Author Topic: 0.5.1 and 0.5.3 are unusable for me  (Read 6251 times)

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
The CLI client of both versions still has the unbearable typing lag I mentioned last time. Running it with --server and using the web wallet doesn't help. It is very slow. The RPC POST requests have an average latency of around 2 minutes and some of them timeout with an error!

Do you still have the lag in CLI when no wallet is open? Is it equally laggy during syncing and after synced?

I still have lag whether the wallet is open or not. The blockchain syncing and indexing (not scanning) is what is causing the performance problems and lags. I believe it is a little better after reaching the present block and maintaining sync compared to catching up with the sync, but it may just be my imagination. The point is that the unbearable lag is still present even when the blockchain is never more than 0-20 seconds behind the present block (meaning "after sync").
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:59:19 pm by arhag »

Offline vikram

The CLI client of both versions still has the unbearable typing lag I mentioned last time. Running it with --server and using the web wallet doesn't help. It is very slow. The RPC POST requests have an average latency of around 2 minutes and some of them timeout with an error!

Do you still have the lag in CLI when no wallet is open? Is it equally laggy during syncing and after synced?

Offline xiahui135

• View Profile
0.5.1 is finally usable for me.
Hope the web-wallet will be out asap

Offline Riverhead

It took me literally days to get the client usable on an old 2007 Apple Macbook Pro PC running OSX 10.9.5. Eventually it does calm down if you leave the client open (doesn't have to be unlocked) and just let it trundle through. As can be seen in the tutorial video the client is working fine.

I suspect people are correct when they suggest the client is HD bound for lower ram machines. This machine only has 3GB of RAM but it does eventually get itself sorted.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
My gui client(linux)  has a hard time to keep more than 3 network connections also...

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
I'm running a delegate node and the 0.5.3 upgrade seems to have networking issues.
Looks like it's connecting to itself as a peer and there are race conditions in the code that gets confused about the state of the  sync blocks and disconnects (from itself).
Code: [Select]
Peer <my-own-public-ip>:47595 disconnected us: You offered me a list of more sync blocks than could possibly exist
Peer <my-own-public-ip>:36004 disconnected us: You offered me a list of more sync blocks than could possibly exist
--- there are now 30 active connections to the p2p network
--- there are now 26 active connections to the p2p network
--- there are now 23 active connections to the p2p network
--- there are now 4 active connections to the p2p network
--- there are now 3 active connections to the p2p network
--- in sync with p2p network
--- there are now 19 active connections to the p2p network
--- there are now 18 active connections to the p2p network
--- there are now 2 active connections to the p2p network
--- there are now 1 active connections to the p2p network
--- there are now 0 active connections to the p2p network
--- there are now 17 active connections to the p2p network

Also, on initial start up of 0.5.3 I'm seeing the connection count climb to over 130.
(And I'm about to be bumped off of the top 101...)
Try to remove the peers.leveldb folder and restart?
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline bitder

• View Profile
I'm running a delegate node and the 0.5.3 upgrade seems to have networking issues.
Looks like it's connecting to itself as a peer and there are race conditions in the code that gets confused about the state of the  sync blocks and disconnects (from itself).
Code: [Select]
Peer <my-own-public-ip>:47595 disconnected us: You offered me a list of more sync blocks than could possibly exist
Peer <my-own-public-ip>:36004 disconnected us: You offered me a list of more sync blocks than could possibly exist
--- there are now 30 active connections to the p2p network
--- there are now 26 active connections to the p2p network
--- there are now 23 active connections to the p2p network
--- in sync with p2p network
--- there are now 19 active connections to the p2p network
--- there are now 18 active connections to the p2p network
--- there are now 1 active connections to the p2p network
--- there are now 0 active connections to the p2p network
--- there are now 17 active connections to the p2p network

Also, on initial start up of 0.5.3 I'm seeing the connection count climb to over 130.
(And I'm about to be bumped off of the top 101...)
wallet_account_set_approval delegate.bitder 1

Offline matt608

• View Profile
I've had the same problems since October.  It takes hours to send a single transaction and I have to use the console.  I don't know why its not fixed first, before adding more features.

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
Did you reindex or resync blockchain ?

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
Have you tried the basics?

-Remove BitShares folder and re install latest client.  For Windows its under User/AppData/Roaming/Bitshares.  Of course backup your wallet before doing this!
-Have you tried a fresh install of Linux or Windows?  Anything running in the background? 

Offline mitao

• View Profile
Same here. Good job for the 20 100% dev delegates. You deserve the delegates and your end of year bonus. The client become more and more laggy. You almost push me to the limit to quit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
I have tried both building 0.5.3 myself and using the pre-compiled 0.5.1 binaries. The results are the same: the clients are totally unusable.

The Qt client isn't better. The 0.5.3 Qt client is very slow and laggy and sometimes won't ever load pages like the market. In fact it completely froze my Ubuntu system (hard reset required) when I tried to load the market in an attempt to cover a short! The performance of the 0.5.1 Qt client was actually pretty decent, but I quickly realized the only reason that was the case was because the blockchain wasn't syncing at all beyond the point left by the CLI client (a problem I mentioned last time with v0.4.27.2), meaning its completely worthless.

So basically there is no properly functioning client for me at the moment. I only have 4 GB of RAM on the laptop so I didn't expect super snappy performance with the full client, but this is just ridiculous. It has to be some bug in the client right? Or is my computer somehow messed up?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 03:37:47 am by arhag »