Author Topic: what is useful of Bitshares-js?  (Read 3031 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
It looks for me as as useful resource. I surf over the source code, but I wanna ask if this is the full implementation of bitshares client or any part of it? And how can I execute this (like bitshares rpc client for example), because in there is not to much info in github page? What I wanna do is to build an transaction and broadcast it.

Thanks in advance!
It can construct and sign transactions .. its not a full node and does not verify the blockchain .. think of it as a lightweight client such as mycelium for btc

EkremH

It looks for me as as useful resource. I surf over the source code, but I wanna ask if this is the full implementation of bitshares client or any part of it? And how can I execute this (like bitshares rpc client for example), because in there is not to much info in github page? What I wanna do is to build an transaction and broadcast it.

Thanks in advance!

Offline joele

• View Profile
Should be both Web and browser extension wallet, just like blockchain.info and KryptoKit

Offline theoretical

Yeah, I think using BitSharesJS for a browser extension is much more reasonable than using it for a website.

The problem is that if you're asking people to download and install a browser extension, you might as well ask them to download and install a native application.  A browser extension doesn't have the "it just works"-ness of a website.
BTS- theoretical / PTS- PZxpdC8RqWsdU3pVJeobZY7JFKVPfNpy5z / BTC- 1NfGejohzoVGffAD1CnCRgo9vApjCU2viY / the delegate formerly known as drltc / Nothing said on these forums is intended to be legally binding / All opinions are my own unless otherwise noted / Take action due to my posts at your own risk

Offline BTSdac

• View Profile
  • BitShares: K1
when does it release?
github.com :pureland
BTS2.0 API :ws://139.196.37.179:8091
BTS2.0 API 数据源ws://139.196.37.179:8091

Offline jamesc

An extension provides a third party version of the code that, as far as I know, we can not modify.  Chrome made it easy to deploy any working website into their browser from the store.  I will be research this.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:31:05 am by jcalfee1 »

Offline bytemaster

run Bitshares secure functions (like the wallet) in the browser

Aren't "secure...wallet" and "in the browser" mutually exclusive?

Even though the server doesn't store the user's private keys, in practice the user is effectively trusting the server with their private keys.  For the good and simple reason that, if your browser downloads and runs JS that has access to both your private keys and a network connection to the server that you downloaded it from, what's stopping that server from including evil code in the JS to steal your private keys?

With the existing wallet, you can compile it yourself and (in theory) every last line of  code is public and auditable.  We (or at least I) eventually want to have reproducible builds, so anyone would be able to verify the hash of a binary distribution built with specific toolchain and library versions.

I don't see how the JS version is auditable in that way unless you self-host the JS -- but I assume that the whole point of this exercise is to create a wallet that doesn't require users to install any software.

Chrome Extensions are much easier to install and more integrated.   In most cases you can trust the wallet provider and keeping your private keys safe is part of their business model. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline theoretical

run Bitshares secure functions (like the wallet) in the browser

Aren't "secure...wallet" and "in the browser" mutually exclusive?

Even though the server doesn't store the user's private keys, in practice the user is effectively trusting the server with their private keys.  For the good and simple reason that, if your browser downloads and runs JS that has access to both your private keys and a network connection to the server that you downloaded it from, what's stopping that server from including evil code in the JS to steal your private keys?

With the existing wallet, you can compile it yourself and (in theory) every last line of  code is public and auditable.  We (or at least I) eventually want to have reproducible builds, so anyone would be able to verify the hash of a binary distribution built with specific toolchain and library versions.

I don't see how the JS version is auditable in that way unless you self-host the JS -- but I assume that the whole point of this exercise is to create a wallet that doesn't require users to install any software.
BTS- theoretical / PTS- PZxpdC8RqWsdU3pVJeobZY7JFKVPfNpy5z / BTC- 1NfGejohzoVGffAD1CnCRgo9vApjCU2viY / the delegate formerly known as drltc / Nothing said on these forums is intended to be legally binding / All opinions are my own unless otherwise noted / Take action due to my posts at your own risk

Offline jamesc

Does this run as a full node in the browser?
No, not a full node.  It will talk to full nodes.  We already have the Qt wallet that runs on the full node.

Client side wallets talking to a set of full nodes will scale very well.  This can spread out too.  China, for example, could host local full nodes that are easy to reach on the network.  We will find the same blockchain.

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
Does this run as a full node in the browser?

Offline jamesc

It is a smaller JavaScript version of Bitshares.  This makes it possible to run Bitshares secure functions (like the wallet) in the browser and it helps so the server does not have to store any user's private keys.

Offline BTSdac

• View Profile
  • BitShares: K1
I notice there is project named  Bitshares-js in github.  maybe the useful would been clear for people with code experience,   but i think some people in there like me don`t know ,what is it for.
anyone can say it ,thank you
github.com :pureland
BTS2.0 API :ws://139.196.37.179:8091
BTS2.0 API 数据源ws://139.196.37.179:8091