructure could be come more secure like we did with the decentralized exchange article.

eg:  How could payment gateways use bitshares to make accepting bitcoin more streamlined or safer?
or How could btishares help bitcoin achieve remittance success?

I still feel like this is one of the most important questions to answer.  With the large investments in Bitcoin, how can we help them help ourselves?  There will be a time when we won't need to market that demographic, but for now, it's a priority in my mind.

BM,

When you're looking for a break from coding and searching for the next blog post, this one would be great.

This is everything a bitcoin fanboy needs to hear. I tend to prefer more this kind of posts as it suggests and mentions we're helping bitcoin instead of competing with it. People are afraid of competition, but if they see we are helping them they might see us with other eyes. This is what we need.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline hpenvy2

• View Profile
I would love to hear how critical bitcoin infrastructure could be come more secure like we did with the decentralized exchange article.

eg:  How could payment gateways use bitshares to make accepting bitcoin more streamlined or safer?
or How could btishares help bitcoin achieve remittance success?

I still feel like this is one of the most important questions to answer.  With the large investments in Bitcoin, how can we help them help ourselves?  There will be a time when we won't need to market that demographic, but for now, it's a priority in my mind.

BM,

When you're looking for a break from coding and searching for the next blog post, this one would be great.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 10:45:30 pm by hpenvy2 »

Offline hpenvy2

• View Profile
0.6.0 comes with support for offline voter key and multisig. A generic offline transaction builder for all possible transaction types will come from nathan's light wallet as well.

Thank you Toast.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
0.6.0 comes with support for offline voter key and multisig. A generic offline transaction builder for all possible transaction types will come from nathan's light wallet as well.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline hpenvy2

• View Profile
To be clear, It is cool to point out the benefits of bts.  In fact I would say it is critical.  I am just saying being tactful.

Dont say bitshares is better.  Say bitshares is better in this instance.
Say bitcoins does this great while bitshares does that great.

Its just the principles in the classic. "How to win friends and influence people."

But it is all kind of heightened by a factor of ten because if you can make it pro bitcoin you will get 10 times the eyeballs.

The biggest problem I have with bitshares today is its lacking cold wallet functionality. I could x10 my bitshares investment overnight if there was a cold wallet feature that could sign offline transactions and a hot wallet that could broadcast them. Alternatively OTP support in the client would help. Unfortunately now I have to just sit on the sidelines and wait. In the meantime perhaps other options will come up that overtake bitshares.

I'd like to hear more about this from our development team.

Bumping for clarification.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
I've lost track, how many angles have we found?

1.  Decentralized exchanges are a safer way to trade cryptos.
2.  Earn a yield while riding the coming Bitcoin rebound.
3.  Diversify bitcoin without entering a centralized counter party risk system.
4.  Hold your own keys to your yield-bearing bitcoin savings account.
5.  Complete your bitcoin payments in just 10 seconds.
6.  Transfer bitcoins to a named account.
7.  Affordable high frequency bitcoin bot trading.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV
I must not be making my point clear, b/c nobody has addressed it head on, it seems like it's being avoided.

1) I agree with Max's idea in terms of an attitude & style. I disagree with the idea of hiding our advantages.

2) FOR THE SPECIFIC EXAMPLE OF REMITTANCES, how do you help bitcoin without taking something away from BitShares? Think about it in terms of opportunity costs. If we do X to help bitcoin gain a share of the remittance market, what impact would that have on BitShares?

If the impact is none or positive, great, we help BitShares AND bitcoin. As I said, I see no reason to throw glass in front of them, but neither do I think we should effectively throw it in front of our own car.

The more I think about it I see we are spending alot of time trying to focus on bitcoin here than moving ahead with our own work in markets we know we have an advantage in.

I understand the reasons to try to win over bitcoiners and address our poor reputation in their minds. It's important to do (as best we can, realizing many won't be won over due to an emotional attachment that rejects rational info that challenges their attachment) and I'm with you Max in your efforts to raise the BitShares' community awareness of how NOT to throw bitcoin under the bus.

I think a balance is necessary, and I've tried to explain why I think the scales are tipped more in one direction when we discuss the remittance market. 

Notice how I made my point in the previous sentence without even mentioning bitcoin? If we want to build a better mousetrap let's focus on engineering the best damned mousetrap we can, not anybody else that might be trying to build one.

To arhag I'll say thanks for your attempt, but I think you now see how difficult it is to try and wear two hats. That's the essence of Max's challenge. Nevertheless, it was a good try which I like b/c it was "let's help BitShares while we also help bitcoin". You're thinking win-win not win-loose and that's great. Let's just make sure we don't sacrifice our own mousetrap in the process.

1) I dont think we should hide advantages.
2) It is just temporary.  Soon customers will realize they dont need bitocin at all, but for the interim fiat > btc > bitUSD > btc> fiat solves a lot of their problems.
Host of BitShares.TV and Author of BitShares 101

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV
Diversify bitcoin into FIAT without entering a centralized counter party risk system.

Dude, I love this angle.

Agreed. Great angle.
Host of BitShares.TV and Author of BitShares 101

Offline Thom

I must not be making my point clear, b/c nobody has addressed it head on, it seems like it's being avoided.

1) I agree with Max's idea in terms of an attitude & style. I disagree with the idea of hiding our advantages.

2) FOR THE SPECIFIC EXAMPLE OF REMITTANCES, how do you help bitcoin without taking something away from BitShares? Think about it in terms of opportunity costs. If we do X to help bitcoin gain a share of the remittance market, what impact would that have on BitShares?

If the impact is none or positive, great, we help BitShares AND bitcoin. As I said, I see no reason to throw glass in front of them, but neither do I think we should effectively throw it in front of our own car.

The more I think about it I see we are spending alot of time trying to focus on bitcoin here than moving ahead with our own work in markets we know we have an advantage in.

I understand the reasons to try to win over bitcoiners and address our poor reputation in their minds. It's important to do (as best we can, realizing many won't be won over due to an emotional attachment that rejects rational info that challenges their attachment) and I'm with you Max in your efforts to raise the BitShares' community awareness of how NOT to throw bitcoin under the bus.

I think a balance is necessary, and I've tried to explain why I think the scales are tipped more in one direction when we discuss the remittance market. 

Notice how I made my point in the previous sentence without even mentioning bitcoin? If we want to build a better mousetrap let's focus on engineering the best damned mousetrap we can, not anybody else that might be trying to build one.

To arhag I'll say thanks for your attempt, but I think you now see how difficult it is to try and wear two hats. That's the essence of Max's challenge. Nevertheless, it was a good try which I like b/c it was "let's help BitShares while we also help bitcoin". You're thinking win-win not win-loose and that's great. Let's just make sure we don't sacrifice our own mousetrap in the process.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 06:06:15 pm by Thom »
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline rgcrypto

• View Profile
    • Cryptoctopus Blog
Diversify bitcoin into FIAT without entering a centralized counter party risk system.

Dude, I love this angle.

Offline bitmarley

• View Profile

BitShares Android app? Was not aware this was available yet

Android app download link via dropbox here (alpha version)
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=11902.75

Offline hpenvy2

• View Profile
To be clear, It is cool to point out the benefits of bts.  In fact I would say it is critical.  I am just saying being tactful.

Its just the principles in the classic. "How to win friends and influence people."

But it is all kind of heightened by a factor of ten because if you can make it pro bitcoin you will get 10 times the eyeballs.

The biggest problem I have with bitshares today is its lacking cold wallet functionality. I could x10 my bitshares investment overnight if there was a cold wallet feature that could sign offline transactions and a hot wallet that could broadcast them. Alternatively OTP support in the client would help. Unfortunately now I have to just sit on the sidelines and wait. In the meantime perhaps other options will come up that overtake bitshares.

I'd like to hear more about this from our development team.

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile

I totally agree with you as a PR strategy. It extends further though into maturing the software features that bitcoin users need: Bitcoin users need bitshares bitAssets.

I am a hardcore bitcoiner who has never invested in any other alt-crypto until a few weeks ago I got really interested in bitshares. I would say that it wasn't I chose bitshares but rather *I didn't have any choice but bitshares*. Learning about the bitshares network security helped. Bitshares is the only way I know of to diversify bitcoin into FIAT without entering a centralized counter party risk system. The bitAssets CFD pools are the only decentralized option that is functional today. Bitcoin users need fiat diversification now. So everytime there is short term volatility in bitcoin or a failure such as Gox/Stamp, bitcoiners will go on the lookout for fiat diversification options. Bitshares is standing there with open arms ready to solve their problems via a decentralized network. 

This is the bitshares race. I recently downloaded the bitShares android app from these forms which seems to work great. Also I tried one of the btc/bitshares gateways you mentioned earlier and it worked! I would love to see a fully client side bitshares webwallet people could download and run locally in their browser with cold and hot wallet features. The existing software is 90% there but the final 10% missing security features are critical.

These development features lay down bridges that invite bitcoiners to cross over into bitsharesland whenever there is turmoil in the bitcoin kingdom. There are still some critical bridges that aren't fully matured which means bitcoiners who come to them may think twice before crossing. The bridges needs to be strong, smooth, shiny and straight as possible to maximize rapid conversion.

BitShares Android app? Was not aware this was available yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline bitmarley

• View Profile

I totally agree with you as a PR strategy. It extends further though into maturing the software features that bitcoin users need: Bitcoin users need bitshares bitAssets.

I am a hardcore bitcoiner who has never invested in any other alt-crypto until a few weeks ago I got really interested in bitshares. I would say that it wasn't I chose bitshares but rather *I didn't have any choice but bitshares*. Learning about the bitshares network security helped. Bitshares is the only way I know of to diversify bitcoin into FIAT without entering a centralized counter party risk system. The bitAssets CFD pools are the only decentralized option that is functional today. Bitcoin users need fiat diversification now. So everytime there is short term volatility in bitcoin or a failure such as Gox/Stamp, bitcoiners will go on the lookout for fiat diversification options. Bitshares is standing there with open arms ready to solve their problems via a decentralized network. 

This is the bitshares race. I recently downloaded the bitShares android app from these forms which seems to work great. Also I tried one of the btc/bitshares gateways you mentioned earlier and it worked! I would love to see a fully client side bitshares webwallet people could download and run locally in their browser with cold and hot wallet features. The existing software is 90% there but the final 10% missing security features are critical.

These development features lay down bridges that invite bitcoiners to cross over into bitsharesland whenever there is turmoil in the bitcoin kingdom. There are still some critical bridges that aren't fully matured which means bitcoiners who come to them may think twice before crossing. The bridges needs to be strong, smooth, shiny and straight as possible to maximize rapid conversion.

Offline hpenvy2

• View Profile
Beating Bitcoin does not mean BTS will succeed. Beating Bitcoin will not add value to BTS users.
we should consider on how to serve people who use Bit-assets and BTS to create value. This is the only long term grantee of high BTS price.
So I agree with bitmarket said.

+5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5% repeat, repeat, repeat