Author Topic: How to hack/crack BitShares blockchain, bitAssets, etc.  (Read 2679 times)

Offline bytemaster

5. Could a centralized Exchange hire a hacker to somehow steal BitShares or BitAssets? > I'd say it's impossible. to my understanding you'd need to hack at least 52 decentralized and voted in Delegates to take over the chain.
Even if you do that you'll be unable to steal anyone else's BTS.
The only way to spend BTS is to publish valid transaction. You need to sign it with the correct private key.

yeah, I meant it in way that you would be able to manipulate the markets. indirect stealing

which isn't even possible if shorts are responsible enough to include a limit price on their order. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
5. Could a centralized Exchange hire a hacker to somehow steal BitShares or BitAssets? > I'd say it's impossible. to my understanding you'd need to hack at least 52 decentralized and voted in Delegates to take over the chain.
The only way to spend BTS is to publish valid transaction. You need to sign it with the correct private key.

yeah, I meant it in way that you would be able to manipulate the markets. indirect stealing

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav

1. How would you seize multiple accounts at once? Blockchain.. > download your wallet and crack your password
2. How could you destroy/shutdown a DAC? ie: iTunes might want to kill PeerTracks. > no too sure about law, but D = Decentralized
3. If I was an ISP, could I somehow block you from connecting to the BTS blockchain? > yep. workaround: TOR/VPN
4. Can specific ports be closed at the ISP that would lock my bts client software out? > yep. see 3

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
I love BitShares, bitAssets, DACs and Delegates.
Now, with that being said, if I was a malicious entity I might want to destroy BitShares by any means necessary so, how would I go about doing it?

Bar shutting down the internet or electricity entirely of course..
1. How would you seize multiple accounts at once? Blockchain..
2. How could you destroy/shutdown a DAC? ie: iTunes might want to kill PeerTracks.
3. If I was an ISP, could I somehow block you from connecting to the BTS blockchain?
4. Can specific ports be closed at the ISP that would lock my bts client software out?
5. Could a centralized Exchange hire a hacker to somehow steal BitShares or BitAssets?

Before I dump larger sums of money into bts and bitassets, I need to know for a fact there's no way my money can get stolen, hacked, proxied off, regulated out, spied upon, etc. I need to know where the weak spots are so that I can fortify those areas as much as technology will allow me to do.

I'd say the ISP could block/proxy access to wallet.bitshares.org quite easily.
An ISP could also block ALL ports, and only leave open 80, 8080, 20, 21, etc. effectively blocking access to bts peers, right?

Please keep this thread on-topic, educated realistic answers only, please.
Moderators, please keep this one on point, thank you. We could use this thread as a sticky.
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat