Author Topic: Blog Post Suggestions for BM & Co  (Read 8751 times)

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile

How about: How Talented Experienced Developers (who don't have time to read the Library of Congress that is bitsharestalk.org to figure out a direction/roadmap) can get Involved and Contribute to the Project in a Meaningful, Organized and Productive Way.

or maybe just a post about the direction/vision/roadmap/milestones.

+5%
+5%
A recruitment message we can promote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
What will healthcare industry look like? If I can convince my bosses...

Health care records will be moved onto the blockchain.  Record owners will have a read only key to their records, but can sign off on 'contributors' ie physicians who can modify these records.  This will also open up the door for other third party's to provide healthcare services to your cell phone, such as rule based clinical notifications and reminders, that are targeted by demographic. You're a 50 year old male? Its time for your first colonoscopy
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

deprdoo

But what about other intellectual property? What are your views?

Not really bitshares related, I know. But I suppose a blockchain would make a great patent office.

This is a Dac proposition back in the time by bytemaster  :
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=1053.msg10995#msg10995

Wow thanks great post. I never would have found that. Great idea.

On the topic of healthcare,  I have come to realize that most of my objections of the US system comes from my impression of the insurance companies. It seems like it I easy to qualify to make payments, but once you get sick it turns out you were never actually covered due to whatever reason the insurance company can get away with. But that's bitcoin 101 right there isn't it? The central banker can't just change rules in the middle of the game, a DAC insurance company couldn't reinterpret the fine print after somebody gets sick.

Offline davidpbrown

The limits of BitShares.. what can it not do.

Overview of the core devs.. what skill set BitShares has and perhaps allude to what is missing. (I wonder one of those is ability to put out a trusted PPA for Ubuntu and Linux to save users compiling.)

Perhaps do a prediction for 2016 or a review of what surprises came from 2014.
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline oco101

• View Profile

Not really bitshares related, I know. But I suppose a blockchain would make a great patent office.

This is a Dac proposition back in the time by bytemaster  :
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=1053.msg10995#msg10995

deprdoo

Lack of action can never be considered violence.  It comes down to "positive rights" and "negative rights".   

Positive rights can only be granted by violating negative rights.   

Example: you have a right not to be killed (negative right), but you do not have a right to live (as bad as that sounds).

The only way to grant someone the "right to live" is to deny someone else the "right not to be killed".   

In other words, to give someone "free health care" requires you to kill anyone who resists paying for that free health care.

Healthcare is like food, shelter, clothing, and every other good on the market.   It seems kind of crazy to give everyone free healthcare but not give them free organic food and free housing with free utilities. 

The ultimate logical conclusion of all "positive rights" arguments is absolute communism which lacks the ability to do economic calculation which ultimately destroys the economy leaving everyone without healthcare, food, or shelter.   Not to mention the extreme concentration of power required to grant positive rights.

This leaves me with more questions than before. But my biggest question is: is healthcare really like every other good on the market? Don't drug companies have more incentive to treat cancer then to cure it? Maybe even throw in a few extra side effects so that you need other drugs to treat the side effects? Hospitals are incentivised to keep you there longer. Doctors incentivised to prescribe drugs you don't need for kickbacks, or unnecessary surgeries.

So you think the best answer is to just let the poor die, but then won't they just kill us and take our money?

My first thought when I heard about DACs was a drug company. But I didn't really understand it so well at the time and don't really know if it would work. Open source drugs seems like it would be a huge benefit to all, except the shareholders of the drug companies.

I actually appreciate your post because it gives me misconceptions that need to be addressed.  I am sure there are many people who think like you and are looking for solutions. 

Blockchains can be used to solve some problems, such as bonding doctors.  They can also create prediction markets for the effectiveness of various deceases and the likelihood that certain approaches will lead to a cure. 

Most barriers in the medical industry that raise costs are regulations and limits to competition that could drive prices down. 

Right now we have the perverse situation where vitimins and natural remedies are outlawed and regulated out of existence while provably harmful subsances such as floride get a pass.  If you let the government do your thinking for you (and everyone else) then the result is less critical thinking and more political BS which ultimately leads to more people dyeing.

Hopefully you feel healthcare is worthy of a blog post. I appreciate the answers, even if I am not yet quite convinced.

Another topic that ties in slightly is copyrights and patents. Libertarians seem to have differing views on this.

Personally I feel like open source drug research would be hugely beneficial for mankind, being able to build on the achievements of others instead of always having to build from scratch till the patent runs out.

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop
BM, if you're interested in US healthcare system, please PM me. I have personal connections to the really really core people and may introduce Bitshares to them.  :)
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop

Offline bytemaster

Lack of action can never be considered violence.  It comes down to "positive rights" and "negative rights".   

Example: you have a right not to be killed (negative right), but you do not have a right to live (as bad as that sounds).

The only way to grant someone the "right to live" is to deny someone else the "right not to be killed".   

In other words, to give someone "free health care" requires you to kill anyone who resists paying for that free health care.

Healthcare is like food, shelter, clothing, and every other good on the market.   It seems kind of crazy to give everyone free healthcare but not give them free organic food and free housing with free utilities. 

