Author Topic: What would a "smart contracts" based implementation of BitAssets suffer from?  (Read 2060 times)

Offline edilliam

Ethereum will have 12 second block times with PoW out of the box using something called GHOST which enables miners to mine uncle blocks (orphan blocks that still pay rewards).

We shouldn't expect bitassets on ethereum any time soon since a weakness in the schellingcoin system of getting price feeds was discovered. I'm thinking that CFS could could put our bonds on ethereum and add them to etherex, so they'll have fiat tracking instruments that are ultimately backed by bitshares at launch (but with counterparty risk from cryptohedge).

Rune could you show me where this was posted?  I'm interested in seeing it.  You seem to have a tab on what's happening in the ethereum space.

https://blog.ethereum.org/2014/10/03/slasher-ghost-developments-proof-stake/

Offline Bitcoinfan

• View Profile
Ethereum will have 12 second block times with PoW out of the box using something called GHOST which enables miners to mine uncle blocks (orphan blocks that still pay rewards).

We shouldn't expect bitassets on ethereum any time soon since a weakness in the schellingcoin system of getting price feeds was discovered. I'm thinking that CFS could could put our bonds on ethereum and add them to etherex, so they'll have fiat tracking instruments that are ultimately backed by bitshares at launch (but with counterparty risk from cryptohedge).

Rune could you show me where this was posted?  I'm interested in seeing it.  You seem to have a tab on what's happening in the ethereum space. 

Offline Rune

• View Profile

julian1

Ethereum flagged an intention to move to POS (late 2015) which would open the possibility for fast block times. I suspect hoisting the Bitshares market engine code into a contracts processing vm would be a challenge. Need to consider versioning of contract performance etc.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
how about any drawback of POW?
Does a market really track an asset well with transaction confirmations IN BETWEEN X and Y where X and Y are bigger than 1 minute?
Does a *secure* POW scheme with block confirmation time of less than 1 minute exist at all?
good point!

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
how about any drawback of POW?
Does a market really track an asset well with transaction confirmations IN BETWEEN X and Y where X and Y are bigger than 1 minute?
Does a *secure* POW scheme with block confirmation time of less than 1 minute exist at all?

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Counterparty and Ethereum would probably implement BitAssets via a turing complete environment. What would such an implementation suffer from?

I had a conversation with the Counterparty guys (rational folks) which brought up this question, see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=395761.msg10396898#msg10396898
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 05:40:54 pm by delulo »