Author Topic: Bitshares now has a professional PR initiative  (Read 30811 times)

Tuck Fheman

Even spokesman's voice should be vetted by the developers .

There should be a bunch of committee's formed to approve each individuals opinions, then another committee to approve that committee's opinion and then have a vote among those committee's to determine if we the people get to hear any of those opinions, then a single entity to proclaim the committee's have decided we can/can't hear those opinions. But we should vote (from a group of people determined by another sekrut committee) on who that single entity is, until ultimately we're all completely disillusioned by the massiveness and furtiveness of said system.

But, then again ... my opinion hasn't been vetted by a committee yet, so take it for what you will.

Tuck Fheman

PR crisis by announcing that there won't be any PR crisis anymore.

You sir are making far too much sense, banish him! ... until someone approves his post first.

Tuck Fheman

If this was in place a year ago ... I'd probably just be hearing about BitShares now ... while the dev's hash out what can/can't be said publicly and wait for approval. 

:P

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
This might only be a symptom of the limitations imposed by using a forum as the medium for communication vs. possibly other newer methods.

https://slack.com

yup
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 12:20:01 pm by cass »
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Tuck Fheman

I am also divided .. I really liked the openess and it was a 'feature' that most other coins lack

Tuck Fheman

This might only be a symptom of the limitations imposed by using a forum as the medium for communication vs. possibly other newer methods.

https://slack.com

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
Funny how we already solved this problem with DPOS. What do you do when centralization causes bad PR? You move away from centralization. What do you do when you need some element of centralized control? You scale decentralization down to select delegates.

Each person has their own quirks - there is no use relegating PR from one man to the next. If we don't want *everyone* to know, we can still send it out to 11 people for peer review. We can do the multi-sig dance and require 6 of the 11 people to approve a given "official" statement.

thats why we have to from a global PR Team!!!!!
Not just eastern or western - GLOBALLLL!!!!!

@delulo: well said, 2nd that!
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

38PTSWarrior

Good that is has been temporary removed because the first few sentences I thought bytemaster is writing it..

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
This PR initiative is very understandable to me from how the Chinese side experienced Bitshares and from the trouble they had with Bitshares: Open discussions about possible strategic changes in English that were easily interpreted as announcements and led to a ton of FUD. I therefore appreciate this initiative also since the Chinese community is essential to the success of Bitshares! So I appreciate the initiative and think that James is a great person to handle this!

On the other side I think it is highly inappropriate for the English speaking side of the Bitshares community, for a few reasons:
1. The English of the announcement is not worthy of a Spokesman that is communicating in English. Try to picture how this is perceived from the outside: A non public perception sensitive communication (before this announcement) is replaced by communication with broken English.
2. I don't think BM and devs should not say anything in public anymore. There is more than all or nothing. Good PR / strategic comm. means communication that is aware of public perception and consistent in it's message but not non existent!
3. Bytemaster and his authenticity are unique in this space (and beyond). Much of the reason why I like to be here is that he let's others take part in his vision. I just always hoped that BM would be open to honest and constructive feedback to align the message he intents to put out there with the one that is received by the public.
4. How aware can James be of western narratives like this https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=13065.msg172599#msg172599. I am a bit sad that community feedback was ignored  that could have achieved (3).

Suggestion: A PR team for Bitshares which is shaped by its two relatively separate Chinese and Western Communities has to:
a) consist of a western and an eastern part that work together on a consistent message but adapt their communications according to the specifics of their audience (and I think James is the most excellent person for the Chinese side of this!!).
b) give BM as much freedom to express his vision while aligning the intended message with the perceived message and align the strategic goals of the Bitshares project with the way Bitshares is communicated (example: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=12585.0;all).

I tried to get a PR-feedback-as-a-service-group for the core dev team going (mumble session Jan. 16.). Everyone (incl. BM) was happy about the initiative. I messaged BM a few times here on the forum about it to get it going - no reply.

One essential rule to avoid PR disasters would be: Vet your actions with everyone involved. If we assume that the western marketing community (nullstreet) is a group that has an opinion on the PR matter, then this rule has been ignored here with a predictable result. 

I know James has a very good reputation among our eastern community members, and I am sure that is well deserved. Because of this, I will give him the benefit of the doubt that his intentions are pure and just.

However, I have to say that I his post on Bytemaster's Blog today did not have the signs of a good, professionally written piece of PR. It had several grammatical errors, awkward sentence structures, and tended to read like a damage control piece.

By "public relations", does he simply mean "speech advisor" ? His list of (7) decrees to limit the speech of the devs is appropriate and understandable in the context of private advisory, but a PR professional would never have posted something like that publicly.

That said, I wonder if James would be open to answering a few questions....

