Author Topic: Please Consider Voting for fuzzy.beyondbitcoin  (Read 18284 times)

sumantso

By Transcripts, I believe you are talking about what Gamey used to do for us; adding Time Flags and corresponding topics for ease of use.

Maybe I used the wrong word. I meant a readable version of the hangout.

The audio version is too slow, and while I can't speak for others at least to me the hangouts currently are of not much use to me.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 09:39:15 pm by sumantso »

Offline fuzzy

Thank you for your response and valuable input.  This is a good time to clarify some things. 

As a 100% paid delegate, I have hired 2 Editors to edit the hangouts for Audio (20% each--Emailtooaj/Mira).  I have also Hired BTSWildpig to help bring these hangouts to the Chinese Community (20%).  I have also set aside 10% for Mumble Server Administration (JoeyD) as he is going to be working on increasing the maximum number of participants drastically for future expansion.  10% has been set aside for the Delegate Technician. 

At current marketcap, the approximate Operating Budget for Beyond Bitcoin (BTS) is:  $1300-$1500/month  (not including individual taxes, which will range from 15-30% off the top)

Human Resources Expense:
Fuzzy:            $260-$300/month
Emailtooaj:      $260-$300/month
Mira:                $260-$300/month
JoeyD:            $130-$150/month
Tech:              $130-$150/month

Delegate Fees:
Delegate Registration:  Approximately $600 to start the delegate and the team will not be paid until this initial cost is recompensed (they wanted to pitch in, but this just simplifies things). 
Google Virtual Private Server (VPS) Fees:  Though we are currently in a free trial period, this will run approximately $75/month starting 50 days from now.  Which will cut down my personal income from this delegate to $185-$225.

Mumble Fees:
VPS Server:  This Server will run approximately $50 dollars per month (we are still looking into the best deal--not the cheapest, mind you--but the best deal), but it will help us expand to 800, then 1600, and later 3200 Slots.  This will be necessary as we form partnerships with complimentary technologies and DPoS-Based DACs that wish to share the burden of building onto our shared code/infrastructure base (coders/manufacturers working on tools that integrate into alternate DPoS chains in effect are building our infrastructure for free so this is a very worthy investment by my calculations). $135-$175 is the delegate pay I receive after this expense.

SoundCloud:  The SoundCloud Pro Account enables us to upload unlimited amounts of content for $15/month.  This means that we can start a Public Service Media Network for all DPoS-Friendly Organizations/DACs that serve in the best interests of BitShares', its holders and the decentralized networks of power that grow from it and its underlying protocols.
     Past:    I found out approximately 1 month ago that Gamey has been paying out of pocket for the Beyond Bitcoin SoundCloud account.  This account has been up for approximately 1 year (12 months) and I intend to pay him back out of my own delegate fees.  This means that I will owe $180 out of my first month's salary. 
     Future:   $15/mo moving forward taken out of my pay, cutting it down to $120-$160/month.

As you can see, this 100% delegate actually doesn't give us a lot of room to do what we are doing on a grand scale (yet)--though it is safe to say that the team currently working on Beyond Bitcoin (BTS) has substantially improved the quality of the hangouts already!  In fact, I believe that those working for it are worth approximately 10x what they currently are currently making.  Luckily there will eventually be many DACs "Powered by Bitshares" to help shoulder the burden of paying for this Public Service.

So why are our workers so valuable?  I hire people who have first volunteered their services free of charge and proven their intent to help build our ecosystem first and foremost.  My philosophy is that those who work for our community and ask nothing in return are the first who we should compensate and trust with our capital. 

Why pay people who would work for free?  Because they have proven their intentions and motivations are aligned with our own with no other motivators present.  Once that has been proven, the element of "Individual Greed" can be included and I can still be confident that these individuals will be here for the long haul for you.  Not only that, but people who would work for free, shouldn't have to do so at a substantial opportunity cost to themselves. Those who sacrifice early on are the ones taking the largest risk both with respect to personal compensation and, in turn, voting power within the system itself--and they are doing it for everyone else.  By all rights, there is actually no rational reason why anyone would volunteer for this for personal gain at these marketcaps.  Indeed, it would be far more rational for them to pick up a second job and just buy BitShares (or another cryptocurrency that doesn't have this kind of service).

All these factors make them the best candidates to work for this Public Service Team we call "Beyond Bitcoin"--that started and was supported Right Here first.  Now with that said, to your statement here:

A transcript would mean I would be able to cover it and stay updated in a matter of minutes.
By Transcripts, I believe you are talking about what Gamey used to do for us; adding Time Flags and corresponding topics for ease of use.   
I agree that transcripts are helpful.  I will speak with the team regarding this request, but my initial thoughts are that this should be a task done by individuals in the community who want to gain a reputation and believe they are the best qualified for boiling down the entirety of a hangout into a couple of words.  There is a reason why we minimally edit the Context within the Audio--because this is a platform to be used by journalists.  It is modeled after Public Services like CSPAN:

3rd Party Journalists Report on our hangouts and give their opinions. 

