Author Topic: Bitshares now has a professional PR initiative  (Read 31198 times)

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

I get the feeling from this that it is a knee-jerk reaction to what happened with toast last week.

I don't know if this is the right course to take. This might only be a symptom of the limitations imposed by using a forum as the medium for communication vs. possibly other newer methods.

I guess that wouldn't stop the off cuff commentary.. but maybe instead of putting it in the hands of one.. take efforts to train the culture of the devs to just follow certain protocols. In the end they will be more cohesive I would think.

I dunno just some thoughts.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline bobmaloney

I'd like to propose that even ideas put forth by "names" where a possible Developer identity is either known, unknown or suspected - just having that "proxy" in place, weak or not, can still offer a beneficial degree of separation in that the Developer themselves are not using the weight of their real, open identity to state that opinion or idea.

These rules can still allow capture of a high percentage of potential benefit while incurring a small percentage of potential cost.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I am also divided .. I really liked the openess and it was a 'feature' that most other coins lack

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
I think everybody wants a different BitShares .

Some want a BitShares they can talk to the developers on the forum freely even with some damaging subject regardless if it would hurt the share price or developers' income base on that price .

Some want to talk to the developers through all kinds of private channel without hurting all the other parties' interest by premature information that lead to confusion .

Some want a BitShares to be a successful business and earn decent delegate income or return on investment by contributing their time and money in it .

Some want a BitShares that can provide them more information of the project without hurting the further development . There are all kinds of transparency , there are some ways won't cause panic and confusion .

Over all , the best BitShares is the kind of BitShares that can grow against all hardship , not the kind of BitShares that can make everybody happy . If you want happiness , I think there are more easy ways to be happy , like watching TV  . 

Our mission in life is to secure life , liberty and property for all , not to provide happiness for all .

This should have been the PR announcement! 

The PR announcement makes it sound like a complete and utter lockdown of a high security prison.  I hope from time to time the dev's will spend some time speaking about what's being worked on and where BTS is headed.  A spokesperson is not always the most knowledgeable and often deflects difficult questions.

I for one will miss Dan's crazy idea's that sparked heated debates thread after thread.  This is what drew me into the BTS community as the core dev's and community as a whole all put their heads together to better the product.

Who is to say other crazy idea posted by other "names" that caused debate wasn't someone in the core dev team ?  :P
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile

Some want a BitShares they can talk to the developers on the forum freely even with some damaging subject regardless if it would hurt the share price or developers' income base on that price .

Some want to talk to the developers through all kinds of private channel without hurting all the other parties' interest by premature information that lead to confusion .

Some want a BitShares to be a successful business and earn decent delegate income or return on investment by contributing their time and money in it .

Some want a BitShares that can provide them more information of the project without hurting the further development . There are all kinds of transparency , there are some ways won't cause panic and confusion .

Over all , the best BitShares is the kind of BitShares that can grow against all hardship , not the kind of BitShares that can make everybody happy . If you want happiness , I think there are more easy ways to be happy , like watching TV  . 

Our mission in life is to secure life , liberty and property for all , not to provide happiness for all .

This should have been the PR announcement! 

The PR announcement makes it sound like a complete and utter lockdown of a high security prison.  I hope from time to time the dev's will spend some time speaking about what's being worked on and where BTS is headed.  A spokesperson is not always the most knowledgeable and often deflects difficult questions.

I for one will miss Dan's crazy idea's that sparked heated debates thread after thread.  This is what drew me into the BTS community as the core dev's and community as a whole all put their heads together to better the product.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:37:53 am by Brekyrself »

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
-5%

I am disappointed that it has come to this.

This is not good for the market. Now we have to factor in the element of surprise because no discussion will take place. Transparency was what made this community unique.

I think transparency comes in many ways .
I've never seen some reputable charity organization posted on forums often , but I don't think anyone would doubt their transparency .
Why ? Because they don't need to post threads on the forum to be transparent .

The idea of transparency is all about the communication of information .
Whatever method that can do the best with the less cost , would be the best transparency of all .

