Author Topic: The one most likely demographic to adopt the Bitshares decentralized exchange  (Read 2706 times)

Offline yellowecho

If you're currently long BTS then you should create BitAssets buy going long and short. That is to say if you  create a short 2/3 of your BTS and buy the BitAsset you have shorted into existence with the remaining 1/3 of your BTS. In this way you maintain your long position but can also use the BitAssets you've created to trade amongst others in the Bitshares community that have done the same thing. If we get more people to do this BitAsset market caps go up and BitAsset to BitAsset volume goes up and people that enter our exchange with just BitUSD or BitBTC can actually trade on our platform without ever thinking about BTS price.

+5%  8)
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline bitAndy

• View Profile
Are there any delegates with plans to publish price feeds for altcoins on the bitshares exchange?

clout

If you're currently long BTS then you should create BitAssets buy going long and short. That is to say if you  create a short 2/3 of your BTS and buy the BitAsset you have shorted into existence with the remaining 1/3 of your BTS. In this way you maintain your long position but can also use the BitAssets you've created to trade amongst others in the Bitshares community that have done the same thing. If we get more people to do this BitAsset market caps go up and BitAsset to BitAsset volume goes up and people that enter our exchange with just BitUSD or BitBTC can actually trade on our platform without ever thinking about BTS price.

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
we need a gui expert delegate..

for example one reason it maybe slow is the use of angular watches of every variable.. when data is updated does it replace entire scope (updating even variables that havent changed?) or does it only update the one value that changed... something I learned early on when testing angular performance.. it checks equality based on the location in memory of the scope variables
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Bad news is there are a lot of small things hindering adoption. Good news is they are all small things, and although they take some time and hard work to figure out, there is nothing deep preventing us from fixing it.

1. Liquidity is too low.
2. Wallet it too slow.
3. GUI still feels beta.
4. Difficult-to-Understand Exchange.
5. Security is a hassle.

Light and web wallet will fix 1. Add time to that and we hopefully fix 2 as well. Resources spent on 3 will always be worth it (will add millions of dollars to our market cap next hype), but are perhaps better spent on the light and web wallet (I am guessing people who download the client will only use it for storing cash, and perhaps interface should reflect that?). For 4 I feel we should make it as close to normal exchanges as possible; we know people are used to it, and we know it works. Finally, for 5 we need to make security stupidly simple; typing in a million string password that holds too much value is too risky; people are afraid to even claim their funds.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 04:44:22 pm by CLains »

Offline Volker

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Volker
I'll be happy to start buying bitSILVER and bitGOLD and doing other trades when I have more money to invest. 2014 was not good for my crypto-portfolio. I think we'll see more bitshares users using the platform when we have more money and need to diversify (i.e. not now).

Offline mdj

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mdj
The user experience is quite bad, IMO. Even if the 0.6.1 wallet is way better, there are many annoying things. If your short is fractioned in 10 different transactions, you'll have to cover each of them manually, paying a fee for each. When one asks for a price by clicking on it, a slightly higher price is selected. You ask for 1000, you get 999.999. On my Mac, scrolling down is very buggy. Clicking on a button doesn't exactly feel like it should feel, for example the "confirming" action after putting an order should be a pop-up like thing rather than appearing where it does (and it can be easily missed). Graphs are erratic.

We need to have some user experience expert asking traders what they would need to really use the exchange.

+5%

Id suggest giving some feedback on the 0.6.1 thread to ensure the developers pick it up.
When we have a smooth stable client, traders will begin to flock

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile
The user experience is quite bad, IMO. Even if the 0.6.1 wallet is way better, there are many annoying things. If your short is fractioned in 10 different transactions, you'll have to cover each of them manually, paying a fee for each. When one asks for a price by clicking on it, a slightly higher price is selected. You ask for 1000, you get 999.999. On my Mac, scrolling down is very buggy. Clicking on a button doesn't exactly feel like it should feel, for example the "confirming" action after putting an order should be a pop-up like thing rather than appearing where it does (and it can be easily missed). Graphs are erratic.

We need to have some user experience expert asking traders what they would need to really use the exchange.
  +5%

Offline LRENZ

• View Profile
  • BitShares: enz
- Wallet not stable enough (for old computers).

This is the biggest problem without a doubt and It seems like its overlooked too often on this forum. People are thinking too far ahead and getting distracted instead of concentrating on the basics

Bitshares is just simply not usable right now because the vast majority of people on the planet use old computers. Its so frustrating because the concept and philosophy is amazing for sure but progress on the basics appears so slow and competitors may beat us to mass market. Light wallet I guess is still going to take months to perfect and until then the marketers effectively have nothing solid to promote, so the market cap won't grow quick enough to get all the other ideas off the ground.

Its still very early days I know, I remain optimistic but its painful for me to observe as an outside investor without having coding skills to help. I think I need to stop browsing this site haha
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 03:44:10 am by LRENZ »
Revolution is inevitable.

Offline onceuponatime

I agree about how annoying this can be.

Offline inarizushi

• View Profile

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

I think it's the lack of on and off ramps that seems to be the pressing point. It was only a few weeks ago that we even just got Shapeshift in place and that is only a beginning.

I maybe wrong on this point.. but thats what it seems like to me. Besides this point though.. the development of everything is so recent.. I don't think people have caught up to it yet in terms of seeing what can be done. As you see more practical applications like Cryptoheadge pop up to make people aware of what is possible then people might get an 'ah ha' moment and realize they can do it themselves. :)

Just got to give people some time I guess..people don't change their ways as easily as a version update. :)
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
... is the Bitshares community.

I think that our community members don't trade less than other crypto communities. We mostly do it on centralized exchanges and yet we try to convince Bitcoiners to use our exchange :)

Why do we mostly use centralized exchanges?
- Little liquidity on the DEX for BitBTC.
- Wallet not stable enough (for old computers).
- Other reasons?

How can we change this (practical / entrepreneurial efforts like Rune's and monsterer's)?

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 06:53:58 pm by delulo »