Author Topic: Idea: 100% delegate to fund small tasks done by community members  (Read 1873 times)

Xeldal

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=13500.0

^ I proposed something similar.

I'm currently working on a sort of 'launch pad'  where anyone can post either a project they are working on, have interest in working on, or a project they feel needs to get done.  Users will be able to show their support for any such proposals and ones that show qualified interest will be taken into consideration and ultimately pre-funded and awarded to a trusted project manager.   

Offline davidpbrown

I don't know, if referrals are already in place or how those can be proven valuable but rewarding those who bring in real users could be useful. Perhaps reward those who can evidence 100's of new users and up.

I agree but why 100 and up? Each single new user is valuable(?). So a bounty for every new user  seems fair to me. But how can we prevent "spam accounts"?

Single users do not provide stability. 100+ committed users, would be valuable beyond even 1000+ trivial wallets.
How to prevent spam accounts, is not obvious.. that's why I suggested 100+ because it might be possible for someone to evidence that they are valuable.. onus on the person claiming to have been a catalyst, to evidence that. I wonder that someone could be acknowledged as the person who make the link that engages a new audience where that is obvious. I'm not sure I know of an ideal answer to this dilemma to acknowledge people more widely..

Perhaps each new user could have an option to acknowledge one other user and then they can be sent a fraction of the fee for all transactions that follow?
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
I don't know, if referrals are already in place or how those can be proven valuable but rewarding those who bring in real users could be useful. Perhaps reward those who can evidence 100's of new users and up.

I agree but why 100 and up? Each single new user is valuable(?). So a bounty for every new user  seems fair to me. But how can we prevent "spam accounts"?

About the OP proposal of course a  +5%
But we must find the right-one to do it. He must be trusted and have the skills to do it.

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
+5%

The advantage to this might be the option to pay outside BTS too.. single payments for set amount of work, might prove more productive giving access to a wider number of skills? Indeed, certain types of marketing might work better funded like this. Incestuous youtube channels and documentation and websites, have their place but are not as productive as proactively reaching beyond those who might know BitShares already. Getting the message out, I think is most important.. the market cap needs to grow; it's too stuck relative to BTC for us to be complacent.

100 users ? Too easy .
I can bring in hundreds , but they'll kill me for talking them into the current wallet is funds got missing after some operation .
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline davidpbrown

+5%

The advantage to this might be the option to pay outside BTS too.. single payments for set amount of work, might prove more productive giving access to a wider number of skills? Indeed, certain types of marketing might work better funded like this. Incestuous youtube channels and documentation and websites, have their place but are not as productive as proactively reaching beyond those who might know BitShares already. Getting the message out, I think is most important.. the market cap needs to grow; it's too stuck relative to BTC for us to be complacent.

฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
there is a similar proposal in the delegate sector .
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline theoretical

We should have a delegate whose job it is to identify tasks suitable for community contributors.  For example, quickly off the top of my head and going through the issue tracker, the following aren't considered critical enough to spend much core developer time on right now, don't require a thorough understanding of the code, and would be a great place for a new-ish contributor to get their feet wet:

- Write help documents, blog posts, tutorials, etc. explaining a particular screen or click flow
- Implement robohash server natively in the wallet
- Alternate image sets for robohashes
- Testing, testing, testing!  Explain our test frameworks, write better ones, write tests that expose new bugs or reproduce old ones!
- Find a place where double is used in the code, rip it out and use an exact data type instead
- Test various workflows, such as cold storage
- Find and fix the functions that use too much stack space
- Let collateral vote
- IPv6
- Serialization code generation for multiple languages (perhaps by translating FC serialization to protocol buffers or the like)
- Begin to document our almost entirely undocumented homegrown do-everything library, FC
- Allow UNIX sockets to be used, including passwordless authentication based on user ID like Postgresql

Before I became a core developer, I was a community member.  Some of these were fixes I was considering working on.  I didn't want to put forth substantial engineering effort to write a patch without some reasonable expectation of payment, and bytemaster was leery of promising payment for a product that hadn't been created (and I'm sure I3 budget woes due to AGS funds hurting from BTC price decline didn't help the situation).  Now that I'm a core developer, we've solved the impasse, but most of my time is taken up with pressing issues and new feature development / testing.  I haven't even really had time to set up price feeds or a daily pay withdrawal script for my own delegate!

In early days, there were bounties for many tasks, but I believe this was discontinued when it was discovered that managing the bounties was taking too much time away from development.

So I'd like to see a 100% delegate slot used to fund small, self-contained projects like those I listed here.  The delegate maintainer would be responsible for putting together a list of tasks and awarding payment, community members could bid on tasks, and the core team would have the final say on merging pull requests into official releases.
BTS- theoretical / PTS- PZxpdC8RqWsdU3pVJeobZY7JFKVPfNpy5z / BTC- 1NfGejohzoVGffAD1CnCRgo9vApjCU2viY / the delegate formerly known as drltc / Nothing said on these forums is intended to be legally binding / All opinions are my own unless otherwise noted / Take action due to my posts at your own risk