Author Topic: Account 'bter' please return funds  (Read 10623 times)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
I'm gonna get shot down for this... but this is yet another case where bitshares could benefit from having reversible transactions.

You could set a block target for when the transaction was spendable (like an uncleared balance in a bank), and up to that block the transaction could be reversed by the sender.

But why would you ever want to do this as a sender? BTER wouldn't give you access to the funds in your account until the transaction became irreversible, so it would be akin to filling out the sending information and then waiting 30 mins before clicking send.

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
Maybe we could have a bounty to investigate who owns this name. It's likely to be closely linked to whatever the real account name they used unless they tried hard to preserve anonymity.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to find out?! I'd love to see how such a thing could be done. What resources would likely be necessary? What would be the chances of finding the culprit?

It's too sad that there are opportunists (on all scales) who will cause harm by taking from others.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

zerosum

Just an opportunity to repost this info.
I have one of those -'bter-deposit' to be exact. If you ever make a mistake to that one just let me know, cause I will not see it fast, as it is in non-active wallet of mine. Other than that Clains has a bunch of those accounts but I do not think this one in particular... anyway check with him.

Man, I cannot wait for the day we will be able delete accounts, to get rid of that one...

Offline toast

• View Profile
The situation in the OP makes me sick. That guy will be turned off from using bitshares ever again. $6k down the drain, christ..

https://github.com/BitShares/web_wallet/issues/533

I want to crowdfund a partial reparation but I'm afraid that would open the floodgates for everyone else who got ripped off.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
It's because a reversible transaction is equivalent to a slow normal transaction. At best, bter could make a thing that says "we see your incoming transaction", but then the user is still responsible for noticing the lack of a signal and triggering the reversal. Meanwhile everyone else suffers slow transactions, or we make it optional and then nobody would choose to support it.

Yes make it optional and then make the client recommend (with a dialog box) that a newbie user uses that feature. At least the client itself would support it by showing a countdown to irreversibility. Anyway youve probably thought about this already.

I think we should keep a running tally of how much the scammer has won - how much did your brother-in-law lose?

Offline toast

• View Profile
I dont get the automatic kneejerk against reversible transactions.

It's because a reversible transaction is equivalent to a slow normal transaction. At best, bter could make a thing that says "we see your incoming transaction", but then the user is still responsible for noticing the lack of a signal and triggering the reversal. Meanwhile everyone else suffers slow transactions, or we make it optional and then nobody would choose to support it.

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
I don't think he will be returning the funds. If you register the name "bter" then you would want someone to get tricked so you can make some money off it.
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline speedy

• View Profile
I dont get the automatic kneejerk against reversible transactions.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
this is terrible!

name are great - because say are easier, but this is also the back side - you can easy take the wrong one.

i would love to see a more complex naming system

not just ; shentist

more like a address

1. shentist
2. jupiter
3. blue

so it would be not so easy to mistake someone for another person

- you should also start to send only a small portion in the beginning and check if it is function or not.

Offline speedy

• View Profile
I'm gonna get shot down for this... but this is yet another case where bitshares could benefit from having reversible transactions.

You could set a block target for when the transaction was spendable (like an uncleared balance in a bank), and up to that block the transaction could be reversed by the sender.

I think this is a really good idea +5%. By having a pending transaction feature, the real Bter could confirm on the deposit page that he has an incoming deposit. Users would expect to see this notice when they send to Bter. If they dont see anything after a while it gives them a chance to realise that they made a mistake and thereby reverse the transaction.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 07:50:03 pm by speedy »

Offline Pheonike

Maybe set a threshold where the user specifies an amount and the systems prompt for a verification click over that amount.

ex. "This is your first time sending to this name, are you sure it this is the correct name?"

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
i would keep autofill but just for accounts which user has apporved and added to favorites!
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline monsterer

My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline vikram