Author Topic: DNS and CJDNS and meshnet  (Read 2539 times)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
We have a name coin dev campaigning to get delegate slots and work on .p2p

What is his delegate name??

guess he doesn't create one yet!

https://bitsharesblocks.com/accounts?query=indolering

just found these accounts..
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline .yoshi

• View Profile

What is his delegate name??

Offline vikram

Zach's website: http://www.indolering.com/

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline crypto4ever

• View Profile
DNS is something that can create greater awareness of Bitshares when launched.  Not only would people want to use the product, they would want to invest in BTS too..  I'm talking about non-crypto users, with their first "taste" of crypto is the decentralized DNS product as their first introduction.

It's a chicken and egg scenario. Perhaps its better to create both the chicken and the egg at the same time.

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/contact-verification-2013-05-03-en

If you KYC on all domains, you also know who to shutdown and enforce much easier for future legislation that I can bet you'll see sooner rather than later on the horizon.  That SOPA and PIPA stuff is by no means over.  Now that crypto is here, more of that junk is on the way.

The reason why I mentioned CJDNS is it's already made. How hard could it be to adopt it in the short term?  A day or two worth of work with 2 or 3 guys and you're done?

Disclaimer: I don't believe in illegal activities. I just believe in free and open communication, innovation, and sharing of ideas, and privacy for legitimate reasons.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 06:41:52 am by crypto4ever »

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
We need something stable we can sell first. Then new users will increase the market cap price and there will be money for DNS development, etc.

Offline klosure

• View Profile
Agreed.  This is why I suggested 10% towards DNS, and 90% towards what you just said.
If we had to allocate 10% or even a few percents of the resources to every non-priority item we would have no resources left to work on the MVP. I don't think DNS is a priority. There won't be a Bitshares DNS at all if Bitshares fails to make the ends meet. I also don't have the feeling that the current DNS architecture is currently being abused to the extent where it threatens free speech. Sure there are many abusive cases of domain seizure by DHS but that remains anecdotic and it can be worked around easily.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
We agree DNS is important and it is integral to our current design.

But it doesn't double the value of our shares immediately like getting a ready-for-prime-time minimum viable product that the marketeers can market.

Sure would be great if we could move everything to the front burner.  All it takes is cash.  So increasing the value of delegate pay streams must be priority number one.

Agreed.  This is why I suggested 10% towards DNS, and 90% towards what you just said.

Even if there was a golden hour once a week, just for DNS, and the remaining part of the week was "what you just said", I'd be happy.  Every Wednesday between 8am-9am is DNS dev hour.  Then put it all away and forget about it until the next Wednesday [for example]

I'm glad DNS is a priority, but I agree that smoothing out the decentralized exchange features are higher priority. 

yup agreed!
but Meshnet project looks interesting! IMO it would be great to get access to the internet without central authorities .
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile

But it doesn't double the value of our shares immediately like getting a ready-for-prime-time minimum viable product that the marketeers can market.

Sure would be great if we could move everything to the front burner.  All it takes is cash.  So increasing the value of delegate pay streams must be priority number one.

Even if there was a golden hour once a week, just for DNS, and the remaining part of the week was "what you just said", I'd be happy.  Every Wednesday between 8am-9am is DNS dev hour.  Then put it all away and forget about it until the next Wednesday [for example]

I'm glad DNS is a priority, but I agree that smoothing out the decentralized exchange features are higher priority.  It's also important to respect the devs' work styles regarding context switches: an hour a week may be much less efficient than waiting until it can be pursued for full weeks.

Offline crypto4ever

• View Profile

P.S. In that one hour, if we could investigate CJDNS and see if there is any way we could piggy back on that without doing any major dev work, that would give us a stepping stone until our own implementation was funded.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 02:58:14 am by crypto4ever »

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline crypto4ever

• View Profile
Since namecoin and .p2p are still vaporware at this point..

(I bought BTS because of toast and DNS initially.  That was why I'm here)

I came across cjdns talked about on http://projectmeshnet.org/

Project Meshnet is a great idea if we can just get some Chinese manufacturers to start selling wifi devices (on eBay for under $50) or wherever that can act as dedicated wifi meshnet hotspots with a build-in 4 port lan switch.   Everyone would plug these in and do software upgrades to expand the meshnet easily in the air, and in their home or office.

But that brings me to DNS

The killer app of this decade is going to be decentralized DNS.   Without it, everything else that depends on free speech on the internet is at stake.

You can always find a way to to do almost anything (buy, sell, play, vote, trade, fund raise, etc)

But the one thing you can't do is have a decentralized DNS.  I think this is something that shouldn't be on the back burner of the stove. It should be pursued until the wheels fall off.

Even if cjdns or any alternative DNS solution isn't easy to install or get adopted, what you could do is have simple CGI scripts or Wordpress plugin that any webmaster can install, almost like a looking glass tool that can be used to dynamically root any domain to a specific IP for that hour (assuming IP records could expire hourly).

Remember the SOPA and PIPA protests? Over 115,000 websites went dark Jan 18, 2012

That potentially could be 115,000 "looking glass" sites to decentralized DNS too.

I can't believe I don't hear more about DNS or at least joining some dev forces with CJDNS or other implementations.

I would also like to see Decentralized DNS have it's own forum on the main forum page, and for it to stay there until DNS is operational.  It is not something we should stop for now, and finish later.  It needs to be an ongoing project with even 10% of resources dedicated to it each week.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 03:01:09 am by crypto4ever »