Author Topic: Litecoin up 30% today, Coinbase adding Litecoin tomorrow?  (Read 4757 times)

Offline fundomatic

• View Profile
https://twitter.com/XRPtalk/status/559448602934657024

Coinbase using stellar ??? https://xrptalk.org/topic/5278-coinbase-using-stellar/

The link is to the ripple forum where the answer is that the DOGE is a more likely candidate :)

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
I posted on the other thread, my mistake, but I guess it's about this? https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=13669.msg178588#msg178588

First U.S. Bitcoin Exchange Set to Open Coinbase Has Backing From the NYSE, Banks and Venture Capitalists

By GREG BENSINGER

Jan. 25, 2015 4:34 p.m. ET

The virtual currency bitcoin is getting a very real boost on Monday, with the opening of the first licensed U.S. exchange.

Coinbase Inc., a startup backed by $106 million from the New York Stock Exchange, banks and venture-capital firms, said its exchange will offer greater security for individuals and institutions to trade bitcoin and monitor real-time pricing of the cryptocurrency.

The exchange could bring needed legitimacy to the currency, which isn’t backed by a central government and is traded over virtual exchanges, primarily overseas. Coinbase said it has insurance, offering traders some assurance that their money won’t disappear.

Bitcoin enthusiasts have been buffeted by the collapse of Japan-based exchange Mt. Gox last year—taking with it around half a billion dollars of investors’ money—and a security breach earlier this month at Slovenia-based exchange Bitstamp. The value of a bitcoin itself, determined by trading on existing exchanges, has fallen to about $240, from a peak in late 2013 of more than $1,200.

“To have an organized exchange that has the backing of thoughtful venture capitalists and investors addresses one of the main problems with bitcoin: its extreme volatility,” said Campbell R. Harvey, a Duke University finance professor who has studied cryptocurrencies. “Bitcoin has been sorely in need of something like this.”

Coinbase’s founders say they have been working for five months to win licenses from state financial regulators. They have regulatory approval in half of U.S. states, including large population centers like New York and California. For now, Coinbase can do business with account holders only in states where it has approval.

Coinbase will take a small percentage—likely less than 1%—of most transactions, said Fred Ehrsam, 26 years old, a co-founder. The exchange will initially be limited to users in the U.S., but Chief Executive Brian Armstrong, 32, said he plans to expand overseas.

Mr. Armstrong said he expected to attract both individuals and businesses looking to trade bitcoin. “Our goal is to become the world’s largest exchange,” he said.

Others are looking to open U.S.-based bitcoin exchanges, including Tyler and Cameron Winklevoss, the twin brothers known for their early feuds with Facebook Inc. founder Mark Zuckerberg .

Financial regulators, including the U.S. Federal Reserve, have been scrutinizing bitcoin recently. Benjamin Lawsky , the superintendent of the New York State Department of Financial Services, is working on a so-called BitLicense for firms looking to offer digital-currency services in the state; Coinbase is operating under earlier regulations. Mr. Lawsky’s plan is seen as a template for legislation in other jurisdictions, and it may give outsiders more confidence in the currency.

Bitcoins are created using high-powered computers that “mine” for the currency by solving complex mathematical equations. They are exchanged digitally either for currency, or goods and services. Ownership and transactions are recorded, anonymously, in a so-called blockchain, which backers say reduces the risk of fraud.

Bitcoin grew to prominence in recent years in part because of the ease with which it can be transferred.

Coindesk, which tracks the price of bitcoins, says 82,000 businesses accept the currency, double that of a year earlier, including e-commerce site Overstock.com Inc. and Expedia Inc., as well as many small retailers. The value of all bitcoin is $3.2 billion, according to Coindesk’s price index.

The NYSE invested in Coinbase during a $75 million round of fundraising that closed this month. Other investors include USAA Bank, the venture arm of Spain’s Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria SA, former Citigroup Inc. CEO Vikram Pandit and former Thomson Reuters Corp. CEO Tom Glocer. Venture backers include Draper Fisher Jurvetson, Andreessen Horowitz and Union Square Ventures.

The NYSE’s investment was intended in part to “keep an eye on bitcoin as it matures as a legitimate currency,” President Tom Farley said. “Any currency relies on its acceptance.” The Coinbase exchange “is an important step for the currency to become socially acceptable.”

Coinbase counts about 2.2 million consumer wallets and nearly 40,000 merchants that use its services. The company has about 75 employees and plans to operate in 30 countries by year-end, up from 19 today.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline fuzzy

That rocket sure is similar to the one in the Stellar logo.

Bitcoin is already difficult enough for the public to understand. I would be surprised if they added any additional projects that didn't directly strength Bitcoin. Maybe something to do with the upcoming Winki Gemini exchange or debit cards?
U mean like ethereum?  "Oil to bitcoins gold"?
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline hpenvy2

• View Profile

Bitcoin is already difficult enough for the public to understand. I would be surprised if they added any additional projects that didn't directly strength Bitcoin. Maybe something to do with the upcoming Winki Gemini exchange or debit cards?

Offline bluebit

• View Profile
BTSX TipMe: bluebit

Offline edilliam

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Stellar?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

If it's any alt project this one would make the most sense with the announcement theme. Does Coinbase have any ties to Ripple?

Maybe they are pulling a Xapo and putting BTC wallets in space... i.e. their "Vault" functionality would be based on satellite harbored wallets.

not sure about ties to ripple but I'm sure they have ties to Circle which backed stellar's team with $3m
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
It's a big move. LTC has 30% inflation though, so if they're not consistently adding users they'll just start sliding down again even after a positive announcement.

Tuck Fheman

This brings back memories ... "MtGox adding Litecoin tomorrow?" ... ahhh, those were the days.

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
I'm pretty sure the whole Coinbase announcement thingy has pretty much nothing to do with litecoin. It will have something to do with bitcoin, hence the bitcoin flag on the moon.

I imagine the litecoin rise is a hell of a lot simpler -- it got oversold after many weeks of downtrend and now some big players are ready for a pump. Traders gonna trade.

This I'm sure is the most accurate.  Bear market bounces (short squeezes) are especially viscous and get bulls to buy in out of fear of being left behind.  This then allows the sellers to keep unloading at elevated levels and the bear market resumes.

My guess is litecoin is back at .006 btc by the end of feb.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 07:55:47 pm by lil_jay890 »

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
Litecoin was pumped by a large pump and dump group. At least that's what I heard in the chat rooms.

Are these QQ chat rooms or IRC ?

Chat room in Poloniex.
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Litecoin was pumped by a large pump and dump group. At least that's what I heard in the chat rooms.

Are these QQ chat rooms or IRC ?
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline robrigo

Stellar?

If it's any alt project this one would make the most sense with the announcement theme. Does Coinbase have any ties to Ripple?

Maybe they are pulling a Xapo and putting BTC wallets in space... i.e. their "Vault" functionality would be based on satellite harbored wallets.

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
I'm pretty sure the whole Coinbase announcement thingy has pretty much nothing to do with litecoin. It will have something to do with bitcoin, hence the bitcoin flag on the moon.

I imagine the litecoin rise is a hell of a lot simpler -- it got oversold after many weeks of downtrend and now some big players are ready for a pump. Traders gonna trade.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Stellar?

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
BitShares would be up way more than 30% if that were the case... unfortunately, I doubt this is what's happening.

Offline robrigo

My stab in the dark is that they are integrating with bitshares as a gateway. I personally don't think they are adding LTC but who knows. What value would it bring to their platform? All I can think of is more fees collected via LTC traders using Coinbase.

*waits for BTS price to rise 30%*