Author Topic: Bitshares now has a professional PR initiative  (Read 31313 times)

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile

What an incredibly bad idea... f*ck truth and openness, confidence don't come from those overrated virtues.

And if people react badly to THIS, what an awesome meta-fail : PR crisis by announcing that there won't be any PR crisis anymore. I am not sure that the Chinese style of communication will give much confidence to the western shareholders.

What will happen to the developer hangout mumble sessions ? Please don't tell me Daniel Larimer will be replaced by James.

I think the general idea is that to give the actual information to the shareholders instead of just random thoughts that was supposed to be on private channel but made its way to become public information to affect all the shareholders .

Shareholders wants actual information .
Shareholders wants to know "what's happening with the project" without everyone says different answers .

I don't see this thing is shutting up openness . In fact , it would bring more openness in a way that benefit multiple parties instead of just us the regulars who have time to go through the forum .

Mumble section is the way people have been suggesting to go through all informal debates and ideas , but we keep coming back to the forum . Anyone knows we have also have a community skype groups to discuss ideas ?

If you're putting the information on the forum , then you have to prepare a solution for people around the world .
If you are hosting a mumble section , then the discussion would be more suited for premature thoughts and unclear messages .
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

lzr1900

Offline inarizushi

• View Profile
What an incredibly bad idea... f*ck truth and openness, confidence don't come from those overrated virtues.

And if people react badly to THIS, what an awesome meta-fail : PR crisis by announcing that there won't be any PR crisis anymore. I am not sure that the Chinese style of communication will give much confidence to the western shareholders.

What will happen to the developer hangout mumble sessions ? Please don't tell me Daniel Larimer will be replaced by James.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Quick question: does the spokesman have a mail adress?

Offline roadscape

If we're to take that first blog post as an indication of the quality of work to expect, it fails to convince. As others have pointed out, it's full of awkward sentences and grammatical errors, I recommend bringing on board a native English speaker to write the English press releases in the future.

Yes, and the title contradicts the content. We should consider a rewrite, or at least changing the title to "BitShares PR Proposal, by James Gong".
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
I'm glad for this development.

The typos/missing words in the post undermine the whole thing though and it's over-apologetic.  I jumped on github last night to make corrections but they've not been edited in.  I'd like to know more about Dacx.

I'd be very happy to be an editor of the releases.

+5% +5% +5%
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline matt608

• View Profile
I'm glad for this development.

The typos/missing words in the post undermine the whole thing though and it's over-apologetic.  I jumped on github last night to make corrections but they've not been edited in.  I'd like to know more about Dacx.

I'd be very happy to be an editor of the releases.

Writing sample:
http://forum.nullstreet.com/index.php/688-animated-explainer-video-script/p1#p7640
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 09:24:01 am by matt608 »

Offline svk

I think something like this is long overdue, although I'm worried this might be too draconian.

If we're to take that first blog post as an indication of the quality of work to expect, it fails to convince. As others have pointed out, it's full of awkward sentences and grammatical errors, I recommend bringing on board a native English speaker to write the English press releases in the future.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
PR is needed and it will be very easy to change the public mind once there are products for the people. speaking of lightwallet and webwallet.

However, I think core devs shouldn't post under their known handle, there's a spokesperson now.

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
I get the feeling from this that it is a knee-jerk reaction to what happened with toast last week.

I don't know if this is the right course to take. This might only be a symptom of the limitations imposed by using a forum as the medium for communication vs. possibly other newer methods.

I guess that wouldn't stop the off cuff commentary.. but maybe instead of putting it in the hands of one.. take efforts to train the culture of the devs to just follow certain protocols. In the end they will be more cohesive I would think.

I dunno just some thoughts.

I thought this was a long over due issue .
As I recalled , we've been dancing with the same shoe , "cause panic"-----"clear it"------"share price drop"-----"more panic decisions"---"clear".... In the end , we don't even have energy to grow the eco-system , just damage control . And the effects of those controls is getting weaker and weaker , because the market is tired of those mess .

If we have hundreds of free developers working for the project , then I say go ignore the voice of the market . But we don't , and share price did matters now more than ever . It's about if BitShares can offers a competitive income to further the development budget in the long run . 

After DevShares was created , I've been thinking , what's the key difference between DevShares and BitShares ?
The answer becomes clear . BitShares is the one project that has better chance of success , the one project who would have the largest scale of support .

Whoever has that kind of support , it's the real BitShares .

BitShares can only grow if we can gain the most network effect . especially in the economical sense like business adoption , investments , speculators , etc ....  If we can't ensure that  , then BitShares would eventually become DevShares , and another clone who can do better than us would become the real BitShares .

Network effect , that was the idea behind the merger in the first place .
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 07:47:28 am by btswildpig »

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
I'd like to propose that even ideas put forth by "names" where a possible Developer identity is either known, unknown or suspected - just having that "proxy" in place, weak or not, can still offer a beneficial degree of separation in that the Developer themselves are not using the weight of their real, open identity to state that opinion or idea.

These rules can still allow capture of a high percentage of potential benefit while incurring a small percentage of potential cost.

Works for NewMine.

Wow  ,NewMine is a fake name ???  :P I must be confused ...

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
I am also divided .. I really liked the openess and it was a 'feature' that most other coins lack

So , those developers that never talked with you on the forum , you think they're lack of openness ?

well .... if you kindly ask , I think you can talk with all of our developers on some channels besides the forum .

What the developers need should be provide more information to the public to achieve more openness by any means "properly" .
Openness in the end is about more information , not about the need to "talk" .

So far , our "openness" is only the privilege of those who can talk to developers individually only because they have more free time .
Many people didn't even know a discussion have been in place on the forum after days . 

Even something big like the merger , most people who affected the most were only realized that after all the discussion have took place .
This kind of openness only benefit the forum regulars , not the majority if the community members .

Offline bobmaloney

I'd like to propose that even ideas put forth by "names" where a possible Developer identity is either known, unknown or suspected - just having that "proxy" in place, weak or not, can still offer a beneficial degree of separation in that the Developer themselves are not using the weight of their real, open identity to state that opinion or idea.

These rules can still allow capture of a high percentage of potential benefit while incurring a small percentage of potential cost.

Works for NewMine.

;D
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline Riverhead

Works for NewMine.