Author Topic: Volunteerss with tech skills urgently needed to help Newbies  (Read 4337 times)

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile
Thanks aloha! =]

There are some tutorial videos here: Video Tutorials of using BitShares wallets

We could add a link from Getting Started to help out the newbies.

I haven't watched them though.
Cass is our designer delegate which is dealing with bitshares.org. I am sure he will be very happy to discuss with you any ideas that you have.

Offline dsont

• View Profile
Thanks aloha! =]

There are some tutorial videos here: Video Tutorials of using BitShares wallets

We could add a link from Getting Started to help out the newbies.

I haven't watched them though.

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile
I'll help out.

Also I'm new to bitshares myself, I have fresh eyes.

I also am a developer/designer, so I can give thoughts on how to smooth the process.
Welcome to the  community dsont  :) Your help will be much appreciated and we will hopefully learn from each others.

Offline dsont

• View Profile
I'll help out.

Also I'm new to bitshares myself, I have fresh eyes.

I also am a developer/designer, so I can give thoughts on how to smooth the process.

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

maybe setting up a delegate to give support via skype. this delegate would be always or most part of the time, available to help people with technical stuff. could even make skype sessions. people could apply on a thread and the delegate would schedule each session. kinda like a call center but since the delegate probably won't have multiple people working for him (at least for now), instead of people calling up via skype, he could schedule each session. basically his job would be constantly helping people out on the Technical forum section and doing those sessions on skype.

This is the wrong approach. The reason we feel the need for something like this so badly is because the client needs to be more usable. I'd much rather put time and money into usability than customer support.

We need to strike at the roots, not hack at the leaves.

Sure the client can use some work.. but I don't know of a single application in the world that doesn't require support/help of some kind. Look at Microsoft.. how long has that been polished and developed.. still got people answering phones.

When I saw this posting before the delegate thing was brought up I was actually thinking the same thing.

I have some contract workers that would be well suited with this. They are more TeamViewer users than Skype though. Humm.. will see if I can create some synergy here.. if there is anybody else willing to work on this effort feel free to contact me. I think it is worthy.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile
In this case I believe fluxer555 is exactly correct. However, why such a dualistic perspective, why can't it be both?

With all the money in the world, with a mature product that's possible, but until then focus on the root problem and put scarce resources to use on what will have the greatest effect. You help a few customers 1 by 1 and it helps, but if you resolve the underlying problems for all users you solve the issue for all. i.e. dealing with the root cause is the better, wiser place to spend scarce resources. The community should voluntarily handle the noobs and tech support load and let the devs fix the usability issues. I'm not opposed to allocating delegate resources to address tech support, but in due time.

I kindof see this as representative of pushing the problem off onto someone else to handle. Take responsibility for yourself and donate some of your time to help the noobs with tech support or questions. You don't need to be an expert, just share what you DO know. There's no shame in using the sentence "I don't know". Most of us have all gone thru the experience of installing a wallet, finding a way to buy BTS and getting it transferred into the wallet. Simply help newbies out by sharing your own experience in doing that, which doesn't require being deeply technical.

Remember back when you got started and try to supply some help and assurance in the same way you wanted it back then. Just help get new folks past the initial hump. If we all spent 15 minutes doing this we wouldn't need to divert critical resources away from hacking at the root of the problem.

As for answering deeper tech questions that's a bit tougher. Do what you can as Delulo says, and simply redirect them to Bytemaster's blog or elsewhere if you know a better source of info to address the questions you can't answer. BM has created a huge block of info that addresses many many issues in his blog.
  +5%

Offline infovortice2013

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • BitShares en español
  • BitShares: traderx
In this case I believe fluxer555 is exactly correct. However, why such a dualistic perspective, why can't it be both?

With all the money in the world, with a mature product that's possible, but until then focus on the root problem and put scarce resources to use on what will have the greatest effect. You help a few customers 1 by 1 and it helps, but if you resolve the underlying problems for all users you solve the issue for all. i.e. dealing with the root cause is the better, wiser place to spend scarce resources. The community should voluntarily handle the noobs and tech support load and let the devs fix the usability issues. I'm not opposed to allocating delegate resources to address tech support, but in due time.

