Author Topic: Creating a bitpay Insight-like server  (Read 4950 times)

Offline dorant

• View Profile
I meant multiple wallets not accounts, multiple accounts are working fine :)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
The issue is that the Bitshares RPC client doesn't allow us to have multiple accounts at the same time, so it can't be used as a server.

We would like for users to be able to log in their browser, without downloading anything, and immediately get their transactions, send money, etc.  In this case, users will be communicating with our server, which would send those requests to the Bitshares RPC client - not possible because of the one account per client limitation.

What do you mean by "account"? You can use multiple BTS accounts in one client but I'm assuming you mean something different
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline dorant

• View Profile
The issue is that the Bitshares RPC client doesn't allow us to have multiple accounts at the same time, so it can't be used as a server.

We would like for users to be able to log in their browser, without downloading anything, and immediately get their transactions, send money, etc.  In this case, users will be communicating with our server, which would send those requests to the Bitshares RPC client - not possible because of the one account per client limitation.

Offline theoretical

• View Profile
  • BitShares: theoretical
Where can we find the source code for the mobile wallet thin client?

Our current plan for mobile is to build the Qt light wallet as a mobile app.  The source is available at https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/tree/develop/libraries/light_wallet

Please keep in mind this is a very early developer version.  It is still undergoing heavy development, is not documented, and I recommend using it only on testnet until it is more mature.

we would very much like to start working on this.

We always welcome community contributions.

We would appreciate any help and guidance too!

Core developers are fairly active on Skype, forum and github.
BTS- theoretical / PTS- PZxpdC8RqWsdU3pVJeobZY7JFKVPfNpy5z / BTC- 1NfGejohzoVGffAD1CnCRgo9vApjCU2viY / the delegate formerly known as drltc / Nothing said on these forums is intended to be legally binding / All opinions are my own unless otherwise noted / Take action due to my posts at your own risk

Offline theoretical

• View Profile
  • BitShares: theoretical
Our RPC is much more advanced than bitcoind.  In particular the original bitshares GUI wallet is actually an Angular powered web application which can run in the browser.  All the GUI actions are implemented by RPC calls to the command line client.  The native application is a fairly simple Qt application which creates a webkit HTML / JS window and loads the web wallet.

jcalfee is working on implementing enough crypto for a wallet in the browser:  https://github.com/BitShares/BitShares-JS

nathanhourt is working on implementing a light wallet which is a native Qt application without needing a full local copy of the blockchain.  This is in the latest commits on develop branch.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 02:56:10 pm by theoretical »
BTS- theoretical / PTS- PZxpdC8RqWsdU3pVJeobZY7JFKVPfNpy5z / BTC- 1NfGejohzoVGffAD1CnCRgo9vApjCU2viY / the delegate formerly known as drltc / Nothing said on these forums is intended to be legally binding / All opinions are my own unless otherwise noted / Take action due to my posts at your own risk

Offline dorant

• View Profile
While working on the Bitsapphire wallet we have come across several issues when it comes to large scale user friendly deployment. One of the issues has been obviously thin clients. We have had extensive experience with Bitpay's Insight server and we believe that a similar setup is really what the DPOS community needs.

Insight is an open-source Bitcoin blockchain explorer with complete REST and websocket APIs that can be used for writing web wallets and other apps that need more advanced blockchain queries than provided by bitcoind RPC.

Does anything like Insight already exist for Bitshares? Where can we find the source code for the mobile wallet thin client?
If this isn't in the pipeline atm we would very much like to start working on this. We would appreciate any help and guidance too!