Author Topic: Marketing delegates - a idea for you: bitcoin faucet containing bitshares ads  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
I feel that most people why try faucets give up on them pretty fast after realizing they are making like 2 cents an hour for the very boring work of clicking things. 

Also, people set up bots like amazon mechanical turk in order to beat the captchas and autocollect from lots of faucets, so mostly what you end up with is a bunch of bots draining your faucet and no one actually looking at any ads.  The time that I tried faucets out, I can assure you that I did not care about a single advertisement, and the couple times I clicked them it was accidental.  Youre just going to get some misclicks on your ad that cost you money, and then the person immediately closes the page.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline fuzzy

This sounds like a stupid idea at first glance (why not build a bitshares faucet, right?) but there is method here. Building a bitcoin faucet is trivial (there are ready made solutions, just install and go) and once you list it on the many, many aggregator sites you immediately (and I mean immediately - I have first hand experience) get upwards of 1000 hits / day for as long as it remains active.

These faucets are usually plastered with gaudy advertising to try and claw their investment back, but there is opportunity here to subsidise the cost with a delegate and advertise only bitshares.

Just my p2.

That doesn't sound stupid at all.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
The type of person willing to get BTC from a faucet is not the type of person who will bring any significant value to our ecosystem. Would you bend over for $0.25?

or, they are the big guys, because they are trying to save as much as they can. It is better spended money then a banner ad on CMC.

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
The type of person willing to get BTC from a faucet is not the type of person who will bring any significant value to our ecosystem. Would you bend over for $0.25?

+5%

We want the high-rollers and whales.
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline monsterer

The majority of the traffic is indeed low quality. On the other hand, they are all cryptocurrency users, and you get a lot of them.
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx

Offline monsterer

How much is it likely to cost in terms of btc given away?  Is it easy to get listed on the aggregator sites?  We could put a  bitshares 101 popup on it, the one made by rgcrypto: https://my.leadpages.net/leadbox/1411c3173f72a2%3A16c8d6713b46dc/5734055144325120/

In my experience its very easy to get listed - especially if you use microwallet.org.

Cost wise, it totally depends on how much you give out to each user -  might be looking at around 2 BTC / month, maybe?

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
We don't want the kind of people who go to faucet sites. They bring minimal value to our ecosystem, and may even drag/leech us.

Offline matt608

• View Profile
How much is it likely to cost in terms of btc given away?  Is it easy to get listed on the aggregator sites?  We could put a  bitshares 101 popup on it, the one made by rgcrypto: https://my.leadpages.net/leadbox/1411c3173f72a2%3A16c8d6713b46dc/5734055144325120/

Offline Rune

• View Profile
Sounds like a plan, i kinda like these simple marketing solutions.
Before a delegate would be selected we could give it a test run, to see the results.
I'd be willing to put a bit of BTC in the faucet, for this experiment.

Don't we already have a few marketing delegates elected?
Even better.

Question though:
The point of this would be to attract new users to BTS.
Is there a way to calculate the value of a new user, and thus a way to calculate if this is profitable for BTS?

This isn't really possible because each user brings wildly different value. Getting one guy to deposit 1 million is as good as getting a million guys to deposit one.

Offline graffenwalder

Before a delegate would be selected we could give it a test run, to see the results.

Even better.

Question though:
The point of this would be to attract new users to BTS.
Is there a way to calculate the value of a new user, and thus a way to calculate if this is profitable for BTS?

Offline monsterer

Offline graffenwalder

Offline monsterer

This sounds like a stupid idea at first glance (why not build a bitshares faucet, right?) but there is method here. Building a bitcoin faucet is trivial (there are ready made solutions, just install and go) and once you list it on the many, many aggregator sites you immediately (and I mean immediately - I have first hand experience) get upwards of 1000 hits / day for as long as it remains active.

These faucets are usually plastered with gaudy advertising to try and claw their investment back, but there is opportunity here to subsidise the cost with a delegate and advertise only bitshares.

Just my p2.