Author Topic: I'm Nervous, Please Reassure Me  (Read 13874 times)

Offline teenagecheese

• View Profile
You're right.

Its all open source: one can spin off a similar project or two.

Many would say it is as strong as the community behind it.

So, I guess, it boils down to what can I do for it.

I gave it my thousands of dollars and my thoughts and ideas as best I can. I am not in a life situation to work for bitshares, so that is all I can do.

Offline teenagecheese

• View Profile
Thank you for all the answers, I really appreciate the information...still a little concerned about marketing, but feeling better. I would really like better regularity on newsletters and updates. It's not just a greedy request for me, it would help investor confidence and reduce sell pressure. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is/was getting nervous.

Offline fundomatic

• View Profile
You're right.

Its all open source: one can spin off a similar project or two.

Many would say it is as strong as the community behind it.

So, I guess, it boils down to what can I do for it.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
On a related note, I am getting nervous. I am seriously questioning the management and organization of the bitshares team. Your idea was so great, but it really seems like you are failing to execute. You need better personnel, scheduling, and task management.

I can't really give you any reassurance because so far everything you have said is correct and they have proven to be incompetent at meeting a deadline or getting a product out in time.  We are now approximately 2-3 months behind where we were initially promised this summer, we were supposed to get a release and marketing in November, lol!  That was eventually revealed to be nothing but empty promises.

I believe that many of the paid delegates are very competent, and could get viral growth going in time, but they are all currently stymied by the lack of a viable product, which they have been waiting on the dev team for. 

The main problem is that rather than getting a good idea and then executing on it full force, they just come up with another idea, and another, and split time among all of these wonderful ideas, when what we really need first is a usable product.  Some of these ideas have even been harmful, such as whatever idea Bytemaster apparently had for making VOTE be able to murder Bitshares, which then resulted in a huge dilution and breaking the hearts of the whole chinese community, especially those who had bought DNS.  This essentially killed the one thing that was going well for bitshares, which was that it was catching on in China.  The chinese marketing team (which is actually competent!) has been working hard to overcome the bitshares team shitting all over their efforts, and looks to be building momentum again, (but only if we can ever get a stable product released, and dont destroy their efforts yet again by adding gambling to the client which they have said will make all their chinese business partners flee from it).

So you should probably sell all your shares and walk away, unless you want to continue to invest in this product of idealist dreamers who have the potential to create something amazing that will change the world, but probably will never succeed because they cannot focus on priorities and they keep shooting themselves in the foot.

Paid delegates are the hope of Bitshares, because if we can ever manage to get a stable client out, then some people who are actually good at promoting things can do their magic and promote it, and get some viral growth.  And as Bitshares grows, paid delegates will attract more and more capital and businesses to ally with it for delegate positions.

I just hope it doenst die first.

(Apologies to everyone who is working hard on Bitshares, with this depressing and critical post.  I have been feeling a lot like Teenagecheese, given that its February and I dont see a lite client or release version yet.  There ARE a lot of positive things going on and we should not minimize them.  Its also been several months now since the broken promises of november and we havent seen improvement in some areas.  One begins to get skeptical that the current promises might be broken as well).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 08:04:48 pm by Ander »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline matt608

• View Profile
Things appear to be going slower now only because we are delaying release while we focus on testing.   

Glad that approach is being taken. 
 +5%

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Please tell me I'm wrong about all this so I don't have to sell my bitshares and give up on what seem like such an amazing concept.

I haven't heard much about marketing recently, what is the new team doing? Did Adam stop doing his "quick updates form Adam?" I suspect he is no longer working for bitshares as much, or maybe not at all. Please tell me I am wrong

On a related note, I am getting nervous. I am seriously questioning the management and organization of the bitshares team. Your idea was so great, but it really seems like you are failing to execute. You need better personnel, scheduling, and task management. Stop letting this be so incredibly open source, it needs fine guidance right now. Make a list of all the things that need to be done, choose people, hire people, and then manage them and push them to get it done.And get ALL of them done, there are so many things that can be done in parallel right now, but only a few are. You developed a freakin' system that lets you get paid by the blockchain! That's incredeble, use it! Do not waste that funding advantage.

