Author Topic: 1M Bounty BM Proposed on Jan 14 - Bitcoin Wallet Instead  (Read 8101 times)

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
We are bitcoins killer app.   If we put our egos aside and make the best bitcoin wallet possible with built in hedging, millions will flow into bitUSD and the users will never have evenheard of bitshares.

The bitcoin headline reads....

"Receive and send bitcoin. Hedge bitcoin price without counter party risk.  Bitcoins killer app is here."

I like this idea as it doesn't require a bounty or current developer time to attempt.

The only minor concern I can think of is that by not actively promoting BitShares then Bitcoin users are ambivalent to the product they are using. This gives Bitcoin time to develop a similar solution maybe via side chains? (I don't know anything about technical stuff.) So during this window of opportunity we have to promote BitShares and BitAssets, we would have promoted & empowered Bitcoin with our USP and then be made obsolete once they can replace us with their Bitcoin collateralised or other solution and users wouldn't know the difference.

Is there actually any chance of side chains working? Last I heard bitfury was trying to make it so that mining hardware had a fingerprint so that you would know who bad actors were because it is free to mine sidechains, meaning free to attack. At that point, you have to wonder what is the point.

Kind of like coinapult locks. Once you get to the point where you are trusting some guy in panama with your money, what is the point? Just get a bank account.

Ok that's good. As I say I know little about technical stuff.

If we didn't actively brand BitShares & built our BitAsset market around & via Bitcoin wallets that could be easily replaced by big Bitcoin interests, once they have an alternative Bitcoin based/other  solution, without our entire customer base knowing the difference, because they didn't even know they were using BitShares that would be a problem.
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline chewchew

• View Profile
We are bitcoins killer app.   If we put our egos aside and make the best bitcoin wallet possible with built in hedging, millions will flow into bitUSD and the users will never have evenheard of bitshares.

"Receive and send bitcoin. Hedge bitcoin price without counter party risk.  Bitcoins killer app is here."

I like this idea as it doesn't require a bounty or current developer time to attempt.

The only minor concern I can think of is that by not actively promoting BitShares then Bitcoin users are ambivalent to the product they are using. This gives Bitcoin time to develop a similar solution maybe via side chains? (I don't know anything about technical stuff.) So during this window of opportunity we have to promote BitShares and BitAssets, we would have promoted & empowered Bitcoin with our USP and then be made obsolete once they can replace us with their Bitcoin collateralised or other solution and users wouldn't know the difference.

Is there actually any chance of side chains working? Last I heard bitfury was trying to make it so that mining hardware had a fingerprint so that you would know who bad actors were because it is free to mine sidechains, meaning free to attack. At that point, you have to wonder what is the point.

Kind of like coinapult locks. Once you get to the point where you are trusting some guy in panama with your money, what is the point? Just get a bank account.

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile

« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 12:34:14 pm by Empirical1.2 »
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline merlin0113

• View Profile
I don't think it even needs a bounty.  The regular delegate system is working well.

It is relatively low hanging fruit and is already 90% done.

bitshares lite wallet is in final  initial alpha testing.
shape shift API and lens code is open source and ready to use.   And I have a friend with an established bitcoin wallet that is open source. He cannot dedicate developers to doing this but is happy to push it live in his existing wallet with thousands of users.   We are talking a month or two tops of development if someone from this community can do that.

+1 to small input, big payback.

Bitshares has many technical work been done and to be done, this is very fundamental work and everything including markting plan built on that. But maybe to creat another direction, what about we start trying to run bitshares like running real companies? Most companies is sales-oriented, i.e. let marketing initiatives lead the project.

Maybe we are already doing this, but not enough I think because we ignored many brilliant marketing ideas and this bitcoin wallet idea is brilliant.

What I love about Max is that he doesn't just sell what we've got, he tells us what will sell. 
Priceless.

I agree that marketing should lead.  But saying that brilliant ideas are being ignored is missing the point.  There is no central authority you need to get permission from!  We are decentralized now.

Market your ideas to the stakeholders and potential new developers.

You guys have the talent to completely change our direction by just campaigning for your ideas and selling them to the voters to elect the dev delegates you have sold on the idea of joining us to do it.

You shouldn't be waiting for any core team to make your great ideas happen.  Carpe Diem!

Bottom line. 
If its not happening it's because it hasn't been sold internally.
Who has the greatest ability and skill to fix that?

:)

You are right, maybe we have this "guy", maybe not. But I think the guy must be passionate about bitshares and be responsible and resourceful. For a early product like bitshares, I would say PASSION is the most important factor though.

Offline werneo

• View Profile
    • chronicle of the precession of simulacra
  • BitShares: werneo
If we have 1M to burn, offer it to Btc-e. The marketcap growth will pay it back with reduced dilution and/or ability to hire a lot more employees.

I had a detailed proposal regarding how to award it in parts and concentrate on making them add BitFiat deposit option initially.

yes  +5%

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
I don't think it even needs a bounty.  The regular delegate system is working well.

shape shift API and lens code is open source and ready to use.   And I have a friend with an established bitcoin wallet that is open source. He cannot dedicate developers to doing this but is happy to push it live in his existing wallet with thousands of users.   We are talking a month or two tops of development if someone from this community can do that.

Bitshares has many technical work been done and to be done, this is very fundamental work and everything including markting plan built on that. But maybe to creat another direction, what about we start trying to run bitshares like running real companies? Most companies is sales-oriented, i.e. let marketing initiatives lead the project.

Maybe we are already doing this, but not enough I think because we ignored many brilliant marketing ideas and this bitcoin wallet idea is brilliant.

What I love about Max is that he doesn't just sell what we've got, he tells us what will sell. 
Priceless.

I agree that marketing should lead.  But saying that brilliant ideas are being ignored is missing the point.  There is no central authority you need to get permission from!  We are decentralized now.

Market your ideas to the stakeholders and potential new developers.

You guys have the talent to completely change our direction by just campaigning for your ideas and selling them to the voters to elect the dev delegates you have sold on the idea of joining us to do it.

You shouldn't be waiting for any core team to make your great ideas happen.  Carpe Diem!

Bottom line. 
If its not happening it's because it hasn't been sold internally.
Who has the greatest ability and skill to fix that?

:)

« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 02:13:54 am by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline merlin0113

• View Profile

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV

Host of BitShares.TV and Author of BitShares 101

Offline GaltReport

+5% +5%

+5% - super idea

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Offline hpenvy2

• View Profile

This reminds me of your BM blog challenge. We already have infrastructure to help their large user base.

Offline ticklebiscuit

• View Profile
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=13256.msg173664#msg173664

How about putting that bounty toward the Bitcoin Wallet proposal?

"We need to build a bitcoin wallet.  branded as a bitcoin wallet, that allows hedging of bitcoin with no counterparty  risk.   Bitshares is never mentioned.  perhaps bitusdis mentioned, but it is certainly not front and centre.   IF we do that then we begin a stampede into bitUSD on the next bitcoin price drop.   And we dont have to pay a penny in advertising.  Coindesk, word of mouth and reddit will do all the work for us.   You won't be able to get Barry Silbert and every other pundit to shut up about how bitcoins volatility problem has been solved on CNBC." Bitmarket

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=13882.msg180557#msg180557

This guy is one ofnthe smartest sgrotes on the planet.  Bitcoin wallet that stealthily advertising your tech. 
Jump on the train to bitcoin/bitshares marriage and honeymoon.  Maybe we an let people pay to watch the  "behind the scenes" honeymoon footage. As long as they are not playing bingo ot shoild bring customers.

Xeldal

+5% +5%

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV

Host of BitShares.TV and Author of BitShares 101

Offline hpenvy2

• View Profile
If we have 1M to burn, offer it to Btc-e. The marketcap growth will pay it back with reduced dilution and/or ability to hire a lot more employees.

I had a detailed proposal regarding how to award it in parts and concentrate on making them add BitFiat deposit option initially.

It's been over a year since they added a coin. I would love to see our options on there, it just doesn't seem to be a priority for them.

It doesn't hurt to make the offer.