Author Topic: On becoming a delegate - a few simple questions  (Read 1944 times)

Offline karnal

• View Profile
I see. Congrats on your website, it's very useful.

If anyone else has anything to add, feel free.

Offline svk

Noted, svk and delulo - so, essentially, doing something productive :)

I'm a bit stumped on the no automatic downvotes, pretty sure I read it somewhere yesterday, perhaps even @bytemaster's blog. Must be outdated info.

How about sub-delegates? Say someone wants to run 10 delegates from different locations for resilliency. According to docs I've found, this should be done with subaccounts, yes?

If yes: How does voting work then? Do people vote for the 'master' account while all the subaccounts reap the benefits?

When using subaccounts, should each subaccount have a specific goal in mind, or it does not make sense to subdivide like that?

Exactly :)

To me the main advantage of sub-accounts is basically branding, it let's you keep a common name for all delegates if you desire to run multiples. I'd say good practice is to use a descriptive name for the sub name that explains the purpose of the delegate.

Even if they're on sub-accounts however they still need direct votes for them, there's no propagation of votes for a master account.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Noted, svk and delulo - so, essentially, doing something productive :)

I'm a bit stumped on the no automatic downvotes, pretty sure I read it somewhere yesterday, perhaps even @bytemaster's blog. Must be outdated info.

How about sub-delegates? Say someone wants to run 10 delegates from different locations for resilliency. According to docs I've found, this should be done with subaccounts, yes?

If yes: How does voting work then? Do people vote for the 'master' account while all the subaccounts reap the benefits?

When using subaccounts, should each subaccount have a specific goal in mind, or it does not make sense to subdivide like that?

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Besides running a tight & stable ship (read: no security incidents and excellent uptime), what incentive is there for people to vote for a certain delegate?
If you run just as a security delegate then (besides uptime, techical/security set up, experience) mostly forum or real world reputation (as a business or as an individual). Also see https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=8148.0

Offline svk

Noted re the explorer site, thanks!

When you say there's no automating voting, you're talking only about automatic UPvoting, yes?

I am curious, out of the hundreds of delegates out there, what makes a particular one stand out? Besides running a tight & stable ship (read: no security incidents and excellent uptime), what incentive is there for people to vote for a certain delegate?

There's no automatic voting, neither up nor down. It was part of the original ideas for DPOS I believe but never got implemented.

As for how to stand out, you need to propose something that is of benefit to Bitshares. Take me for example: I built bitsharesblocks and also contribute to the GUI development. There are people doing marketing, or feed scripts, or security related stuff and lots of other stuff. Getting known here on the forum is definitely a good first step.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Noted re the explorer site, thanks!

When you say there's no automating voting, you're talking only about automatic UPvoting, yes?

I am curious, out of the hundreds of delegates out there, what makes a particular one stand out? Besides running a tight & stable ship (read: no security incidents and excellent uptime), what incentive is there for people to vote for a certain delegate?

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
First of all, it is my understanding that all clients will detect certain easy-to-spot misbehaving by delegates -- automatically, and downvote them accordingly. Is the opposite also true? Will longstanding well-behaving delegates be automatically upvoted?
There is no automatic voting.

What constellation of conditions is necessary for a delegate to reach the top 101? Does that list tend to stay the same, or it's always rotating, possibly enforced by the system?
You need people with stake (read BTS) to vote for you. Top 101 by amount of stake voted are delegates.

Is there some 'delegate explorer' website out there?
bitsharesblocks.com (thanks to svk)

Lastly, pertaining payouts, it is my understanding that delegates get paid in bitshares, correct?
How many bitshares will that be -- does it depend exclusively on the burn rate, or also something else?
Depends on the payrate. It is visible in bitsharesblocks.com

I read somewhere that at (that) the moment, a delegate is expected to get about $2500 equivalent in BTS, presumably for a month of service. Is this more or less right?
Depends on the exchange rate of BTS. Numbers vary.

If so, as an extremely well versed systems administrator who's fully comfortable with securing unix systems to high grade, what prevents me from setting up 100 delegates (I realize many/most would not make it to the top 101), wait for them to become stable and accepted in the network, and sit back & watch the money coming?
Delegates are voted in by stakeholders  (owners of BTS).

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Undoubtfully, delegates are a crucial part of BitShares. Being a security-focused IT person, it is only natural to marry that with my growing interest in bitshares.

Even after searching, a few things are still not clear. Hopefully some of you could help.

First of all, it is my understanding that all clients will detect certain easy-to-spot misbehaving by delegates -- automatically, and downvote them accordingly. Is the opposite also true? Will longstanding well-behaving delegates be automatically upvoted?

What constellation of conditions is necessary for a delegate to reach the top 101? Does that list tend to stay the same, or it's always rotating, possibly enforced by the system?

Is there some 'delegate explorer' website out there?

Lastly, pertaining payouts, it is my understanding that delegates get paid in bitshares, correct?
How many bitshares will that be -- does it depend exclusively on the burn rate, or also something else?

I read somewhere that at (that) the moment, a delegate is expected to get about $2500 equivalent in BTS, presumably for a month of service. Is this more or less right?

If so, as an extremely well versed systems administrator who's fully comfortable with securing unix systems to high grade, what prevents me from setting up 100 delegates (I realize many/most would not make it to the top 101), wait for them to become stable and accepted in the network, and sit back & watch the money coming?

Surely it cannot be that straightforward?