This is a battle against time, many are working to implement better/different solutions than you as fast as they can, yet here we are six months later and the wallet still barely works and we just got a website. And from what I hear the light wallet will only have minimal functionality upon release...only able to send/recieve, no market, and don't put too much money in it because it has some problems, not good. The opportunity is all but gone.

Things are being done. We're still in the best spot. I'll be glad when we have a proposal voting system. No one ever thought lightweight wallet does the market stuff. Thats half the point of it, a simplified user experience.

Everyone is working on other projects, but that doesn't mean they're working faster.

It is hard to market solutions that aren't usable outside of super nerds.  So we get better software and give it a whack.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline bytemaster

The team is very focused right now with one person dedicated to each of the following tasks:

1) Light Wallet (phone, desktop)
2) Web Wallet (hosted, browser based)
3) Full Wallet GUI (current wallet)
4) Testing
5) Integration & Release
6) Gateway
7) Partnerships and Tech Support for Exchanges

Our "New Feature List" is highly curtailed focusing only on:
1) Usability & Stability
2) Escrow
3) User Issued Asset Upgrades
4) Relative Orders & updated Market Engine

Things appear to be going slower now only because we are delaying release while we focus on testing.   
The light wallet will mature very rapidly now that the core infrastructure is in place.

Marketing is getting very organized and systematic. 

Our release process is getting refined with milestones and tasks and greater discipline on testing / integration / process.

Overall our team is maturing.

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline matt608

• View Profile
Afaik an affiliate suit is being is being created to provide affiliates with a set of tools to promote Bitshares.  It will be the first of its kind in the cryptospace.  Opportunities from local networking in Argentina are emerging.  We finally have a great website to promote.  I can't speak much about China but it sounds like things are happening there with dacx and more.  From my perspective things have reversed since I arrived in September.  Marketing is taking shape and I have confidence that we finally have a strong marketing team now.  Real marketing involves bringing the product to market rather than preaching to the choir here.  The success imo hinges on wallet usability.  The marketing is in good hands with Adam, rgcrypto, methodx's fund allocation, my progress in Argentina, bitscape and the Chinese side.  Plus we've finally got a biz-dev guy, Gentso1 and Rune's cryptohedge!  There's tons of stuff happening, it's just is all happening a few months later than we would have liked and wallet problems seem to have increased (hard to judge objectively as its working fine for some).

Offline teenagecheese

• View Profile
Wow that's great...seems a little too good to be true, but we'll see. I sure would like the U.S. team to be pushing as hard as the Chinese who seem to just do really good work. They have really achieved a lot. Having the bitCNY direct exchange is incredible. I guess maybe they have more motivation because of financial restrictions there?

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
China is the biggest market atm by far.

spoiler alert : BTS is gonna go viral in several months due to some major promotion effort in China , unless we do something to drag their feet . A crowd funding company already got millions of USD of VC to operate their operation on BTS . That's once in a life time opportunity for BTS .

As a matter of fact , all they want is no more surprises , a stable wallet and protocol ,  everything will work out eventually .

There are other opportunities (gambling) that need to be considered for another DAC perhaps imo and time is of the essence with our current developments but if China is happy I am happy.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 07:50:41 pm by Empirical1.2 »
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline teenagecheese

• View Profile
Please tell me I'm wrong about all this so I don't have to sell my bitshares and give up on what seem like such an amazing concept.

I haven't heard much about marketing recently, what is the new team doing? Did Adam stop doing his "quick updates form Adam?" I suspect he is no longer working for bitshares as much, or maybe not at all. Please tell me I am wrong

On a related note, I am getting nervous. I am seriously questioning the management and organization of the bitshares team. Your idea was so great, but it really seems like you are failing to execute. You need better personnel, scheduling, and task management. Stop letting this be so incredibly open source, it needs fine guidance right now. Make a list of all the things that need to be done, choose people, hire people, and then manage them and push them to get it done.And get ALL of them done, there are so many things that can be done in parallel right now, but only a few are. You developed a freakin' system that lets you get paid by the blockchain! That's incredeble, use it! Do not waste that funding advantage.

This is a battle against time, many are working to implement better/different solutions than you as fast as they can, yet here we are six months later and the wallet still barely works and we just got a website. And from what I hear the light wallet will only have minimal functionality upon release...only able to send/recieve, no market, and don't put too much money in it because it has some problems, not good. The opportunity is all but gone.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 07:38:04 pm by teenagecheese »