Author Topic: Safest and EASIEST place to currently store my BTSX?  (Read 2397 times)

Offline hpenvy2

• View Profile
The new Light Wallet is a good way to STORE your funds but won't give you access to the exchange yet.

Light Wallet is for Macs only at the moment though, just to be clear.

+5%

Offline merivercap

• View Profile
    • BitCash
Will the light wallet have 2FA?  I always feel more secure holding digital money with 2FA compared to doing online banking at a traditional bank. 
BitCash - http://www.bitcash.org 
Beta: bitCash Wallet / p2p Gateway: (https://m.bitcash.org)
Beta: bitCash Trade (https://trade.bitcash.org)

Offline LRENZ

• View Profile
  • BitShares: enz
The new Light Wallet is a good way to STORE your funds but won't give you access to the exchange yet.

Light Wallet is for Macs only at the moment though, just to be clear. I'm in same situation as OP and desperate for the Windows version if BTER returns my BTS.
Revolution is inevitable.

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline kokojie

• View Profile
install virtualbox, create a clean vm with windows/linux installation, then run the client and keep your wallet in the vm.

Also back it up somewhere offsite, with a USB drive or something.

As long as you exercise good judgement and not install questionable softwares, you should be fine. A private person's computer is way harder to hack than an exchange, because due to the nature of running an website, it must have open ports, hosted with a 3rd party and publish it's IP address to the world.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 01:37:35 am by kokojie »

Tuck Fheman

if/when the exchange comes back online.

here's the more likely result (insert BTer employee) ...

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Create wallets on different computers (with different passwords) and send some portion of your holdings to each of them. If you don't want to download and install a wallet, transfer some of your BTS to other, reputable exchanges and have different passwords (written from different computers), so you don't have everything in one place.

I am curious about multi-sig though, maybe someone can chime in - is it a way to decentralize trust? Can I create, just from having multiple public keys, a new secure lock that can only be opened by the private keys of those public keys?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:49:46 pm by CLains »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

TurkeyLeg

Well, it is BTS these days and not BTSX. Also, BTER is down right now so you can't do much of anything until they sort themselves out - although it appears that BTS balances were not stolen so you may be OK if/when the exchange comes back online.

If you're looking for easy - you could just send your BTS balance on BTER to your BTS wallet (desktop client) then export it to a JSON file and move it to a flash drive. Then store the flash drive somewhere safe and don't forget your login password for the BTS desktop client.

There are probably some other/better alternatives but that is the easy route.

Offline Frodo03

• View Profile
I currently have a small amount of btsx on BTER, and I'd like to move it somewhere a bit safer. What is an easy way for me to store my btsx in a safe place? I'm not very good when it comes to technical stuff, so I would prefer to do something that is safe yet not very complicated to achieve.

Thanks.