I hope that we will provide the content needed for someone in the space to begin journalistic efforts that report on the happenings in the BitShares Ecosystem and am concerned about constricting the Context too much as I feel it is in your best interest as an investor to listen to the entirety of the hangouts.  However I do understand how time-restrictions might cause problems for some listening to all of the content (a very small minority do not even have time to even listen to them while traveling).  Though I am on the fence about whether providing these Flags is the correct approach for our own internal efforts...I am open to suggestions and will cover this topic when the Beyond Bitcoin team meets tonight.     

For the time being, remember that if you have a smart phone you can listen to our hangouts ( https://soundcloud.com/beyond-bitcoin-hangouts ) while you take your morning run, on your drive to and from work...and nearly any other extra time you have available.  I will keep your thoughts in mind and appreciate you taking the time to voice them.   

One final note.  This delegate position has been created because I in large part paid out of pocket to great expense of myself over the past year to ensure our community had something most do not.  So in essence, this delegate keeps me from being in the RED for my efforts--and maybe provides me with approximately $100 a month after taxes.  So I do want to let people know that this is not an easy task and it is severely underpaid and will continue to be so even at 10x the current marketcap (because the workload will substantially increase as marketcap increases).  I promise I am not simply taking our community's funds and gambling them away.  In fact, this is going to likely be the only source of my own personal investment in BTS as I move forward because I can no longer afford to buy cryptocurrencies with the income I make from my real world job.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 06:10:01 pm by fuzzy »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

sumantso

Since there is a 100% delegate now, I would point out that transcripts of the hangouts are necessary. Its all fine arranging more and more hangouts, but how many of us has the time to listen through all of it?

Don't get me wrong, Fuzzy, BM and the rest who regularly take part are doing a great job, but it takes a lot of time to listen through it. I have covered some 30 mins in total over the last 3 BM sessions, and didn't get into any of the other ones. A transcript would mean I would be able to cover it and stay updated in a matter of minutes.

Offline wackou

After upgrading your client, you also need to remember to publish the new version on the blockchain, you can do that with:

Code: [Select]
>> wallet_publish_version fuzzy.beyondbitcoin

Given that this is something that I have forgotten to do so many times, the bts_tools now have an option to do this automatically for you when they detect that the client has been upgraded. I will try to have this clearly explained in the docs in a couple of days, but I don't have a link readily available yet. There's a small section in the tutorial that quickly goes over it, though: http://bts-tools.readthedocs.org/en/latest/howto_monitor.html
Please vote for witness wackou! More info at http://digitalgaia.io

Offline fuzzy

if you didn't see it fuzzy, your delegate is always missing his block, you should update to 0.5.3

I did upgrade it.  There is something else going on.  Looks like it is fixed now though.  Will keep checking on it!

It still shows that you are running ver 5.0 whereas you should be running 5.3 like everyone else is.

It has been upgraded.  I am not entirely sure why it still is showing up as 0.5.0. but please remember here everyone that this delegate has only been up for a week.  Many of the delegates on here have had time to go through the "volatile" stages of running the delegates very early on so it looks far worse than it really is.  Just wait and see in a month where it is and you will see that the stats will look far better.  A rough start doesn't preclude a terrible end and this delegate will only get better over time.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 01:39:53 am by fuzzy »

Offline onceuponatime

if you didn't see it fuzzy, your delegate is always missing his block, you should update to 0.5.3

I did upgrade it.  There is something else going on.  Looks like it is fixed now though.  Will keep checking on it!

It still shows that you are running ver 5.0 whereas you should be running 5.3 like everyone else is.

Offline fuzzy

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

Voted in  +5%

Looking forward to great things.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline fuzzy

Your delegate's reliability was very low,please look into it.

Definitely looking into it at present.  Don't worry I will get this delegate exactly where it needs to be, please remember it has only been producing blocks for going on 3 days now.  I am working through the ticketing system to receive support from Chunkhost's side and if it cannot be fixed will be using a new provider in the coming days/week. 

I was directed to use Chunkhost awhile back...seems there is a latency issue with their server.  Please give me the information to join the delegate group on skype so I can receive notifications there.

Also, can someone please consider working on adding an RSS feed?  We really should be using that to update everyone instead of a Skype group.

lzr1900

Your delegate's reliability was very low,please look into it.