The ultimate logical conclusion of all "positive rights" arguments is absolute communism which lacks the ability to do economic calculation which ultimately destroys the economy leaving everyone without healthcare, food, or shelter.   Not to mention the extreme concentration of power required to grant positive rights.

This leaves me with more questions than before. But my biggest question is: is healthcare really like every other good on the market? Don't drug companies have more incentive to treat cancer then to cure it? Maybe even throw in a few extra side effects so that you need other drugs to treat the side effects? Hospitals are incentivised to keep you there longer. Doctors incentivised to prescribe drugs you don't need for kickbacks, or unnecessary surgeries.

So you think the best answer is to just let the poor die, but then won't they just kill us and take our money?

My first thought when I heard about DACs was a drug company. But I didn't really understand it so well at the time and don't really know if it would work. Open source drugs seems like it would be a huge benefit to all, except the shareholders of the drug companies.

I actually appreciate your post because it gives me misconceptions that need to be addressed.  I am sure there are many people who think like you and are looking for solutions. 

Blockchains can be used to solve some problems, such as bonding doctors.  They can also create prediction markets for the effectiveness of various deceases and the likelihood that certain approaches will lead to a cure. 

Most barriers in the medical industry that raise costs are regulations and limits to competition that could drive prices down. 

Right now we have the perverse situation where vitimins and natural remedies are outlawed and regulated out of existence while provably harmful subsances such as floride get a pass.  If you let the government do your thinking for you (and everyone else) then the result is less critical thinking and more political BS which ultimately leads to more people dyeing.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Xeldal

I can't figure out how to do health care better than a government.

Thats right! and you are only human.
Governments also, are only made of humans and have the same problem.
Being a government doesn't grant special 'figure it out' powers, only the ability to take more resources. 

Governments can't do health care better than free markets.
Lucky for governments they can make competition illegal or extremely expensive.
The Government then does not need to worry about 'how to do healthcare better'.

Nowhere in the universe can you do anything without cost.  It cost me 3 calories to eat this sandwich.

Government anything, has a greater cost than the free market solution, simply because they have no incentive to 'do better'.

I assume the fix would be blockchain based insurance providers and hospitals. But what happens to the poor?  Is the libertarian thing to do just let them die off?
blockchains can potentially save money anywhere they are employed.  In the case of insurance, nearly the entire industry could be replaced.  Hospitals still need doctors and facilities.

Libertarians also, are just humans, they have no greater or lesser feeling for the poor and missfortunate.  In a libertarian state, everyone, not just libertarians, would keep more of their earned money and waste less on government.  So everyone, not just libertarians, could spend that money in care of the poor, or whatever their hearts desire, at the greatest efficiency.

Does the free market work with health care? Isn't there an incentive to keep you sick or even make you sick?

No matter the type of government.  People will always have these incentives for their own short sited gains.
The best solution can only be found by removing all barriers, freeing the market to offer all number of options.

Then it is your choice to listen to the doctor who only wants to make you sick.

clout

Tips for trading on BitShares exchange,
Tips for trading world's financial markets,

These are the two topics I'd like to see most.

How about a post that describes how bitshares investors can keep their current stake in bitshares while increasing the bitasset marketcaps and volume by going short and long simultaneously?

As a result of issues with ease of access/use most if not all the demand for bitassets comes from bitshares investors that want to hedge against downturns and given the depressed market cap of BTS, investors have little incentive to buy bitassets. Right now we have $30m of value and we are using less 10% it to create bitassets. I think if we had more investors creating their own bitassets trading them with other investors we could see the bitasset/bitasset markets mature even before the website for the exchange is up.

deprdoo

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
How about: How Talented Experienced Developers (who don't have time to read the Library of Congress that is bitsharestalk.org to figure out a direction/roadmap) can get Involved and Contribute to the Project in a Meaningful, Organized and Productive Way.

+5%
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline bytemaster

I would like to know Bytemaster's vision for health care.

Please excuse my ignorance on the matter but the US's health care system makes me think of it as a third world country. Barbaric.

I don't know of any Canadian who would prefer us style health care to the system we have. I'm pretty sure Canada spends a lot less on health care, for much better service. Cuba spends way less per capita and still is right up there for quality of service.

Taxes may be violence to a libertarian but isn't letting somebody die, or even just get more sick, because of money, kind of like violence?

I can't figure out how to do health care better than a government, though I do feel like governments could do a much better job of it with a little transparency and common sense. The wasteful spending I see locally makes me sick.

I assume the fix would be blockchain based insurance providers and hospitals. But what happens to the poor?  Is the libertarian thing to do just let them die off?

Does the free market work with health care? Isn't there an incentive to keep you sick or even make you sick?

It is a complicated topic that has kept me from considering myself a libertarian for years.

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Xeldal

I think an entire site could be devoted to just the organization of development and the vision of what we're going for. 
List of developers, what they're working on, important obstacles that need tackling, where help is needed,Milestones, roadmap, vison, dev conferences?
Problem is anyone who actually knows these things is probably too busy to do them.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Productivity stuff is very interesting! I'd like to hear BM talk about how he manages to stay motivated and be so productive, especially now when 99% of everything funneled to his attention is problems.

Bytemaster's vision for health care would be interesting as well. Haven't heard him mention that yet, though he has spoken about his insurance idea, and the idea of buying stocks in people.