1. Is he only working in an advisory capacity to the devs, or does he plan to try and coordinate with all BitShares delegates?

2. Where is his operation based - China or the US? How much time will he focus on western markets, vs. eastern markets?

3. Does he plan to aggressively pursue relationships with western media contacts? Does he have any experience with Public Relations in the United States or Europe?

4. How soon can we expect Press Releases distributed over 1st tier western wires like PR newswire, Business Wire, or PR Web? This is a cornerstone to good PR, but is relatively expensive ($250 - $1000 per Press Release). Is he receiving funds from "Invictus" (aka. BM), or will he be relying entirely on delegate pay?

Keep in mind that good Public Relations means a steady and consistent feed of information, in order to help to "shape" the narrative. Let us keep a close eye on how well this job is handled...
+5%

Therefore we'll need a seperate investor site / Channel ... just my 2 cents!
  +5%
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 11:19:32 am by delulo »

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
What an incredibly bad idea... f*ck truth and openness, confidence don't come from those overrated virtues.

And if people react badly to THIS, what an awesome meta-fail :

What will happen to the developer hangout mumble sessions ? Please don't tell me Daniel Larimer will be replaced by James.

James has an account here - https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=21

Why is James keeping quiet amid a terrible PR crisis unfolding? Is he not "The Spokesman"?

I think because of the fact that all of the developers are sleeping and the spokeman need to communicate with the developers first before jumping out and say anything . Even spokesman's voice should be vetted by the developers . 
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
What an incredibly bad idea... f*ck truth and openness, confidence don't come from those overrated virtues.

And if people react badly to THIS, what an awesome meta-fail :

What will happen to the developer hangout mumble sessions ? Please don't tell me Daniel Larimer will be replaced by James.

James has an account here - https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=21

Why is James keeping quiet amid a terrible PR crisis unfolding? Is he not "The Spokesman", the newly appointed BitShares' PR?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:43:47 am by cube »
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Funny how we already solved this problem with DPOS. What do you do when centralization causes bad PR? You move away from centralization. What do you do when you need some element of centralized control? You scale decentralization down to select delegates.

Each person has their own quirks - there is no use relegating PR from one man to the next. If we don't want *everyone* to know, we can still send it out to 11 people for peer review. We can do the multi-sig dance and require 6 of the 11 people to approve a given "official" statement.

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile

And if people react badly to THIS, what an awesome meta-fail : PR crisis by announcing that there won't be any PR crisis anymore. I am not sure that the Chinese style of communication will give much confidence to the western shareholders.

I think the general idea is that to give the actual information to the shareholders instead of just random thoughts that was supposed to be on private channel but made its way to become public information to affect all the shareholders .

Shareholders wants actual information .
Shareholders wants to know "what's happening with the project" without everyone says different answers .

I don't see this thing is shutting up openness . In fact , it would bring more openness in a way that benefit multiple parties instead of just us the regulars who have time to go through the forum .

Mumble section is the way people have been suggesting to go through all informal debates and ideas , but we keep coming back to the forum . Anyone knows we have also have a community skype groups to discuss ideas ?

If you're putting the information on the forum , then you have to prepare a solution for people around the world .
If you are hosting a mumble section , then the discussion would be more suited for premature thoughts and unclear messages .

It's hard to do that in a short time when the forum was nearly the sole source of major decisions for the past year . Even the merger was base on "forum vote" instead of shareholder' vote .
I've already pictured several potential "free discussion" that could have make more damage on the project .
But no , I wouldn't tell you guys what those discussion would be in case some competitors bate us into that corner .  :P
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

And if people react badly to THIS, what an awesome meta-fail : PR crisis by announcing that there won't be any PR crisis anymore. I am not sure that the Chinese style of communication will give much confidence to the western shareholders.

I think the general idea is that to give the actual information to the shareholders instead of just random thoughts that was supposed to be on private channel but made its way to become public information to affect all the shareholders .

Shareholders wants actual information .
Shareholders wants to know "what's happening with the project" without everyone says different answers .

I don't see this thing is shutting up openness . In fact , it would bring more openness in a way that benefit multiple parties instead of just us the regulars who have time to go through the forum .

Mumble section is the way people have been suggesting to go through all informal debates and ideas , but we keep coming back to the forum . Anyone knows we have also have a community skype groups to discuss ideas ?

If you're putting the information on the forum , then you have to prepare a solution for people around the world .
If you are hosting a mumble section , then the discussion would be more suited for premature thoughts and unclear messages .

We have several skype groups to achieve this and also our new weapon SLACK where all devs are invited to get into on closed channel for discussing things privately before releasing into the wild!
Again we're talking just about project senstive data like developement steps etc ... this is not an attack on forum freedom of speech
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 01:07:35 pm by cass »

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:00:57 am by cass »