Author Topic: Bytemaster's Lecture Today at Duke University  (Read 8058 times)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
wow really great!

hehe Stan

Code: [Select]
Larimer, Stan. 2103. Bitcoin and the Three Laws of Robotics.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 10:22:43 pm by Stan »
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Can we have the presentation slides, too?

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

Offline ebit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: ebit
telegram:ebit521
https://weibo.com/ebiter

Offline sudo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: ags

Offline cusknee

• View Profile
  • BitShares: cusknee
I like the "walk off" line. More University lectures would be extremely beneficial.

Offline onceuponatime

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
That class sounds incredible!

I wonder if we will get some more bitshares delegates from this. ;)

That was Dan's walk-off line:  "Come join our forum, make yourself useful, and try to get hired!"

You should have seen the grins and murmurs from the students on that one!

That's good stuff! How many people can you tweet up for some votes, kids? By the way, if any of you are reading who were in the Duke class, then feel free to post here and we'll make sure you get some tips to start off your BitShares accounts.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

That was Dan's walk-off line:  "Come join our forum, make yourself useful, and try to get hired!"

You should have seen the grins and murmurs from the students on that one!
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Great! The academic links are invaluable.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
New law of robotics applied to bitshares blockchain that let you travel to the future stan?

Professor Harvey obviously knows something I don't know...  :)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
New law of robotics applied to bitshares blockchain that let you travel to the future stan?
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline roadscape

http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

I&E 550: Innovation and Cryptoventures

Today Bytemaster had the opportunity to present a two-hour lecture at the Duke University School of Business in Durham, North Carolina under invitation from Professor Campbell R. Harvey (the guy with the necktie).  The forty students taking this course are a mixture of computer science, business, and law majors who are interested in learning about starting entrepreneurial businesses in the crypto industry. The class is divided into eleven teams, each of which is required to develop a crypto business as part of their course objectives.

As you can probably imagine, Dan talked about Decentralized Autonomous Companies (DACs) and how to make them profitable.  Among the opportunities he discussed were:

1.  Cloning the BitShares block chain using the BitShares Toolkit to produce independent businesses like MUSIC and PLAY.
2.  Adding your own business logic like VOTE and DNS to BitShares itself to leverage it's delegates, community, currencies and network effect.
3.  Using BitShares User Issued Assets (UIA) to issue regulation compliant shares in a brick and mortar and flesh and blood company.
4.  What it takes to add your own Market Pegged Asset (MPA) to BitShares.
5.  The opportunity to create a business based on issuing one or more Prediction Market Assets (PMA).
6.  Becoming a BitShares Delegate and using that to bootstrap a startup business.
7.  Creating supporting business for third party add-ons, services, and products inside the emerging ecosystem.
8.  Crowd Funding vs. Crowd Hiring to bootstrap and sustain block chain based businesses.

Unfortunately there are no notes or slides to give you since Dan's lecture was given "off the cuff," but we did record it and hope to publish some or all of his best riffs before long.

For some reason I found Professor Harvey's course reading list particularly interesting, but you should check out all the other resource links on the course web site as well.

Readings

Andrychowicz, Marcin, Stefan Dziembowski, Daniel Malinowski, Łukasz Mazurek, 2013, Secure Multiparty Computations on Bitcoin.
Antonopoulos, Andreas, 2014. Mastering Bitcoin. [advanced]
Back, Adam, Matt Corallo, Luke Dashjr, Mark Friedenbach, Gregory Maxwell, Andrew Miller, Andrew Poelstra, Jorge Timón, and Pieter Wuille, 2014, Enabling Blockchain Innovations with Pegged Sidechains
Fortnow, Lance. 2013. The Golden Ticket. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
Goldwasser, Shaffi and Mihir Bellare, 2008, Lecture Notes on Cryptography. [Advanced]
Grinberg, Reuben. 2011, Bitcoin: An Innovative Alternative Digital Currency.
Harvey, Campbell R., 2014a, Cryptofinance.
Harvey, Campbell R., 2014b, Bitcoin Myths and Facts.
Hearn, Mike, 2014. The future of money.
Isaacson, Walter, 2014. The innovators: How a group of hackers, geniuses, and geeks created the digital revolution. [Amazon link]
King, Ritchie S., Sam Williams, David Yanofsky, 2013, By reading this article, you're mining bitcoins. Quartz. [Explains mining process and network architecture]
Larimer, Stan. 2103. Bitcoin and the Three Laws of Robotics.
Nakamoto, Satoshi, 2009. Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System.
Selgin, George. Synthetic Commodity Money.
Szabo, Nick. The idea of smart contracts
Szabo, Nick. Formalizing and Securing Relationships on Public Networks.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:42:10 pm by Stan »