Author Topic: bitshares wiki?  (Read 5465 times)

Offline gamey

• View Profile

I'm just replying here because the Bitshares Wiki is at wiki.bitshares.org and we would like to see this have a higher spot.  Right now if you put Bitshares Wiki in that little text box everyone uses to find whats going on, it shows up on a squatter's spot.

I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline bytemaster

But if you don't mine and therefore don't need Big DAC Power, why exactly would you want to put your DAC's fate in the hands of the collective?

This really made it click for me.

There is ONE thing that having everything on a single chain does... it makes it possible to trade between everything with transactions that are not possible otherwise.   If I want to buy Bingo cards with BitUSD and they are two different DACs.... well that is much more difficult.   

So think of putting everyone on one chain as a way of enabling atomic and complex relationships BETWEEN DACs.   

The problem is that while you have improved the inter-dac network, the intra-dac network suffers tremendously.     

It would be like your company deciding to use hosted services located on the other-side of the world for day-to-day file hosting rather than having a local file server.   Yes... it makes your files accessible ANYWHERE, but it kills your day to day work experience.   

Always tradeoffs there are.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline vikram

But if you don't mine and therefore don't need Big DAC Power, why exactly would you want to put your DAC's fate in the hands of the collective?

This really made it click for me.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
http://wiki.invictus.io/en/FAQ

would be interesting to have a question:  "Why not Turing-Complete?"

There's nothing wrong with being Turing-complete.  Here's some raw material from an earlier post:

C++ is a Turing-complete language. 

In computability theory, a system of data-manipulation rules (such as a computer's instruction set, a programming language, or a cellular automaton) is said to be Turing complete or computationally universal if it can be used to simulate any single-taped Turing machine. The concept is named after Alan Turing. ...Thus, a Turing-complete system is one that can simulate a Turing machine; and, per the Church–Turing thesis, that any real-world computer can be simulated by a Turing machine, it is Turing equivalent to a Turing machine.

To show that something is Turing complete, it is enough to show that it can be used to simulate some Turing complete system. For example, an imperative language is Turing complete if it has conditional branching (e.g., "if" and "goto" statements, or a "branch if zero" instruction. See OISC) and the ability to change arbitrary memory locations (e.g., the ability to maintain an arbitrary number of variables). Since this is almost always the case, most if not all imperative languages are Turing complete if we ignore any limitations of finite memory. -- Wikipedia

Thus, the term "Turing Complete" is just saying that the functions on the block chain are programmable.

This would be important if you were trying to make "one chain to rule them all."

But with our approach, every application can have its own chain and therefore be light-weight, efficient, and independent of the problems of co-existing on the same chain with many different applications.

The only reason to pile lots of applications on one chain is if you are stuck on mining and are worried about having enough mining horsepower to resist attack.  Little DACs team up to collectively have Big DAC Power.

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline fuzzy

http://wiki.invictus.io/en/FAQ

would be interesting to have a question:  "Why not Turing-Complete?"
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline guaka

• View Profile
    • Kasper.re
Server is fast usually. It has 7GB RAM and 3 cores assigned. I could give it more if needed.

Database dumps are done nightly (CET), if you connect during that time it could be slower.

What time of the day and which time zone did you feel sluggishness?

Also, I think adding a logo will help a little bit. There's a 404 for that all the time. Tried to find something but couldn't quickly. Any suggestions?

Offline arcke

• View Profile
    • Diaspora
Today I've been in touch with several folks from Invictus and I'm amazed at the speed of action. I proposed to set up a wiki for Invictus and now we have http://wiki.invictus.io/ - very basic but it's there and I'm ready to add more. I hope you are too!

Gekko, I made the comment you mention invisible, thanks for pointing it out. I'm not sure who added it, the article was merged with at least one other article but it's not so important. And generally I do think it's important to strive for cooperation more than competition.

Good to see we have a wiki. It needs some work though and thats what wikis are for, but the server seems a bit slow.
OpenPGP: 0x22d7e9cc35375665
PTS - PawnbhoiXhmkrKJEPAsCiwkpP81nRXJGTD
Diaspora profile - https://pod.orkz.net/u/arcke

Offline guaka

• View Profile
    • Kasper.re
Today I've been in touch with several folks from Invictus and I'm amazed at the speed of action. I proposed to set up a wiki for Invictus and now we have http://wiki.invictus.io/ - very basic but it's there and I'm ready to add more. I hope you are too!

Gekko, I made the comment you mention invisible, thanks for pointing it out. I'm not sure who added it, the article was merged with at least one other article but it's not so important. And generally I do think it's important to strive for cooperation more than competition.

Offline Gekko

• Lunch is for wimps........ Greed is good.
    • View Profile
BTW:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Decentralized_Autonomous_Corporation
"BitShares, a competitor to Mastercoin (with much more limited feature set IMHO)"

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
great idea go for it
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline boshen1011

• Keyhotee ID:Bo
    • View Profile
I love the idea of DACs (or DA if you prefer). I've been quite active on the Mastercoin wiki and I like how it's working out there.

That doesn't mean I'm only interested in working on Mastercoin, I'd be happy to work on a BTS wiki as well. I contacted Invictus a while back but haven't heard back yet. So I just want to put it out here, I'd also be happy to help with a wiki around the BTS project. Just let me know when there's a desire to set up such a wiki and I'll be happy to jump in and help.

Thank for your kind offer, Bitshare WIKI is on our priority list. 

Impressive!     http://wiki.mastercoin.org/index.php/User:Guaka

Let us connect via skype. PMed you.  :)

« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 01:11:57 pm by boshen1011 »

Offline testz

I love the idea of DACs (or DA if you prefer). I've been quite active on the Mastercoin wiki and I like how it's working out there.

That doesn't mean I'm only interested in working on Mastercoin, I'd be happy to work on a BTS wiki as well. I contacted Invictus a while back but haven't heard back yet. So I just want to put it out here, I'd also be happy to help with a wiki around the BTS project. Just let me know when there's a desire to set up such a wiki and I'll be happy to jump in and help.

Very good idea. Let's wait bytemaster answer.

Offline guaka

• View Profile
    • Kasper.re