Author Topic: Guys can we stop shitting on nubits  (Read 5965 times)

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
To get a 1st-hand perspective of what our recent NuBits-bashing is like, go over to the Nxt forum and try to start a discussion on BitShares. The mindless tribalistic hatred you will experience is something we should be very careful not to dish out to our competitors.

Well-thought-out criticism is great, but whatever we do, we should never act like the Nxt folks.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Sorry, but that's álso a generalisation :)
Some obviously do, and that's their problem.

Others (which is most probably the silent majority) are interested in both Nxt, Bitshares and a few others systems, too.

One of the problems is that the people who like to shout (in ány community) shout very loudly, up to the point where communities look like they are made up of a group of shouting baboons at time.

That happens on Bitcointalk, Nxt forum and no doubt you at times have the same.

I am admin on the Nxt forum, and no, I do not hate Bitshares. Neither do any of my colleagues. I may have my doubts about some things, but am open to being persuaded, like any sane person would be. I lurk here and also read along. It's only normal to do so.

"the Nxt folks" do not exist. Any community is diverse and will include nice and less nice people.

Welcome, Damelon!

I realize that when I talk about "the Nxt folks," I'm mostly talking about 2Kool4Skewl. It's what you said - the people who shout loudly are the ones who the community becomes known for, and there's nothing that the "good" community members can do about that. I know as well as anybody that we have "the BitShares folks" too.

I guess I was trying to put in a word to help people be less like 2Kool4Skewl and/or tonyk (one of our loudmouths around here), and I'm sorry that I implicated the good people at Nxt. Don't worry, I really do know that you aren't all that way!
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline bytemaster

It was actually a coincidence That I posted that on their single largest daily gain. I didn't notice their game until after I had published.   I thought the timing was perfect.   

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline cgafeng

BTC:1EYwcZ9cYVj6C9LMLafdcjK9wicVMDV376

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
To get a 1st-hand perspective of what our recent NuBits-bashing is like, go over to the Nxt forum and try to start a discussion on BitShares. The mindless tribalistic hatred you will experience is something we should be very careful not to dish out to our competitors.

Well-thought-out criticism is great, but whatever we do, we should never act like the Nxt folks.

Others (which is most probably the silent majority) are interested in both Nxt, Bitshares and a few others systems, too.

One of the problems is that the people who like to shout (in ány community) shout very loudly, up to the point where communities look like they are made up of a group of shouting baboons at time.

I am admin on the Nxt forum, and no, I do not hate Bitshares. Neither do any of my colleagues. I may have my doubts about some things, but am open to being persuaded, like any sane person would be. I lurk here and also read along. It's only normal to do so.

"the Nxt folks" do not exist. Any community is diverse and will include nice and less nice people.
Now everyone can test his position on how to best convince others:
Would you rather take a second look at NXT and listen to the doubts Damelon has about Bitshares when he come across as friendly and rational like this or would you rather listen to some angry and aggressive next guy that tries to threaten Bitshares?

Offline Damelon

• Nxt forum admin
    • View Profile
    • Nxt Forum

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil

Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
I honestly can't take them seriously when it didn't even occur to them that they have to hedge their bitcoin exposure until after they lost 100's of thousands of dollars during the crash.

It's downright criminal when you combine it with deceptive marketing like this that doesn't even mention that risks exist and tries to paint the peg as something eternal and unbreakable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_imtRPCKCg

I'm tired of bitshares getting overshadowed by shitty altcoins with flashy, pump n dumpy marketing. I look forward to watching them crash and burn, hopefully as soon as possible.

Edit: I deleted the post toast linked to because I have to admit it was pretty fucking dumb and bad PR. To paraphrase what I said "we'll copy your nubots, and we will hedge because we're not retarded, and we will use a sound asset that is cryptographically backed by highly liquid collateral"
I see your good intention and I also wonder about how irrational a market can be at times.

The question is how will nubits fanboys perceive it and how outsiders will perceive it. I bet that both of these groups are better convinced by behavior that can be expected from people that focus on content rather than personal accusation or threatening others (to convince them).
The two examples toast posted above are a great demonstration of this. 

Remember that people who do not know enough about the content (pegged assets) will judge the winner of the conversation by how discussants treat other people (and other implicit behavioral traits that reflect on the intellect and social health of someone).

The challenge is to combine provocation with adequate behavior that reflects well on us.

What about those who were Goxxed? Or the people who were predicting the 2008 collapse?  Were they doing a disservice to their name and those who listened? 

