Author Topic: RULE BREAKER >> Naming Convention dev.nathanhourt.com ?!?!  (Read 2204 times)

Xeldal

Nathan owns the account "com", so he is able to have any dot com sub-account he pleases as a result.  8)

Is this true?

I can't register an asset with the name 'bit' in front of it.. I would think something like this would be a reserved naming convention as well.

Can Nathan confirm?

You could always use your own .com subaccount name like:
somewebsite.com.datasecuritynode

or replace the " . " with a  " - "  subdomain.somewebsite-com

Nathan owns delegate.nathanhourt.com and so therefor owns the the account name "com"

I'm sure "net" "org" "info" "io" etc are taken as well.

Does this potentially cause any kind of network/account security issues as far as these owners of these names being able to take over or claim child accounts that potentially millions would attempt to create and fund only to later find this out? I am not fully versed on the parent/child wallet relationship.

No ... the owner of account "com"  has nothing to do with / has no control over  anyone elses subaccount named "com" 

for example there are many delegates with the subaccount name "delegate"

everyone can have a subaccount with the same name and they will not interfere with eachother.

delegate
delegate.person1
delegate.person2
delegate.person3
ect.

They are all different, unique accounts.

Offline robrigo

Nathan owns the account "com", so he is able to have any dot com sub-account he pleases as a result.  8)

Is this true?

I can't register an asset with the name 'bit' in front of it.. I would think something like this would be a reserved naming convention as well.

Can Nathan confirm?

Nathan owns delegate.nathanhourt.com and so therefor owns the the account name "com"

Does this potentially cause any kind of network/account security issues as far as these owners of these names being able to take over or claim child accounts that potentially millions would attempt to create and fund only to later find this out? I am not fully versed on the parent/child wallet relationship.

I don't believe so, because even if all sorts of people "Attempt" to register such an account name, they can't. So it will just error and say the parent name is registered already or whatever.

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

Is this true?

Can Nathan confirm?

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Xeldal

Is this true?

Can Nathan confirm?

Offline sschechter

• View Profile

Is this true?

Can Nathan confirm?

I knew it...BitShares devs are dictators that want to enslave mankind  8)
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Is this true?

Can Nathan confirm?
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline robrigo

Soooo made some mistakes setting up a delegate for the company out of lack of documentation. I didn't think anything of our naming choice at the time because I saw dev.nathanhourt.com in the top 101.

I attempted to register a parent wallet account like subdomain.domain.com (real name not shown, this is just an example) with the intent of creating a full RDNS and webpage featuring everything about our delegate position and maybe even link to it for others to see in other forums and learn about bitshares.. .but anyways I attempted to register the name in linux to the network after successfully transferring 10BTS to it from another account and got this:

subdomain.domain.com (unlocked) >>> wallet_account_register subdomain.domain.com subdomain.domain.com
Code: [Select]
20039 unauthorized_child_account: unauthorized child account
Parent account must authorize registration of this child account!
    {"child_account":"subdomain.domain.com"}
    th_a  wallet.cpp:3036 register_account

{"account_to_register":"subdomain.domain.com","public_data":null,"pay_with_account_name":"subdomain.domain.com","delegate_pay_rate":255}
    th_a  wallet.cpp:3068 register_account

{"account_name":"subdomain.domain.com","data":null}
    th_a  wallet_api.cpp:1178 wallet_account_register

{}
    th_a  common_api_client.cpp:4592 wallet_account_register

{"command":"wallet_account_register"}
    th_a  cli.cpp:629 execute_command

I realize I didn't include the delegate command in this.. I essentially wanted to just get the wallet setup along with the server configuration prior to getting into the delegate pool.

After this happened I start digging into forums and find this reference to a naming convention that this guy found out the hard way too https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=11904.0

I went to the wiki on Best Practices on Account Names only to find it entirely blank.. why I have no idea: http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/Best_Practices/AccountNames

dev.nathanhourt.com is an inside developer that I couldn't find any presence on the forum so I couldn't PM him for the secret sauce to this. So I had to ask the question here:

How on earth did he manage to create this naming convention when the rules state that this would be essentially impossible allowing only one 'subaccount' . in the mix.

I didn't want to do a parent and sub initially.. but even if I was going to, I still have no way to do domain.com .. yet somehow dev.nathanhourt.com has managed too.

Can someone on the inside tell me exactly how this can be accomplished? I REALLY would prefer to have a complete hostname address that I can have advertised as my delegate address so that anybody can find my corresponding data/story/contact anywhere.

I am sure I will get some reply with a link to something obvious that I missed.. but at this point that's a chance I am willing to risk to figure out what to do next to accomplish this.

Thanks so much!

Jonathan
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+