Author Topic: Bitcoin trying to become BitShares - Decentralized Dev Funding  (Read 2788 times)

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
Is DPOS part of the Bitshares toolkit?
If so, would Bitcoin make a donation of sorts in terms of coins to Bitshare holders in the event of integration of this software.
It would be difficult to imagine unless Bitshares becomes larger than Bitcoin.
Let's be fair, as a second generation crypto, BitShares owes a bunch to Bitcoin. Due to its distribution, Bitcoin can't honor the so called social consensus if it takes DPOS, but given it has been the key enabler that made everything else possible, I don't think it has to. Beside Bitcoin is still the spearhead of our movement and the only brand that is widely known to the public. It's in everyone's interest to make sure that it won't blow up and throw discredit on the whole industry. If Bitcoin endorses BitShares technology, the positive PR for BitShares will be more than enough of a compensation.

Offline klosure

• View Profile
If so, would Bitcoin make a donation of sorts in terms of coins to Bitshare holders in the event of integration of this software.
Let's be fair, as a second generation crypto, BitShares owes a bunch to Bitcoin. Due to its distribution, Bitcoin can't honor the so called social consensus if it takes DPOS, but given it has been the key enabler that made everything else possible, I don't think it has to. Beside Bitcoin is still the spearhead of our movement and the only brand that is widely known to the public. It's in everyone's interest to make sure that it won't blow up and throw discredit on the whole industry. If Bitcoin endorses BitShares technology, the positive PR for BitShares will be more than enough of a compensation.

Offline sschechter

• View Profile

This would never happen based on one core BitShares flaw.....they didn't think of it first  8) 
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans

Offline oldman

• View Profile
This has none to do with DPOS. It's basically a donations platform with a slick desktop client.
It doesn't solve the freerider problem: my contribution will cost me personally but benefit everyone else equally. This is evident even in the bounty that funded the app: 50 grand for the app and another 50 as a matching fund. It's really pathetic compared to the amounts spent on electricity.
Bitcoin will have to switch to some variation of DPoS or it should die. The quicker the better.

Or be adopted by big banks, corps and govs who will use the wasteful mining process as a barrier to entry (ie. same thing they do with regulations) and slowly but surely assume control of the network (in the best interests of the public, of course! Safety, security!).

I think it is safe to say that BTC will always be POW.

The question is really - can the herd turn fast enough?

BTS = Freedom

BTC = More of the same

Wish folks could see this coming.

Offline triox

• View Profile
  • BitShares: triox
This has none to do with DPOS. It's basically a donations platform with a slick desktop client.
It doesn't solve the freerider problem: my contribution will cost me personally but benefit everyone else equally. This is evident even in the bounty that funded the app: 50 grand for the app and another 50 as a matching fund. It's really pathetic compared to the amounts spent on electricity.
Bitcoin will have to switch to some variation of DPoS or it should die. The quicker the better.

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
Hmm...this sounds a lot like a Kickstarter for bitcoin to me. So you basically just donate your bitcoin toward development efforts? I'm pretty sure our system that doesn't require anyone to directly donate is fairly superior...

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
This is great for us.   Now resist the temptation to gloat or point out it that analogy came from BM or that bitcoin is a loss producing company with no chance of ever being profitable.   Let this "bitcoin is a business" meme sink in for 6 months first.

That's it, they are basically recapitulating BitShares development in slow motion:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2t86n6/100000_bounty_completion_call_to_core_devs_and_you/cnwobbh

And when they get to the end of their reasoning they will finally realize why DAC, bit-SHARES, and Delegated-PoS.

Offline klosure

• View Profile
If Bitcoin is to survive, it needs to witch to DPOS and make the inflation rate something that can be voted on. That would solve all their problems at once: inflation, environmental footprint, funding of developments, centralization around ASICs makers etc. It's not even difficult since PTS already did the job of integrating DPOS. I think Gavin is quite objective on the fact Bitcoin is headed right into the wall, some spokesperson from BitShares should approach him to discuss what can he done. Maybe a weighted DPOS+POW hybrid approach with progressive shift to DPOS?

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV
This is great for us.   Now resist the temptation to gloat or point out it that analogy came from BM or that bitcoin is a loss producing company with no chance of ever being profitable.   Let this "bitcoin is a business" meme sink in for 6 months first.
Host of BitShares.TV and Author of BitShares 101

Offline oco101

• View Profile
Wow look at that !!! That says a lot about how innovative Bitshares is, of course don't expect any credit to be given ...

This is a user on reddit :
Bitcoin is now a decentralized company. The product we create we give to ourselves to sell back to ourselves to fund our own research and development. Brilliant.

This idea Bitcoin as a decentralized company is clearly bytemasters preaching.....

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
I guess we talked to much on reddit or bitcointalk and someone noticed.