Author Topic: Discussion: Could we make the rules to get yield make simplier?  (Read 1410 times)

Offline svk

The yield I'm displaying on bitsharesblocks is simply (collected_fees / current_supply). It's an estimate of the annual yield, as explained by BM in the post xeroc linked:

You can estimate the "current APR" as  TOTAL_ACCUMULATED_FEES / BIT_ASSET_SUPPLY
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Everything that goes into the reserve fund

is used to pay the yield .. to get a yield you need to hold your bitUSD for at least 24h. The announcement with equation and description is here:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=8520.msg110779#msg110779

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
if not changed it is really complicated and the shown yield on bitsharesblocks should be far away, because in the beginning you get less and later you get more.

would like to get a post from bytemaster

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
I am not sure how the yield works. I think you have to have the bit asset in your wallet for a certain amount of time before you start getting a yield.
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
Bitsharesblocks.com now shows the yield for every bitAsset class.

I am not sure how this is calculated. As far as i know i get more yield if i hold my 1 bitUSD for a year, compared to someone who holds it just a day.

Is this still right? If yes, i would like to discusss, why we do this and not make the yield the same for every day? In my opinion it makes no sense and complicates the message to the
masses

I am a big fan of "keep it simple and stupid" and in this case we should make it as easy as possible. So if the yield in bitsharesblocks.com shows 1% it is the yield i can assume i get for a year and shouldn't depend how long i holded the bitAsset.