When we risk always being PR friendly, we take a step in the direction of complicity.  Now don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with having a PR guy who comes out and tries to put out the fires, but there is also nothing wrong with organic, rational and respectful debate.  It certainly is a balancing act, and I understand both your side and toasts...but I do not think we should be so intent on not shaking things up that we say nothing about projects with unsound fundamentals....
Why is being friendly and being controversial / calling things what they are a contradiction?

This http://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/2smt81/proof_that_nubits_fractional_reserve_get_out_now/cnr1z0g doesnt sound like a "organic, rational and respectful debate"

Shake things up but stay "superior" / on top by not getting emotional and by not attacking others personally. If someone has to attack personally or gets emotional it's a sign (especially for the calm outsider that is not involved in such a disucssion) that that person ran out of arguments.

https://discuss.nubits.com/t/apologies-from-a-bitshares-guy/1146  well written   +5%
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 12:29:26 am by delulo »

Offline fuzzy

I agree, and I think that when we started attacking Nubits was a significant cause of the downtrend back in septembet.  It made us look very unprofessional and incompetent.  It still does, every time it happens.

Even if Nubits fails epically, people still will not reward us for saying Nubits will collapse. Thats not how things work.  No one likes the person who hated on something, even if they are proven right.

What about those who were Goxxed?  Or the people who were predicting the 2008 collapse?  Were they doing a disservice to their name and those who listened? 

When we risk always being PR friendly, we take a step in the direction of complicity.  Now don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with having a PR guy who comes out and tries to put out the fires, but there is also nothing wrong with organic, rational and respectful debate.  It certainly is a balancing act, and I understand both your side and toasts...but I do not think we should be so intent on not shaking things up that we say nothing about projects with unsound fundamentals....
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
I agree, and I think that when we started attacking Nubits was a significant cause of the downtrend back in septembet.  It made us look very unprofessional and incompetent.  It still does, every time it happens.

Even if Nubits fails epically, people still will not reward us for saying Nubits will collapse. Thats not how things work.  No one likes the person who hated on something, even if they are proven right.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline fuzzy

I honestly can't take them seriously when it didn't even occur to them that they have to hedge their bitcoin exposure until after they lost 100's of thousands of dollars during the crash.

It's downright criminal when you combine it with deceptive marketing like this that doesn't even mention that risks exist and tries to paint the peg as something eternal and unbreakable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_imtRPCKCg

I'm tired of bitshares getting overshadowed by shitty altcoins with flashy, pump n dumpy marketing. I look forward to watching them crash and burn, hopefully as soon as possible.

I for one think there is nothing wrong with calling out a system that would hurt people if it weren't called out.  If you look on twitter and in other places you will see nubits and all other competitors doing the same thing with us so this isn't a one-sided thing--its the nature of the game.  Besides, this controversy is doing a great deal for our name recognition.   

Someone posted to me something about how Pepsi never comes out attacking Coca Cola, but simply tries to make a better cola.  In defense of this "go along to get along" mentality, it definitely proves valuable for both, but then again when competitors are unwilling to point out the flaws in one another's structure they do no favors to the little guy.  It is a function of the competition, both the pretty and the ugly sides of it, that tends to form a protective layer for customers. 

In my opinion if we are too afraid to call out a dangerous scheme when we see one, we are no better than the current system where MSNBC tries to tell people to buy into a stock market at all time highs.  This may not be open collusion but the effect is the same...so I am for Rune's confrontation. 

Now if he was spreading pure FUD that has no basis in fact...it would be a completely different story.  However, that is not what he is doing.  Just my two cents...and let us hope that rather than flame us for calling them out, they choose to evolve their system to one that benefits its holders and all ecosystems to which it is tied as opposed to the house of cards they are currently building.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Rune

• View Profile

Edit: I deleted the post toast linked to because I have to admit it was pretty fucking dumb and bad PR. To paraphrase what I said "we'll copy your nubots, and we will hedge because we're not retarded, and we will use a sound asset that is cryptographically backed by highly liquid collateral"
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:48:22 pm by Rune »

Offline hpenvy2

• View Profile
 +5%

I have nothing to add, that says it all.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
It makes you look desperate and threatened.

Dan's blog posts were intended to communicate structural problems he saw in nubits. Everyone else took it as a green light to start more or less slandering their project.

It is clear they don't have malicious intent. You might disagree about whether their stuff can work or not, heck you might even feel a moral obligation to protect investors, but the right answer is to calmly point out structural problems.

Here is a positive example:  http://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/2smt81/proof_that_nubits_fractional_reserve_get_out_now/cnr0gke

Here is a negative example:  http://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/2smt81/proof_that_nubits_fractional_reserve_get_out_now/cnr1z0g
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.