Author Topic: Help get back to registered accounts  (Read 1779 times)

Offline vikram

Thanks.
I installed 0.5.3 and it accepted the import and the password so I do, in fact, have a viable backup and the correct password.
The newly installed 0.5.3 refused to connect so I can't go for the simple workaround of updating. Stuck again. >:(

Which menu did you use when you previously got the "invalid password" error? Were you using the "File -> Import Wallet" menu or were you on the "Keys" page and trying to import wallet keys? Does importing the old backup file still fail every time if you upgrade your current wallet to 0.6.1 and try again?

Also, do you know what BTS version the original backup file was created with?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:43:26 pm by vikram »

Offline vikram

You should just be able to upgrade 0.5.3 to 0.6.1 without deleting your existing wallet.

I will look into the password issue.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Thanks.
I installed 0.5.3 and it accepted the import and the password so I do, in fact, have a viable backup and the correct password.
The newly installed 0.5.3 refused to connect so I can't go for the simple workaround of updating. Stuck again. >:(
0.5.3 is supposed to get stuck eventually as it has the old blockchain protocol installed ...

you could make a NEW backup and try to import that one ..
or you hand over the private keys in plain which I wouldn't recommend but am willing to tell how to do if you really require access to your account/funds just now

Offline aragoon

• View Profile
Thanks.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
hmm .. you are the second I encountered having that particular issue:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=14330.msg186684#msg186684

gonna send a bugreport to the devs ..

in the meantime .. you can install an older version and verify that your backup + password is working!
Rest assured that this particular issue can be fixed ..

Offline aragoon

• View Profile
Maybe it's my age or I lost focus but I've ended up with 2 registered accounts that I have used and had no problems with and which I cannot access.. I did have problems with the wallet not syncing so I installed a new wallet on a separate PC and imported my original accounts to it after I got it to sync. I then sent all my BTS to an exchange so my BTS accounts now have no value stored in them. In a frenzy of cleanups and knowing I had a wallet backup, I deleted all my BTS wallets. I had kept all passwords for the wallets.
I downloaded a new wallet today, installed it and tried to import my accounts. It recognised my backup as valid but would not accept any of the passwords.
I now have 2 registered account names, 3 passwords for the 3 wallets I previously used and a wallet backup file. The weak link appears to be the backup file because I kept all the passwords and certainly made no changes to them. The backup should be OK and must be for one of the 3 wallets.
I like the names I registered and want to keep them but I can't get at them.
As there is no value attached to them, I will not lose any funds if I cannot get back to them. No coins to lose.
Can anyone suggest some way to rescue the names, accounts?