Offline fuzzy

I couldn't agree with you more fuzzy!  I so appreciate your voice and couldn't imagine taking this journey without you.

We can coordinate with one another.  It wasn't so long ago in the BitShares collective consciousness that the impetus for widespread collaboration even emerged! through the >3% delegate coming into existence we have a much needed capacity to grow stronger as a working team, as we emerge into the 'wild', as it were, of this new frontier we are moving into. 

It takes a long time to turn a ship, and that only requires one person and a solid rudder. (hydraulics are useful too sometimes!)  This crew has made a few epic course corrections since a glimmer in the eye became a nugget of gold, forged in the hearts and minds of the intrepid i3.  As Bytemaster alluded to in the last mumble session, small is agile, big is mighty, but slow.

*What?  Stan gets rocket metaphors, so I call ships.. ;)

You're right.  You have always selflessly offered up Beyond Bitcoin to community involvement, and I sense you've had a lot of time to think about the untold many means of organization between the 'nodes' of this net we are weaving through our very existence and participation.

Honestly what impressed me most about this community before I was really 'all in', was its ability to adapt to changing circumstances and new reckonings on the fly.  We have a tremendous capacity in this regard and I think the ship (or fleet of ships) are arriving at a really ideal heading for the waters we travel.  A talented, and somewhat motley crew (my favorite kind) is coming together in a really organic and beautiful fashion.  This can sometimes be painful but also yield some amazing results!

From what I can tell of you so far fuzz, you're a rather humble soul, and humble as you are --- we will be your mirror, to let you know you have been a massive force in holding space for this community, in which many have gathered.
Sometimes people just take space for granted, while remaining fixated on the objects within.  Keep advancing the torch!  There was just some trouble about being too far ahead of your time, but the rest of us are catching up.  Imagine what BM goes through.

I support your delegate, and I'll offer help with video production once we are up and running on that front here!

I see us building an open-source diaspora-like social web for delegates to communicate and coordinate their actions so as to tap into the synergy inherent the 'edges' of our crew.  I know you took a crack at this one already!  We are evolving, and soon we shall emerge as a coherent entity with a force not seen in a long long while.

This makes me smile.  Your vision is very similar to how I see it too.

Offline ebit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: ebit
Bitshares are experiencing "based on shareholders " to "based on employees" to "based on users" transformation.
Hold on.
telegram:ebit521
https://weibo.com/ebiter

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
I support Fuzzy.

I think we just need to get the translation of beyond bitcoin mumble hangouts out to being content on news/informational/bitshares.org type websites and mumble is our key for that.

Offline lovejoy

• View Profile
    • Cryptofresh
  • BitShares: lovejoy
I couldn't agree with you more fuzzy!  I so appreciate your voice and couldn't imagine taking this journey without you.

We can coordinate with one another.  It wasn't so long ago in the BitShares collective consciousness that the impetus for widespread collaboration even emerged! through the >3% delegate coming into existence we have a much needed capacity to grow stronger as a working team, as we emerge into the 'wild', as it were, of this new frontier we are moving into. 

It takes a long time to turn a ship, and that only requires one person and a solid rudder. (hydraulics are useful too sometimes!)  This crew has made a few epic course corrections since a glimmer in the eye became a nugget of gold, forged in the hearts and minds of the intrepid i3.  As Bytemaster alluded to in the last mumble session, small is agile, big is mighty, but slow.

*What?  Stan gets rocket metaphors, so I call ships.. ;)

You're right.  You have always selflessly offered up Beyond Bitcoin to community involvement, and I sense you've had a lot of time to think about the untold many means of organization between the 'nodes' of this net we are weaving through our very existence and participation.

Honestly what impressed me most about this community before I was really 'all in', was its ability to adapt to changing circumstances and new reckonings on the fly.  We have a tremendous capacity in this regard and I think the ship (or fleet of ships) are arriving at a really ideal heading for the waters we travel.  A talented, and somewhat motley crew (my favorite kind) is coming together in a really organic and beautiful fashion.  This can sometimes be painful but also yield some amazing results!

From what I can tell of you so far fuzz, you're a rather humble soul, and humble as you are --- we will be your mirror, to let you know you have been a massive force in holding space for this community, in which many have gathered.
Sometimes people just take space for granted, while remaining fixated on the objects within.  Keep advancing the torch!  There was just some trouble about being too far ahead of your time, but the rest of us are catching up.  Imagine what BM goes through.

I support your delegate, and I'll offer help with video production once we are up and running on that front here!

I see us building an open-source diaspora-like social web for delegates to communicate and coordinate their actions so as to tap into the synergy inherent the 'edges' of our crew.  I know you took a crack at this one already!  We are evolving, and soon we shall emerge as a coherent entity with a force not seen in a long long while.