Author Topic: Why aren't there many women in crypto?  (Read 9614 times)

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
Sexist stereotyping probably isn't going to help...

+5% +5%

I must say that I find some of the comments in this thread disappointingly unconstructive at best. :-[
I must also say that I dislike the word 'unconstructive', but have, nevertheless, decided to use it! :P

The only comments I thought to be offensive were in the OP...well, unless you're Angela Merkel  :D
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian

+5% +5%

I must say that I find some of the comments in this thread disappointingly unconstructive at best. :-[
I must also say that I dislike the word 'unconstructive', but have, nevertheless, decided to use it! :P
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
There are so few women interested in crypto for the same reason most guys don't want to paint their bedroom walls pink.  You can talk all day about how great pink is, and the benefits of pink over any other color, but at the end of the day, most guys still wont care.  It doesn't interest them.  Most women wont be interested until they are presented with an appropriate use case that only crypto can solve. If you want to get women interested, find the use cases they care about FIRST before rambling on with the technobabble.
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

38PTSWarrior

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Google analytics shows that almost half of the visitors of my site are female.
now it make sense... why you are still not voted in :P

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 997D

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Hey hey hey.

German here.

Angela Merkel doesn't count.

:D

hahahahahaha

38PTSWarrior

Google analytics shows that almost half of the visitors of my site are female.

Offline JA

• View Profile
Hey hey hey.

German here.

Angela Merkel doesn't count.

:D

Offline xiahui135

• View Profile
Because:
1. It is not easy, needing computer skills
2.it is not useful in daily life or work.

Offline robrigo

The low numbers of women in Computer Science and programming professions are probably also a contributing factor. Agree with lil_jay890 though; there are many professional and very successful women in todays age. There really isn't a whole lot of people interested in crypto as a whole, relative to the world's population.

Do all the men in crypto have a computer science and programming background? I sure don't do you?
I wasn't inferring everybody does but there's a fair amount of people in the space that do. Also, the low numbers of women studying those fields would indicate that there isn't a particularly big interest in software among females, and at the end of the day crypto is another software project.

Offline jae208

• View Profile
The low numbers of women in Computer Science and programming professions are probably also a contributing factor. Agree with lil_jay890 though; there are many professional and very successful women in todays age. There really isn't a whole lot of people interested in crypto as a whole, relative to the world's population.

Do all the men in crypto have a computer science and programming background? I sure don't do you?
http://bitsharestutorials.com A work in progress
Subscribe to the Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitsharesTutorials

Offline jae208

• View Profile
What are your thoughts?

I think the reason there aren't many women in crypto land is because they simply don't care.  It seems like many women are usually more interested in fashion and gossip. Plus, if the woman is pretty she will have hordes of men trying to give her everything she wants in hopes of 'winning her.' So there is no incentive for her to create and build things that will make her rich, powerful or admired. Men are already doing that.

Well then why aren't there many women in this space?

I recently read an article on psychology today talking about stereotypes. The author was basically saying that there is an element of truth to stereotypes and that that is why they even exist in the first place. Trust me I'd like to believe that stereotypes hold no truth but maybe that author was right.

i.e. Black men are deadbeat dads

Basically you are saying women have no drive to be great and they only care about looking pretty and gossiping... and all they need to do is find a man to woo her.

This isn't the 1960's anymore.  I don't know how women are viewed where you are from, but this is not the way they are treated in modern culture.  Here's a list of women CEO's of Fortune 500 companies.

CEO   Company   2014 Fortune 500 ranking
Mary Barra   General Motors   7
Meg Whitman[2]   Hewlett-Packard   17
Virginia Rometty[3]   IBM   23
Patricia A. Woertz[4]   Archer Daniels Midland Company (ADM)   27
Indra K. Nooyi[5]   PepsiCo, Inc.   43
Marillyn Hewson[6]   Lockheed Martin   59
Safra A. Catz[7]   Oracle   82
Ellen J. Kullman[8]   DuPont   86
Irene B. Rosenfeld[9]   Mondelēz International   89
Phebe Novakovic   General Dynamics   99
Carol Meyrowitz   The TJX Companies, Inc.   108
Lynn Good[10]   Duke Energy   123
Ursula M. Burns[11]   Xerox Corporation   137
Sheri S. McCoy[12]   Avon Products Inc.   234
Deanna M. Mulligan   Guardian Life Insurance Company of America   245
Kimberly S. Bowers   CST Brands   266
Debra L. Reed   Sempra Energy   267
Barbara Rentler   Ross Stores   277
Denise M. Morrison[13]   Campbell Soup   315
Susan M. Cameron   Reynolds American   329
Heather Bresch[14]   Mylan   377
Ilene S. Gordon   Ingredion   412
Jacqueline C. Hinman   CH2M Hill   437
Kathleen M. Mazzarella   Graybar Electric   449
Lisa Su[15]   Advanced Micro Devices   474
Gracia C. Martore[16]   Gannett   481

Lets also not forget all the women in politics like:
Angela Merkel
Hillary Clinton
Dilma Roussef
Park Geun-Hye
Micelle Bachelet

There are currently women in crypto as well and more women will come when adoption becomes greater. Right now crypto has been mostly adopted by a libertarian mindset.  Libertarians are 94% white, 68% are men and 62% are under 50.  Look a lot like what crypto demographics might be??  When crypto can cater to a larger group of political ideals, the adoption will grow.

True, I don't deny that there are women in crypto, government and fortune 500 companies. I would say that those particular women are the exception though, they aren't your average female. Plus relative to all fortune 500 companies and governments they are a minority. So why is it that this is the case? Is it because there is a conspiracy among men to keep all women out or is it that many women simply don't care?

Even if the only people that are in crypto have a libertarian mindset I would imagine that the 32% of libertarian women would be attracted to crypto as well.

Are 32% of people in crypto women?

I don't consider myself libertarian I'm not white but I am young and male.
http://bitsharestutorials.com A work in progress
Subscribe to the Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitsharesTutorials

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Stereotyping doesn't reflect all the individual women who have various strengths and interests, some of whom have excelled in these fields. However, on average, you can make some pretty clear generalizations based on research. (1) There are fewer women in tech and finance, and (2) When it comes to money and investing, women are less risk tolerant than men. (Ironically, studies have shown that both approaches to investing end up about the same). Crypto is high tech, it's finance, and it's very risky. Hence, fewer women have been attracted to this field so far. Hopefully, that will change as this gets better established.

Offline robrigo

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
What are your thoughts?

I think the reason there aren't many women in crypto land is because they simply don't care.  It seems like many women are usually more interested in fashion and gossip. Plus, if the woman is pretty she will have hordes of men trying to give her everything she wants in hopes of 'winning her.' So there is no incentive for her to create and build things that will make her rich, powerful or admired. Men are already doing that.

Well then why aren't there many women in this space?

I recently read an article on psychology today talking about stereotypes. The author was basically saying that there is an element of truth to stereotypes and that that is why they even exist in the first place. Trust me I'd like to believe that stereotypes hold no truth but maybe that author was right.

i.e. Black men are deadbeat dads

Basically you are saying women have no drive to be great and they only care about looking pretty and gossiping... and all they need to do is find a man to woo her.

This isn't the 1960's anymore.  I don't know how women are viewed where you are from, but this is not the way they are treated in modern culture.  Here's a list of women CEO's of Fortune 500 companies.

CEO   Company   2014 Fortune 500 ranking
Mary Barra   General Motors   7
Meg Whitman[2]   Hewlett-Packard   17
Virginia Rometty[3]   IBM   23
Patricia A. Woertz[4]   Archer Daniels Midland Company (ADM)   27
Indra K. Nooyi[5]   PepsiCo, Inc.   43
Marillyn Hewson[6]   Lockheed Martin   59
Safra A. Catz[7]   Oracle   82
Ellen J. Kullman[8]   DuPont   86
Irene B. Rosenfeld[9]   Mondelēz International   89
Phebe Novakovic   General Dynamics   99
Carol Meyrowitz   The TJX Companies, Inc.   108
Lynn Good[10]   Duke Energy   123
Ursula M. Burns[11]   Xerox Corporation   137
Sheri S. McCoy[12]   Avon Products Inc.   234
Deanna M. Mulligan   Guardian Life Insurance Company of America   245
Kimberly S. Bowers   CST Brands   266
Debra L. Reed   Sempra Energy   267
Barbara Rentler   Ross Stores   277
Denise M. Morrison[13]   Campbell Soup   315
Susan M. Cameron   Reynolds American   329
Heather Bresch[14]   Mylan   377
Ilene S. Gordon   Ingredion   412
Jacqueline C. Hinman   CH2M Hill   437
Kathleen M. Mazzarella   Graybar Electric   449
Lisa Su[15]   Advanced Micro Devices   474
Gracia C. Martore[16]   Gannett   481

Lets also not forget all the women in politics like:
Angela Merkel
Hillary Clinton
Dilma Roussef
Park Geun-Hye
Micelle Bachelet

There are currently women in crypto as well and more women will come when adoption becomes greater. Right now crypto has been mostly adopted by a libertarian mindset.  Libertarians are 94% white, 68% are men and 62% are under 50.  Look a lot like what crypto demographics might be??  When crypto can cater to a larger group of political ideals, the adoption will grow.