I kindof see this as representative of pushing the problem off onto someone else to handle. Take responsibility for yourself and donate some of your time to help the noobs with tech support or questions. You don't need to be an expert, just share what you DO know. There's no shame in using the sentence "I don't know". Most of us have all gone thru the experience of installing a wallet, finding a way to buy BTS and getting it transferred into the wallet. Simply help newbies out by sharing your own experience in doing that, which doesn't require being deeply technical.

Remember back when you got started and try to supply some help and assurance in the same way you wanted it back then. Just help get new folks past the initial hump. If we all spent 15 minutes doing this we wouldn't need to divert critical resources away from hacking at the root of the problem.

As for answering deeper tech questions that's a bit tougher. Do what you can as Delulo says, and simply redirect them to Bytemaster's blog or elsewhere if you know a better source of info to address the questions you can't answer. BM has created a huge block of info that addresses many many issues in his blog.

hope see you helping a lot of people

each people that recieve a good help and explain of tecnical shit will do the same for others in other forums only for show hey i now it and like to share with you.

ey bitsharestalk is not the center of universe, and usually people arriving some of they high tech and if resolve his questios be sure they spread the word outside.

can see on spanish section in forum, coders they taking delegates but spanish section is empty, his write to explain tech or help other is cero, but ok when they wanna sell his products and conservate the delegate earning they will do. YES FOR THE PAYMENT

But just think about too ey now is like you stay in garage while first apple is created, maybe can shares ideas or visions to make it strong(not take money equal) but its time to create apple not to resolve questions of curious that come arround. or launch marketing etc..

like im not a coder and stay arround from  keyhotee beggining, equal im not rockefeler but put inside 95% cryto,,, just for this days start to think like this, what the fuck im doing here? donating my time to help others and wasting my time making blog and post in forums to spread the word, for others take big money. So maybe not just me thinking like this.

But be sure without people atracting investors by different ways, bts price that are catched by delegates maybe was de half. So maybe you can think this delegate for noobs and technical questions make that coders dont need 2x or 3x delegates per head. Same way maybe is good another delegate for share with evangelist.

and usually new people not have good attention later talk it to others. like in normal bussines 1 unhappy client put out 20 possible clients.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 12:02:03 pm by infovortice2013 »
New Keyoteeid: 5rUhuLCDWUA2FStkKVRTWYEqY1mZhwpfVdRmYEvMRFRD1bqYAL
new08/21 id 5Sjf3LMuYPSeNnjLYXmAoHj5Z6TPCmwmfXD6XwDmg27dwfQ

Offline Thom

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 07:43:36 am by Thom »
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline hpenvy2

• View Profile
maybe setting up a delegate to give support via skype. this delegate would be always or most part of the time, available to help people with technical stuff. could even make skype sessions. people could apply on a thread and the delegate would schedule each session. kinda like a call center but since the delegate probably won't have multiple people working for him (at least for now), instead of people calling up via skype, he could schedule each session. basically his job would be constantly helping people out on the Technical forum section and doing those sessions on skype.

This is the wrong approach. The reason we feel the need for something like this so badly is because the client needs to be more usable. I'd much rather put time and money into usability than customer support.

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. This is exactly the reason businesses have customer service and technical resources available. No matter how basic the issue, people will need some type of assistance. No matter how easy you make the client, there will always be issues that could better be addressed by a knowledgeable tech than a pointer to some FAQ. If people come in the front door, we better do everything we can to lock the backdoor and close the windows.

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile

Offline sudo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: ags

Offline hpenvy2

• View Profile

That's a great idea!

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I've noticed that some newbies post in the Newbies subforum, but that posts in the General and Tech subs get more responses. I say we eliminate the newbies subforum.

Offline infovortice2013

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • BitShares en español
  • BitShares: traderx
New Keyoteeid: 5rUhuLCDWUA2FStkKVRTWYEqY1mZhwpfVdRmYEvMRFRD1bqYAL
new08/21 id 5Sjf3LMuYPSeNnjLYXmAoHj5Z6TPCmwmfXD6XwDmg27dwfQ