Author Topic: The end of POW approaches...  (Read 10470 times)

Offline oldman

• View Profile

Unfortunately we're not well positioned to take advantage of it yet so it's likely we'll continue to fall in unison for the time being.

Unless of course bitcoin goes back up...

It can happen.....right? RIGHT??

Keep buying nomoreheroes. :D Nothing has changed, Bitshares is still the crypto project with the most potential.

Well we can start pulling away and looking like the next decentralized contender in line for the throne.

However if a casual observer looked at BitSharesX 3 months ago and looked at BitShares today, the only difference they'd see is this version has given up 20% Equity and introduced inflation. They actually have to see what's being worked on actualised as well as BitAsset growth to start to give us a higher valuation and some forward momentum.

There have been some really opportune times for BitShares to be 'ready'. This certainly ranks as one. Instead, we have to hope that we'll create our own favorable winds when the time comes!

BTS has been showing surprising strength relative to BTC.

Would be fantastic to see BTS take a run following release of 1.0, light wallet and some marketing. Be easy to bump up the leader board...

Offline Pheonike

Lower btc gives more incentive use our virtual mining upool. Just gotta market it.

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
I'm a bit concerned with how quickly Bitcoin has lost all the gains it made from the Coinbase announcement.
This could get messy for BTC if it goes below $200 again and there's no new 'big news' on the horizon.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Unfortunately we're not well positioned to take advantage of it yet so it's likely we'll continue to fall in unison for the time being.

Keep buying nomoreheroes. :D Nothing has changed, Bitshares is still the crypto project with the most potential.

Well we can start pulling away and looking like the next decentralized contender in line for the throne.

However if a casual observer looked at BitSharesX 3 months ago and looked at BitShares today, the only difference they'd see is this version has given up 20% Equity and introduced inflation. They actually have to see what's being worked on actualised as well as BitAsset growth to start to give us a higher valuation and some forward momentum.

There have been some really opportune times for BitShares to be 'ready'. This certainly ranks as one. Instead, we have to hope that we'll create our own favorable winds when the time comes!

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile

I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
There was a thread on Reddit /r/Bitcoin the other day referencing Roger Ver's tweet or posting that he'd been denied a U.S. visa to travel to the Miami conference. (Personally, as much as I respect what Roger Ver did, he basically said he didn't need the U.S. anymore and now he's whining that they won't let him back in when he does need it. Anyway, my opinion is irrelevant.) I mention this here because the comments on that thread really surprised me. Bruce Fenton weighed in regularly on RV's behalf, which was predictable. But while a year or two ago, 100% of the comments would have been blindly in favor of Roger Ver, Bruce Fenton, and Bitcoin, nearly half of the comments there were negative or questioning.

My point: Plenty of people are supportive of Bitcoin and its icons. But there may be fewer 'blind' supporters than we think. A one year bear market + all these scandals is taking a toll. People are willing to question some things now. And that's healthy.

What Roger was saying was that he chooses to no longer be a citizen and pay taxes to the state that imprisoned him for criticizing the abuses of ATF, using his ebay sales of farmers bird scarers as "fireworks" as a convenient excuse (while none of the other 8 sellers on ebay were prosecuted).

Roger's bitterness toward the US government is completely justified - claiming he is "whining" about being denied entry to visit family and conduct business is bullshit.

The politics being played regarding that are nothing but petty revenge by the US government - it is quite obvious that he is being individually targeted, just as he was 15 years ago.

Here's Roger's story if you haven't read it:
http://dailyanarchist.com/2012/11/12/bitcoin-venture-capitalist-roger-vers-journey-to-anarchism/

The fact that 100% of the bitcoin community isn't completely supportive of Roger just goes to show how much it has been invaded by morally bankrupt boot-lickers who would gladly sell away your liberty to see their shiny new bitcoin investment increase another 10%.

/rant

The dude got railroaded, no question. Whoever went after him was way too overzealous. But that's the way cops and prosecutors often work, and it wasn't entirely unforeseeable that they might connect those two dots he left out there for them. Free speech has never been limitless. I can point you to plenty of court cases holding that the wrong words + the wrong actions can get you into a heap of trouble. When you're making anarchist statements that someone might interpret as threats against the government, it's best not to keep a closet full of M-80 gopher blasters. You just have to be smarter than that and can't give them that kind of fodder. Roger won't be trying that one in Japan, I guarantee you.

Live and learn. Everyone makes mistakes, especially when they're young. I respect Roger Ver and I'm sorry that happened to him when he probably didn't intend any harm to anyone. But he's not sitting in an American jail; he chose to give up his passport.

Anyway,  let's say I agree with everything you wrote. My point wasn't that agreeing with Roger Ver makes you a 'tin foil hat' type. It was actually kind of the reverse: that I was shocked at how many people were not necessarily supporting every aspect of the whole Bitcoin narrative anymore. Combine that with other evidence, such as the fall of Litecoin and the ongoing weakness of PoW in general, and I think there are some cracks. If you see this as money people coming in, then so be it; I see it as weariness with Bitcoin's ongoing weakness.

Upshot: evangelizing BitShares to that crowd may not be as futile as some of us (including me) have believed.

Offline bobmaloney

There was a thread on Reddit /r/Bitcoin the other day referencing Roger Ver's tweet or posting that he'd been denied a U.S. visa to travel to the Miami conference. (Personally, as much as I respect what Roger Ver did, he basically said he didn't need the U.S. anymore and now he's whining that they won't let him back in when he does need it. Anyway, my opinion is irrelevant.) I mention this here because the comments on that thread really surprised me. Bruce Fenton weighed in regularly on RV's behalf, which was predictable. But while a year or two ago, 100% of the comments would have been blindly in favor of Roger Ver, Bruce Fenton, and Bitcoin, nearly half of the comments there were negative or questioning.

My point: Plenty of people are supportive of Bitcoin and its icons. But there may be fewer 'blind' supporters than we think. A one year bear market + all these scandals is taking a toll. People are willing to question some things now. And that's healthy.

What Roger was saying was that he chooses to no longer be a citizen and pay taxes to the state that imprisoned him for criticizing the abuses of ATF, using his ebay sales of farmers bird scarers as "fireworks" as a convenient excuse (while none of the other 8 sellers on ebay were prosecuted).

Roger's bitterness toward the US government is completely justified - claiming he is "whining" about being denied entry to visit family and conduct business is bullshit.

The politics being played regarding that are nothing but petty revenge by the US government - it is quite obvious that he is being individually targeted, just as he was 15 years ago.

Here's Roger's story if you haven't read it:
http://dailyanarchist.com/2012/11/12/bitcoin-venture-capitalist-roger-vers-journey-to-anarchism/

The fact that 100% of the bitcoin community isn't completely supportive of Roger just goes to show how much it has been invaded by morally bankrupt boot-lickers who would gladly sell away your liberty to see their shiny new bitcoin investment increase another 10%.

/rant
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline bluebit

• View Profile
I'm more excited when Bitshares starts gaining in market cap, litecoin crashing isn't that exciting. Our market cap is going down just like all the other cryptos today. Not fun to watch.
BTSX TipMe: bluebit

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
LiteCoin is $61 million atm...

Definitely looks to be on the way out in a hurry.
In a downtrend since march. It seems litecoin is pretty much done for.

It's only reason for being in the top ten was that it was number 2.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline hpenvy2

• View Profile

I respect Litecoin for what they did to introduce a new set of enthusiasts to enjoy mining without specialized hardware. I would think most were starting to see the writing on the wall with all the 2.0 related projects entering the market.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile