Author Topic: To Scale Up Fast, Sometimes You’ve Got to Slow Down:Waze Shows The Way  (Read 1933 times)

Offline fuzzy

There's a lot of wisdom in the OP, I sure hope BM & the devs think long and hard about that.

It's also important for the BitShares shareholders to reflect on this when it comes to delegate voting. There have been a significant number of new delegates "running for office" recently, several of whom are quite new to the community. None that I've heard are lacking in the vision & passion department, but we need to ask ourselves, where is our focus? Is it on growth or making our product the best it can be?

We all have individual talents & skills to offer, and that's frankly great and truly awesome to see. Which marketing delegates should the shareholders vote into place? Should there be a higher priority given to gateway / light wallet dev teams? Those are all up to the shareholders and the blockchain to decide.

Regarding the OP, the BitShares user experience will be shaped primarily by the core devs & BM's leadership; they're the ones making decisions that the rest of us have to work with.

That is always what I personally advise people to do.   Bring the ideas and oassion...and show you are willing to work without pay at first. 
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

There's a lot of wisdom in the OP, I sure hope BM & the devs think long and hard about that.

It's also important for the BitShares shareholders to reflect on this when it comes to delegate voting. There have been a significant number of new delegates "running for office" recently, several of whom are quite new to the community. None that I've heard are lacking in the vision & passion department, but we need to ask ourselves, where is our focus? Is it on growth or making our product the best it can be?

We all have individual talents & skills to offer, and that's frankly great and truly awesome to see. Which marketing delegates should the shareholders vote into place? Should there be a higher priority given to gateway / light wallet dev teams? Those are all up to the shareholders and the blockchain to decide.

Regarding the OP, the BitShares user experience will be shaped primarily by the core devs & BM's leadership; they're the ones making decisions that the rest of us have to work with.

I think they are working along not to dissimilar lines. It's just the pace at which it is happening that is driving everyone nuts I think. Since last summer there has been clear improvements and strides forward.

You don't build a 100 story skyscraper without first digging deep and building strong foundations. Once those foundations are done though, man that building goes up FAST.

I would say that a lot of that foundation work is now wrapping up... I don't really rely on the core developers for building the rest of the skyscrapper though. The core product, the foundations, wer really designed for programmers.. the pretty stuff designed and marketed to certain industries that marketers can run with and sell should be made by 3rd parties.. not unlike what you see in the bitcoin space.

Good link OP!  +5%
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Thom

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline fuzzy

Dude.  Not helpful.  Can't you just imagine the short term future where the Bitshares wallet will run on mainly delegate-controlled machines and thin client wallets will work instantly with crude resources?  Why you bitching!

Congratulations.  You've just been Tony'd!

I assure you he agrees.  He's just being his normal smart asset self.  He will grow on you much like Beyonce would.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 03:23:02 am by fuzzy »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Rafikichi

• View Profile
Dude.  Not helpful.  Can't you just imagine the short term future where the Bitshares wallet will run on mainly delegate-controlled machines and thin client wallets will work instantly with crude resources?  Why you bitching!

zerosum

This is very relevant to BitShares: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/waze-shows-wayto-scale-up-fast-sometimes-youve-got-slow-bob-sutton

Consider what Waze CEO Noam Bardin did in 2010. This navigation software firm had just received $25 million in funding. Investors were pressuring him to hire new employees, add features, and expand to new markets. But Bardin (pictured above) was concerned because Waze was losing new U.S. customers at a rapid rate and he wasn’t sure why (only 8% of users who started using Waze still did so 90 days later). So he implemented a hiring freeze and asked every employee to help figure out why their product was driving new users away. After six weeks of analysis, employees turned to removing the customer pain points they identified. They released a new iteration of Waze about once a month for six months. As Bardin wrote in an inspired post on LinkedIn last month:

“We created a list of the issues getting in our way; this included big things (the map wasn’t good enough in a region or our response time from our routing servers was too slow) to small things (confusion arose when audio prompts said “keep right” instead of “exit right” in the US to get off a highway.) By clearly defining and knowing what our MIT [“Most Important Thing”] was at that point (retention vs. acquisition), we decided not to hire any more people until we could implement our plan since new people hurt output in the short term, and focus our time and effort on the right things. Six months later we hit 30% 90-day driver retention and it continued to grow from there. Once we knew we were on the right track, we could re-evaluate out MIT and look at our next one.”

These improvements propelled customer retention and acquisition. Waze now has over 50 million users and was acquired by Google for over a billion dollars in 2013.

I do not see how this applies to Bitshares? Our software is the bestest! No one is have any problems with it.
 ...and those that do... are running  it on some damned old machines with less than 16 GB of RAM, no SSD or got forbid on non-supported, non-Apple hardware. Fools in other words....

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
This is very relevant to BitShares: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/waze-shows-wayto-scale-up-fast-sometimes-youve-got-slow-bob-sutton

Consider what Waze CEO Noam Bardin did in 2010. This navigation software firm had just received $25 million in funding. Investors were pressuring him to hire new employees, add features, and expand to new markets. But Bardin (pictured above) was concerned because Waze was losing new U.S. customers at a rapid rate and he wasn’t sure why (only 8% of users who started using Waze still did so 90 days later). So he implemented a hiring freeze and asked every employee to help figure out why their product was driving new users away. After six weeks of analysis, employees turned to removing the customer pain points they identified. They released a new iteration of Waze about once a month for six months. As Bardin wrote in an inspired post on LinkedIn last month:

“We created a list of the issues getting in our way; this included big things (the map wasn’t good enough in a region or our response time from our routing servers was too slow) to small things (confusion arose when audio prompts said “keep right” instead of “exit right” in the US to get off a highway.) By clearly defining and knowing what our MIT [“Most Important Thing”] was at that point (retention vs. acquisition), we decided not to hire any more people until we could implement our plan since new people hurt output in the short term, and focus our time and effort on the right things. Six months later we hit 30% 90-day driver retention and it continued to grow from there. Once we knew we were on the right track, we could re-evaluate out MIT and look at our next one.”

These improvements propelled customer retention and acquisition. Waze now has over 50 million users and was acquired by Google for over a billion dollars in 2013.
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe