Author Topic: BeyondBitcoin hangout with Bytemaster 01-30-15  (Read 12286 times)

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
I know several people that play bingo for money multiple times per week.   I know others that play bingo every time they go on a cruise!   It is "entertaining" in the same way as TV.

It is mindless....  but you know what... so are most people ;)

I think a key ingredient of any built-in promotional game is the possibility for an escalating jackpot.  The bigger the jackpot grows the less boring the game becomes.  Heck, I might even play if the jackpot was big enough to buy Apple.  Or at least I would use it to get my wife, mother, and sister interested.   :)

Every big jackpot blowoff is as good as a news release about ShapeShift in terms of its potential to motivate new people to download a wallet.

+5% a jackpot game does bring attention whenever the jackpot gets large, lottoshares though never gained much traction.

I would say we definitely need quick turn around games though if that were possible, those are what most recreational gamblers like and what seems to drive the market, the lower the house edge & the sooner they can find out if they made a winning bet the better.

Gamblers also tend to leave their winnings on to play later so you end up not only building liquidity but a bigger BitAsset CAP if the games are playable in BitAssets.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 01:14:18 am by Empirical1.1 »

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
I know several people that play bingo for money multiple times per week.   I know others that play bingo every time they go on a cruise!   It is "entertaining" in the same way as TV.

I think a key ingredient of any built-in promotional game is the possibility for an escalating jackpot.  The bigger the jackpot grows the less boring the game becomes.  Heck, I might even play if the jackpot was big enough to buy Apple.  Or at least I would use it to get my wife, mother, and sister interested.   :)

Every big jackpot blowoff is as good as a news release about ShapeShift in terms of its potential to motivate new people to download a wallet.

It's also about generating some liquidity in the BitAsset realm. 

We have numerous ideas for doing that in ways attractive to various constituencies.  Remember convertible BitSilverEagles<->SilverEagles are in the pipeline too. 

Everyone should pursue whatever activity they have the skills to make happen.  Those who succeed are very likely to be rewarded with a delegate slot.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 01:11:43 am by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline fuzzy

*did not mean to encourage mining --- sorry

mining is a thin veil for Bitcoin's early marketing campaign

we need to realize they analogy and see through the veil - when BM is ready to pay marketers directly and dish a ton of dough for marketing maybe guys like hpenvy and methodx will be willing to really work for us. 

Remember what BM says about work?, PEOPLE DON'T WORK FOR FREE.    ..I'm sure you guys don't need a direct quote from the forum...

If marketers are so great at marketing then they can get elected with multiple delegates to get the job done.   I have learned that throwing money at "marketers" does not produce results and that in general they are good at spending other people's money.   Perhaps I was just burned by a few, but I am now very cautious about spending on marketing and am looking for angles that produce results. 

This means I am specifically looking at conversions and measured results.   We will spend money on marketing when we have a strategy.

A lot of marketing people are just natural bullshitters. But I think the marketing delegates we have now (Method-x, Matt608, RGcrypto) are very focused on analytics, so once they learn what works, they'll only be spending on ads that produce a return. They had to pay off their delegate investments and have been scratching together to raise $200 from their delegate earnings, investing all of that and more back into BitShares. That's not wasted money there, but it also is not enough to give BitShares the promotion it needs. The main push should come after we have all the infrastructure in place to make this user-friendly.

Very well stated. 
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

we need to realize they analogy and see through the veil - when BM is ready to pay marketers directly and dish a ton of dough for marketing maybe guys like hpenvy and methodx will be willing to really work for us. 

Remember what BM says about work?, PEOPLE DON'T WORK FOR FREE.    ..I'm sure you guys don't need a direct quote from the forum...

If marketers are so great at marketing then they can get elected with multiple delegates to get the job done.   I have learned that throwing money at "marketers" does not produce results and that in general they are good at spending other people's money.   Perhaps I was just burned by a few, but I am now very cautious about spending on marketing and am looking for angles that produce results. 

This means I am specifically looking at conversions and measured results.   We will spend money on marketing when we have a strategy.

A lot of marketing people are just natural bullshitters. But I think the marketing delegates we have now (Method-x, Matt608, RGcrypto) are very focused on analytics, so once they learn what works, they'll only be spending on ads that produce a return. They had to pay off their delegate investments and have been scratching together to raise $200 from their delegate earnings, investing all of that and more back into BitShares. That's not wasted money there, but it also is not enough to give BitShares the promotion it needs. The main push should come after we have all the infrastructure in place to make this user-friendly.

Offline bytemaster

We will spend money on marketing when we have a strategy.

How can you not have a strategy?   

We have strategies, but we need to test them in small ways to see what works before throwing large amounts of money at them.   In other words we need to discover through measured results that $1 of marketing produces X new users who fund their accounts with Y.   

I have learned quite a bit regarding marketing and data.  Adam is working with these great guys.   I do support them for multiple positions.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile

so apparently you know several people and those people occasionally play bingo.  This is an absurd way to justify bingo development.

I think gambling may be a great angle.  But this is just an absurd approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't download the mumble on my phone & I don't what the case specifically for bingo is, I haven't seen any numbers/figures on that but the case for gambling in general is very strong imo.
I've already put most of my thoughts here - https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=13788.0

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile
We will spend money on marketing when we have a strategy.

How can you not have a strategy?   

If marketers are so great at marketing then they can get elected with multiple delegates to get the job done.

Glad to see this faint ounce of encouragement for our marketers.

I am now very cautious about spending on marketing

This is both good and bad. 

I am looking for angles that produce results.

These are right under your nose.  For instance - Facebook and our delegate RGCrypto. You need to make guys like RGCrypto full time.  RG is a 100% delegate however is unable to draw salary, unlike you.

Perhaps I was just burned by a few

Unlike before, all delegate results are now peer reviewed so it won't be "you" getting burned.  Going forward in the short term we clearly need your blessings if we're going to elect in a lot more dollars for marketing.  I hope you bring more marketing to the game going forward. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 12:50:51 am by Carpet Ride »
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline bytemaster

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bytemaster

About attracting miners to our multipool by giving them a  +5% bonus.

Where would this bonus come from?
And would there be a limit to this bonus?

I would fund it personally until it got unreasonable.

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile

we need to realize the analogy and see through the veil - when BM is ready to pay marketers directly and dish a ton of dough for marketing maybe guys like hpenvy and methodx will be willing to really work for us. 

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 12:30:32 am by Carpet Ride »
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline graffenwalder

About attracting miners to our multipool by giving them a  +5% bonus.

Where would this bonus come from?
And would there be a limit to this bonus?

deprdoo

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Maybe we can hook up some iPads in senior centers.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Everyone has pet features. Mine is lsmr prediction markets.

As long as this is just an idea for when we have more bandwidth then whatever.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
I didn't listen to the hangout but from what I get, you want to create a gambling game within the client? If that's it, I disagree. I thought the main objective was to make a decentralized exchange. This will only add more work and will only be a distraction that imo, doesn't fit in at all, it seems kind of random and something out of context, that just shouldn't be there.

Those kind of things should go for Play. That's why we are having a Play chain, to create games. Not in the BitShares client. First things first. I'm really afraid this will just be a useless distraction that will only make it harder to achieve our objectives.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads