Author Topic: How do we pay core developers competitively going forward?  (Read 7783 times)

Offline bitsapphire

Real and successful companies don't issue stock at first, they try to take on debt instead. Issuing stock while the market cap is this low is damaging to Bitshares. One way to do debt financing is through a similar setup to what we're proposing with our wallet.

I hope the community starts to understand the need for debt financing before the market cap drops even more. That would be a terrible pitty.
Register and get your personal Moonstone Wallet Beta here: https://moonstone.io/login-register.html

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
I am working to keep the team together, motivated, and compensated without additional delegate positions.    The developers fully realize that multiple paid positions would be counter-productive at increasing their take-home pay.   

+5%
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline bytemaster

I am working to keep the team together, motivated, and compensated without additional delegate positions.    The developers fully realize that multiple paid positions would be counter-productive at increasing their take-home pay.     
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

How do we provide our current core developers with a competitive salary & some future certainty going forward?

Dramatically increase the market cap.
Maybe encourage escrow trading somehow for delegates.
Every escrow deal made, would help slow down selling pressure a bit.

ok so you mean delegates should maintain escrow and getting fee from each !?
I'm personally thinking i'll get legal problems in europe with … but have to check it with my lawyer…
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline graffenwalder

How do we provide our current core developers with a competitive salary & some future certainty going forward?

Maybe encourage escrow trading somehow for delegates.
Every escrow deal made, would help slow down selling pressure a bit.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

they will be payed higher than almost every other developer once the market cap gets bigger.

Provided they can survive with their pittance salary until it happens.  They are developers, not business investors nor sales/marketing folks.

IMO  that's the problem in many cases!

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube

they will be payed higher than almost every other developer once the market cap gets bigger.

Very much so. Provided they can survive with their pittance salary until it happens.  They are developers, not business investors nor sales/marketing folks.

i'm working full time for BitShares.. but due the current price situation i'm considerung ( cause 2nd delegate isn't a option) do switch more into my own projects!

A direct consequence that is very much anticipated.  You have to do what you have to do.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 03:11:46 pm by cube »
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
i'm working full time for BitShares.. but due the current price situation i'm considerung ( cause 2nd delegate isn't a option) do switch more into my own projects!
Thank you for creating this post, guess this one of the most important questions right now!

The way we are doing it now... with equity that they earn through their delegate positions.  If they do a good job and grow the ecosystem they will be payed higher than almost every other developer once the market cap gets bigger.  I would like to know if all the dev's are working full time or if this is a part time gig for them... judging by the github milestones, hardly any progress has been made in the last week.

yes sure ... but for now i've lost mit then 50% of my salaires due to price fall ...
And i want to avoid this in future!

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
The way we are doing it now... with equity that they earn through their delegate positions.  If they do a good job and grow the ecosystem they will be payed higher than almost every other developer once the market cap gets bigger.  I would like to know if all the dev's are working full time or if this is a part time gig for them... judging by the github milestones, hardly any progress has been made in the last week.

Agreed, I've been watching those milestones like a hawk and it seems lately only more issues get added instead of closed, and 0.9.0 has already been pushed back like a month and a half into early March...which probably means May.

Not looking good. We need a high market cap to secure top talent, but we need top talent to produce something tangible to get the high market cap. Where the hell's the light wallet anyway?

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
We have a group of extremely talented & loyal developers already working on BitShares. We need those guys to continue doing their amazing work. They're not politicians and getting 4/5 multiple delegate seats is hard and would not be popular right now.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 02:56:02 pm by Empirical1.2 »
If you want to take the island burn the boats