We're going in o a corner . While we're enjoying the illusion of "transparency by threads" , we actually have little solid and useful information into the project . We have to chase a individual developer down for a simple technical answer , we have to chase somebody in order to know what's going on with the project . What about those who don't have time to chase them ? Where is the transparency they needed ?

So , in the end , the information was limited to a group of people the whole time . Whoever has the time to chase a developer , gets the most information . Is this kind of transparency that we would enjoy in the long run ?
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:04:26 am by btswildpig »

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
-5%

This is not good for the market. Now we have to factor in the element of surprise because no discussion will take place. Transparency was what made this community unique.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Fine with me. I'd just ask that the PR representative (1) have someone proofread his written content before posting it and (2) please take a positive attitude towards BitShares. I thought today's article was quite well-written overall and I liked it, but there were some minor errors that should be fixed by an editor/proofreader. Also, it apologized for way too much. We don't need to do that; the past is done and new users don't know or care. Let's look forward with the tremendous potential of this transformative technology and how it can help the world.

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile

The Core Developers (including any member thereof individually) should make no comment on any subject on the forum unless approved by and posted through the Spokesman.

-5%

This is a sad day for BitShares and all its freedom-loving followers!  "to be approved by the Spokesman"  really??  Who is this mighty and all powerful Spokesman?

Frodo has a good reminder for us.

But wouldn't it be wrong to center everything about freedom and then hide your opinions because of fear how people will perceive you? Wouldn that proof, that we fail at achieving freedom even at such a basic level and yet we try at such a large scale?

Are we entering into a new era of Communism?

I think this is capitalism , right ?
Communism is for political and economical controlling purpose .
Not about business . Everything about this thing is what business does in the western world . 

Offline wasthatawolf

"nor speak of their ideas"

Is this post a fucking joke? 

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube

The Core Developers (including any member thereof individually) should make no comment on any subject on the forum unless approved by and posted through the Spokesman.

-5%

This is a sad day for BitShares and all its freedom-loving followers!  "to be approved by the Spokesman"  really??  Who is this mighty and all powerful Spokesman?

Frodo has a good reminder for us.

But wouldn't it be wrong to center everything about freedom and then hide your opinions because of fear how people will perceive you? Wouldn that proof, that we fail at achieving freedom even at such a basic level and yet we try at such a large scale?

Are we entering into a new era of Communism?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 05:23:29 am by cube »
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
BTS is sell for money and will continue to grow by dilution (again , money ). I guess that makes all the difference from other open source projects .

When Bitcoin's dilution from mining can no longer pay for its security we'll see what people think of dilution then. PoW = dilution. Why we got hit over the head with it I'm not sure. Perhaps because we're (D)PoS? Maybe we just needed better PR  :P .

The idea of DPOS dilution is that we can spare some % of growth towards further development .
But if we can't generate growth due to PR mistakes , then dilution becomes nightmare .
We must grow the price so that dilution can be our greatest weapon .

Offline Riverhead

BTS is sell for money and will continue to grow by dilution (again , money ). I guess that makes all the difference from other open source projects .

When Bitcoin's dilution from mining can no longer pay for its security we'll see what people think of dilution then. PoW = dilution. Why we got hit over the head with it I'm not sure. Perhaps because we're (D)PoS? Maybe we just needed better PR  :P .

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile

To win we must first make it to the finish. While this leaves a bad taste in all of our mouths there is a reason corporations do this. It works. This community has seen the horrific affects of open discussion in the form of, "The Post Heard Around the World". To paraphrase a  pop culture expression, "Don't hate the player hate the game". We must adapt to an irrational and reactionary world.

I hate to imaging if the share price cut in half and what would happen to the further development of this project . I know somebody already can't pay ends meal if this keep happening .

I know that wouldn't affect some small projects , but projects will millions of lines of code like ours and we don't have the free developer base like Linux , I don't think we can easily choose a style that "we enjoy" but a style that we can "afford" .

It's the reality , like you said .