Author Topic: Looking for Stuff to Do  (Read 3032 times)

Offline VoR0220

There is also the random shit in TASKFORCES which I'll be deleting soon.  The original reason it was created is for people who wanted to do random things like this.I thought I was going to find a home for the concept/content but it doesn't seem so.

Nullstreet is purely marketing, but the basic community needs a lot of minor things improved.  These are not marketing efforts.  The wiki falls in this category.

Great initiative, it's a shame it didn't work. Maybe we need a taskforce delegate, whose task is to find tasks doable by anybody, find people for doing the tasks, motivate them and tip them ? I spend so much time here without doing anything valuable for the system... well, I wrote an article in French and did some translation job, but I could probably be doing much more.

Seems like a job for the marketing delegates and the developers to organize the community. Just my personal opinion. Though inherently this whole operation is probably going to be a little, if not very, disorganized.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline inarizushi

• View Profile
There is also the random shit in TASKFORCES which I'll be deleting soon.  The original reason it was created is for people who wanted to do random things like this.I thought I was going to find a home for the concept/content but it doesn't seem so.

Nullstreet is purely marketing, but the basic community needs a lot of minor things improved.  These are not marketing efforts.  The wiki falls in this category.

Great initiative, it's a shame it didn't work. Maybe we need a taskforce delegate, whose task is to find tasks doable by anybody, find people for doing the tasks, motivate them and tip them ? I spend so much time here without doing anything valuable for the system... well, I wrote an article in French and did some translation job, but I could probably be doing much more.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline VoR0220

As for the documentation, I was wondering if I could actually go into the code and document the files, functions, classes, and structs.

Something along the lines of this kind of documentation standard:
/****************************************************************
   FUNCTION:   function prototype statement

ARGUMENTS:  a list of argument names and a short description

RETURNS:    what the function returns

NOTES:      a short paragraph stating what the function does
****************************************************************/

and this for files/structs/classes:

/****************************************************************
   FILE/STRUCT/CLASS:      file/struct/class name
   PURPOSE:   a short description of the resources found in the
              header file/object.
****************************************************************/

With the standard that if something in that function/file is changed that we add a !!! CHANGED to the documentation.

If this seems a bit...amateurish...let me know. I'm still in college and these are the documentation standards I'm held to and I'm beginning to see why.

Offline VoR0220

As a relative noob when it comes to the Bitshares code and the general climate of everything right now being so hectic, I was wondering if I could help out in another way. It would satisfy my desire to learn the code and I think it would help you guys out. I notice that you guys for all your grand technical know how, suck at documentation. Maybe I could help you document what everything does? Would I be able to do this in the code and the wiki? Or should I stick to one or the other? Let me know.

I like people like you! :-)

I am more on the marketing side so I always appreciate people like you who can code. (i believe it's a form of superpower )

Hopefully you find a spot you can both have fun and feel useful.

while I appreciate the sentiment, as somebody who got Cs in most of his computer science courses (mostly because of the testing that they do...which I think is fucking stupid), I believe it's just a matter of how much dry shit you are willing to sift through to find the things you are looking for and need to complete it. That and a knack for puzzles.

Offline VoR0220

I notice that you guys for all your grand technical know how, suck at documentation.

The problem is that since our ability to get paid depends on BTS price which has been dropping like a rock, we feel under immense pressure to spend all our efforts on things that will improve the user experience, and cut anything else -- including documentation.

Would I be able to do this in the code and the wiki?

My personal preference for documentation is version controlled Markdown files.  I would suggest you document stuff in the much neglected https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/tree/develop/docs and submit pull requests (please make pull requests against develop, not master).

I am working on a Python script which will enable easy writing of tests (one of the main problems I've been working on since I joined the project is that our current testing frameworks are deficient and our test coverage is spotty).  It should be ready for release sometime in the next week or so.  I'll be writing guides over the weekend about how to get involved in testing.

Unfortunately I know exactly what you mean about having difficulty as a newcomer, I had some of the same problems when I was a community member.

Oh I totally understand why you focus on it. Just that this stuff needs to be done if you want to encourage more developers on board :) as for the price of BTS...I'm feeling pretty bullish. May buy my first soon.

Offline rgcrypto

• View Profile
    • Cryptoctopus Blog
As a relative noob when it comes to the Bitshares code and the general climate of everything right now being so hectic, I was wondering if I could help out in another way. It would satisfy my desire to learn the code and I think it would help you guys out. I notice that you guys for all your grand technical know how, suck at documentation. Maybe I could help you document what everything does? Would I be able to do this in the code and the wiki? Or should I stick to one or the other? Let me know.

I like people like you! :-)

I am more on the marketing side so I always appreciate people like you who can code. (i believe it's a form of superpower )

Hopefully you find a spot you can both have fun and feel useful.

Offline theoretical

I notice that you guys for all your grand technical know how, suck at documentation.

The problem is that since our ability to get paid depends on BTS price which has been dropping like a rock, we feel under immense pressure to spend all our efforts on things that will improve the user experience, and cut anything else -- including documentation.

Would I be able to do this in the code and the wiki?

My personal preference for documentation is version controlled Markdown files.  I would suggest you document stuff in the much neglected https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/tree/develop/docs and submit pull requests (please make pull requests against develop, not master).

I am working on a Python script which will enable easy writing of tests (one of the main problems I've been working on since I joined the project is that our current testing frameworks are deficient and our test coverage is spotty).  It should be ready for release sometime in the next week or so.  I'll be writing guides over the weekend about how to get involved in testing.

Unfortunately I know exactly what you mean about having difficulty as a newcomer, I had some of the same problems when I was a community member.
BTS- theoretical / PTS- PZxpdC8RqWsdU3pVJeobZY7JFKVPfNpy5z / BTC- 1NfGejohzoVGffAD1CnCRgo9vApjCU2viY / the delegate formerly known as drltc / Nothing said on these forums is intended to be legally binding / All opinions are my own unless otherwise noted / Take action due to my posts at your own risk

TurkeyLeg

Accurate and well written technical documentation is very important and your offer is much appreciated!!

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains

I want to contribute to developing but it's a little intimidating right now not knowing any of the code so I figure this would be the best way to get on that path.

Your efforts are much appreciated  :)

+5%

Offline ubits

• View Profile

I want to contribute to developing but it's a little intimidating right now not knowing any of the code so I figure this would be the best way to get on that path.

Your efforts are much appreciated  :)

Offline VoR0220

Offline gamey

• View Profile

I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline fundomatic

• View Profile
Your help would be greatly appreciated.

http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/Requesting_Wiki_Write_Access

Requesting Wiki Write Access

Currently user "gamey" on bitsharestalk.org is the person to send a private message if you would like to contribute.

The reason this wiki is not public is because there is not enough manpower to prevent it from being defaced. We welcome anyone who wishes to give accurate info.

Offline VoR0220